Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A DRIVE ALONG THE SNICKERSVILLE TURNPIKE, VIRGINIA - FRIDAY, MAY 5TH, 2023 - PART 4

 I am taking a couple of days off.  I have left my comments on but will be very slow answering them.  However, I will answer all eventually.  Luckily I had a few posts already done and scheduled, which included this coming Saturday and Monday posts.  Hopefully I will be feeling better by next Tuesday, but if you don't see anything then, you'll know I am just resting up.  Gregg and I have Covid but we are being well taken care of.

We are looking across land that once belonged to the Phillips Family, dating back to about 1798.  It is part of The Waterford Foundation and a self-guided tour can be found here.

According to what I read on one of the signs, it said those line of trees are the Osage orange (also called hedgeapple) which were planted by farmers to create a natural hedge.  The signs I have included below may be difficult to read even when enlarged, so I will repeat the info as I go along, as well as adding other information I found, plus links if interested.  This is what an Osage orange looks like (all photos showing the fruits, including the bow, were found online).

When I read about them, I found that Native American tribes in the Plains quickly discovered that its strong yet flexible wood made superior-quality bows.  According to legend, a bow made from the Osage orange was worth as much as a horse and blanket for Native American traders.  Shown in the photo is obviously a modern-day one but made with that particular wood.
The fruits are 4 to 5 inches in diameter.  The surface is deeply grooved and rough, covered in wiry hairs.  Underneath the ridged surface, the flesh is dense, cream-colored to pale green, and contains 200 to 300 oblong, light brown, edible seeds. When the flesh is sliced, it releases a sticky, white liquid that can be irritating to the skin and may cause a rash. 
As read: "Osage oranges have a green, bitter flavor with a hint of cucumber and a fruity, citrus-like aroma. The flavor is generally unpleasant, unpalatable, and some may feel ill after ingesting the bitter fruit, causing many to deem it inedible." There is more here.
One last bit of information, its wood withstands rot and decay, making them ideal for fence posts. After the widespread introduction of barbed wire fencing, Osage orange remained the go-to tree for fencing use, but this time it was for the rot-resistant wood that could be fashioned into fence posts to hold the newly invented barbed wire. And my snowball rolling down hill is taking effect because I also found this interesting page on the history of barbed wire.  There is none used for fence posts showing the barbed wire below.  Well, enough of the Osage orange!
The Phillips family had an annual yield of 500 bushels of wheat, 400 lbs. of butter, 65 lbs. of wool and 60 lbs. of honey and beeswax.

Thomas and Rachel Phillips were Quakers and were against slavery and secession, which in this case meant the withdrawal of eleven southern states from the Union in 1860, leading to the Civil War.  More history on that subject can be found at this website.  The following photo is cropped from the one above.  It shows some of the artifacts found.
One of the facts I found very interesting was that the Phillips Farm is "a registered Monarch waystation.  Monarchs on their annual migration to and from Mexico, find nectar and host plants here.  Bees also thrive and produce honey just as they did centuries ago" and "Today, more than 200 years after Thomas Phillips began farming here, his practices of haymaking and beekeeping, continue on the farm."
Unfortunately, I didn't see the Belted Kingfisher.  There was no path or gateway that we could see. The Kingfishers and other birds can no doubt be seen along the creek amongst the trees.  (I found out later there is a trail that can be taken.)
I found the above photo at pixabay.com

Others mentioned were the Eastern Bluebird, the Great Blue Heron, Red-winged Blackbird and the Red-Tailed Hawk.

That's all for today.  I have another post after this, of Waterford Village.  It will be my last from our trip along the turnpike, and will be posted next week.






38 comments:

  1. How interesting Denise...thanks for the links.
    Speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continuing to educate me. I hope that you are both feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always trying to educate myself Sue, I am happy you are enjoying my posts. Thank you, as I am still way behind in my comments catch-up, we are both fine now :)

      Delete
  3. We used to call them Horse Apples....couldn't eat though.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting Donna, thanks for the new name. Sending hugs :)

      Delete
  4. such a beautiful place to visit. I would like to see a real live kingfisher. hope you are better and better each day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see a Kingfisher too Sandra :) all better now thank you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We have done plenty of resting up, thank you William :)

      Delete
  6. Feel better soon, enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Osage Orange is really weird looking! almost like felt from a distance. I have never seen one before. Oh gosh, I hope you both get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, all better now and yes it’s an interesting fruit.

      Delete
  8. P.S. We have Belted Kingfishers around here. And I heard the Richard Nixon was a Quaker. But that is hard for me to believe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a Kingfisher and yes, hard for me too. Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  9. Hello Denise :=) Reading about the very valuable Osage orange was very interesting, and the Philips Farm, and family also.
    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, much appreciated :) I am also happy you found my post interesting.

      Delete
  10. I've never seen these before and I didn't know about the wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) I enjoyed finding out myself.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry you and your husband are sick, Denise. Please take care, and I hope you feel better soon. I've never heard of an osage orange before. How interesting that the bows are made from the trees. That little Kingfisher bird is so cute.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) I am very late catching up here so we have been fine for some time now but I really appreciate your concern.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear that you are both unwell with the pesky virus. Enjoyed your post very much. I giggle every time I read the name Snickersville it makes me snicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :) We have a candy bar called Snickers. I couldn’t find a connection though.

      Delete
  13. Hello,
    I am sorry you and your hubby are not feeling well, I hope you are both better soon.
    The Kingfishers are one of my favorite birds. I enjoyed this post and your photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, we are all well now :) They do look like a lovely bird. I hope to see one eventually. Glad you enjoyed my post and you take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  14. Bardzo ciekawa wycieczka , nigdy nie widziałam zimorodka. Życzę Wam szybkiego powrotu do zdrowia😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo. oboje wyzdrowialiśmy z choroby. Zimorodka też nigdy nie widziałem.

      Delete
  15. So sorry to read that you and your husband have Covid, I do hope you feel better soon.
    I enjoyed your post, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a few weeks ago now Jan but I thank you for your concern. It has taken me a long time to catch up on replying to comments, and am still having a hard time seeing what I missed. I'm getting there though :) So glad you enjoyed this post. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  16. Sorry to hear you are both ill. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was very interesting, Denise. I'm glad you didn't restrict your comments even when you're not posting. I'm so sorry you both caught COVID. It's really not over even though I see a lot of people who think it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you found it interesting Kay. We are well over it now and things are returning to normal :) I agree, it's still around. All I know is that when we were wearing masks I didn't catch as much as a cold, but since the restrictions have been lessened, I've been sick at least three times, once with a cold, once with the flu and once with Covid. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

      Delete
  18. I need to visit more often. So sorry you and Gregg got Covid. Son and I got it last year on July 1. It was a relatively mild case apparently but it knocked me for a loop. Wishing you and Gregg a speedy recovery. Recovery was a process and not an event for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem on the visiting Yogi :) we have so many blogging friends and I think we all understand how hard it is to visit at times. I want to keep up with everyone but it's difficult. Yes, even these milder versions knock you for a loop. I felt awful and couldn't get out of bed for days, and then there was the feeling of utter exhaustion afterwards. It's not something to be taken lightly. Sorry to read that you and your son had it too. Gregg recovered relatively quickly but I have always been a slow healer, take after my dad that way.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!