Tuesday, May 16, 2023

A DRIVE ALONG THE SNICKERSVILLE TURNPIKE, VIRGINIA - FRIDAY, MAY 5TH, 2023 - PART 3 - BATTLE OF ALDIE

Under the weather as we both have Covid.  I have left the comments on but it could be a while before I return any visits.  We are not feeling that great but it is always a joy to read them and thank you in advance.  It came as a bit of a shock as the cases are very low in our area.  Well, there you go, you can't take anything for granted.  

I scheduled a couple of posts before I got sick, for Wednesday and Thursday.

Now to continue with our trip along the SnickersvilleTurnpike.

This is for those interested in the history of the American Civil War.
As we continued our drive, we came across an interesting memorial.  It is for the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry Monument, the Battle of Aldie.  
As peaceful and as beautiful as this area is, very intense battles during the Civil War were fought along the turnpike.  At this link you will be able to read more information. The memorial is located on the Snickersville Turnpike, Route 734 near Route 650, Aldie, Virginia 20105.  You will find it on the right when traveling north.  The survivors erected a monument to mark the spot where the heaviest fighting took place, on a sharp curve in the road north of Aldie.
The above marker will be easier to read if you enlarge the photo...
and names are engraved on the side.
Whenever we come across these memorials, we find ourselves being very reflective.  
Will mankind ever be free of these conflicts?  I live in hope that the more people study history, perhaps enough seeds will be sown for the future.  It certainly has been a very long road.
The property behind the wall is part of the Furr Farm built in 1798.  It bore witness to the battle on June 17th, 1863.  The farm is privately owned but you can see many photos of the outside and inside if you go here.  It's like stepping back in time.

We continued on with our journey.  There will be two more posts after this.

 The sun is shining and it is quite warm.  I hope you are having the same kind of weather in your part of the world.  Thanks for looking. 





30 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! Were you able to get the medicine for it in time? Quite a few people that we know have Covid here, even our Pastor and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, they didn’t give us any medicine. I hope your Pastor and his wife are now recovered, as well as all those you know who have had it. We are fine now as I am very late catching up on comments as I got so far behind :)

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you are both unwell and hope you recover quickly and completely.
    Thank you so much for posting this beautiful and informative post when you were feeling less than stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, we are all recovered now :) Fortunately I had several posts done before I got sick and just added a few lines to update.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear me, sorry to read you both have Covid, hopefully you are not too bad and do have a speedy recovery.
    Lovely photos and certainly history there..
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, much appreciated and happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you are unwell and hope that you both feel better soon. We've just had our Spring booster for covid. It seems we have to live with the virus and get the vaccinations as a normal part of life these days. I'm glad you have blog posts already waiting so you can rest. It must be an interesting but poignant drive and the memorials are a good reminder of the history of this area along the Snickersville Turnpike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Linda and very true :) Fortunately we were also up to date on vaccines and are now recovered. Yes, a lot of history on this drive and as you say, poignant.

      Delete
  5. The photos are wonderful. Sorry that you have Covid at this point of time. Speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sor sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you're feeling better soon.
    That is such a beautiful area. That marker is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, all better now :) we love this area and thought the same about the marker.

      Delete
  7. That war was ferocious.

    When I was so sick in April, I tested for Covid several times and came away negative each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was, but war is always horrifying. That’s very interesting William. I hope you have a healthy year :)

      Delete
  8. Sorry to read that you both are under the weather and I wish you a speedy recovery, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. As I am a few weeks behind in answering all your lovely comments, we are fully recovered now :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos. So sorry you both got covid this is scary. All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine :) and for the sympathy, much appreciated :)

      Delete
  10. so sorry the virus grabbed you, mine lasted about 3 days of feeling really bad and 10 days of weak and don't care if i move attitude. hope yours is as easy as ours was. we both had it a few months ago. we have now had it twice. trying to decide if we want to get the newest booster. that monument is so beautiful, the horse is magnificent and the artist very gifted. it does make us think, and now we have monuments all over our country on city streets from the death and destruction my people not in the armed forces. I fear humans will never learn to not fight or learn to get along

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds just like what we had, except that my really bad stage lasted a week. Thankfully it is behind us now :) We will be getting our booster soon. I am sorry you have had it twice. Ugh!

      Let’s hope we will eventually learn but goodness, I know what you mean. We need to follow the Golden Rule more.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry! You take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, my bed and I were good friends for a couple of weeks. Way overdue on catching up with comments though and no ill health any more :).

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear you both have Covid and I hope you have someone to help or drop off food or do something kind for you. Meanwhile, I'm glad you got this trip in before you were sick. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeanie :) Our son and daughter-in-law took very good care of us. Felt very blessed but also didn’t want them to get sick either so followed the precautions. I was happy that I had a few posts to set up in advance. Thank you so much for your caring comments :)

      Delete
  13. Hello Denise, I've been away from the computer for several days and am sorry to read that you and hubby have the vid! Ugh. Hope you both feel tip top soon. Happy belated Mother's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellen, how lovely, thank you so much!

      Delete
  14. I'm so sorry that you are sick. Hoping to hear that you and hubby are feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dear Latane, well over it now thank you. Much appreciate your sweet comments :)

      Delete
  15. I hope you both recover rapidly from covid with no after effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red, we are back to normal now. I hope you and the micro manager are staying healthy :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!