Wednesday, May 10, 2023

IN A 1963 NEWSPAPER

 I thought you would enjoy this.  Click on to enlarge for an easier read.


“I had made up my mind to find that for which I was searching even if it required the remainder of my life. After innumerable failures I finally uncovered the principle for which I was searching, and I was astounded at its simplicity. I was still more astounded to discover the principle I had revealed not only beneficial in the construction of a mechanical hearing aid but it served as well as means of sending the sound of the voice over a wire. 
Another discovery which came out of my investigation was the fact that when a man gives his order to produce a definite result and stands by that order it seems to have the effect of giving him what might be termed a second sight which enables him to see right through ordinary problems. What this power is I cannot say; all I know is that it exists and it becomes available only when a man is in that state of mind in which he knows exactly what he wants and is fully determined not to quit until he finds it.”











Bell was born on March 3, 1847, in Edinburgh, Scotland. After attending school in Scotland and London, the 23-year-old immigrated to Canada with his parents in 1870. The following year, Bell moved to the United States to teach at the Boston School for the Deaf. After gaining fame for developing the telephone, the inventor became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1882.

Baptized Alexander Bell, the inventor longed for a middle name as a child, perhaps to differentiate himself from his father and grandfather, who were both named Alexander. On the boy’s 11th birthday, Bell’s father allowed the youngster to adopt the middle name “Graham” in honor of Alexander Graham, a former student of his who was boarding with the family.


More facts about Alexander Graham Bell can be found at this website.





34 comments:

  1. Interesting story about his name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting indeed, little did he know what the telephone would become Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was right too. Though in many ways I think it is a mixed blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would agree with you there too Sue :)

      Delete
  4. Bardzo interesujące informacje. Telegon to wspaniały wynalazek ułatwia życie .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo się zgadzam. To wspaniały wynalazek.

      Delete
  5. I cannot imagine the length of time it took to go from an idea to a cell phone! Incredible...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating to learn this, thanks Donna, sending hugs :)

      Delete
  6. i love the article and read it. we all saw what was coming on the Jetsons show and on the Flintstones, this article was 5 months before I got married. our world is another world since then and hard to believe. also hard to believe there are adults with kids that were not even alive back then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that people had the insight of what was coming in those old shows :)

      Delete
  7. The future is now. The George Jetson and Dick Tracy technology are here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed and we have only touched the tip of the iceburg :)

      Delete
  8. That newspaper article and photo shows just how far we have come, Denise. Wouldn't it be amazing if AGB could see how the telephone has evolved from his invention. Did you have that old newspaper clipping in your collection as it looks to be from an Ohio paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it would be amazing for him to see how his creation has evolved :) It was a photo of an old newspaper clipping I have had in my collection for a while. I forget where I got it originally, online I know. It would be interesting if it was an Ohio paper.

      Delete
  9. Dear Denise :=)
    The newspaper article is a great find and so interesting, It's incredible how far we have come since then, but also I find it astonishing that hand held phones had already been made and on show as far back as 1963, although only in the development stage, the future was in the making. It doesn't seem so long ago that we all had telephones like the red one, that is the same model, not the colour.

    Alexander Graham Bell was the inventor of the telephone but even he did not realise how advanced technology would become, but thanks to him, other ideas evolved from his invention. He definitely was a man with a vision, and eventually he found it. I read with interest his beliefs, what an extraordinary man he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sonjia, so glad you found it interesting and it is incredible isn’t it? I was very surprised about the hand-held one. I also remember the mobile phones that first came out and I only saw them in movies. One had Michelle Ffeiffer looking very sophisticated with a mobile as big as a brick attached to a brief case. I remember our old phone like the one you mentioned, ours was black and we had a party-line with one of our neighbors. I agree with you about AGB. We do have a lot to thank him for and yes, he was extraordinary.

      Delete
  10. That's a great newspaper clipping from 1963. Hats off to Alexander Graham Bell for his perseverance in development.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Denise, a very interesting read ...
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, you are very welcome and I am glad you found it interesting. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  12. Great interesting find.
    Made me think of things I used to wish existed, way back in the day (like a computer small enough I could have at home, a way to see the person you were talking to on the phone), and look where technology has bought us to today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I don’t think I will ever get over this amazing technology :)

      Delete
  13. Fascinating and so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was very interesting about Alexander Graham Bell. Hey... we were in Edinburgh. What fun! Had no idea he was born there or that he moved around so much. We were there to see the Royal Yacht Britannia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very interesting man wasn't he Kay? How exciting you were in Edinburgh. I look forward to reading your post. Still catching up every so slowly but I will be over soon. The last time I was in Edinburgh was when I was 21 years' old. I went camping with a couple of friends for a week. We had an incredible time catching the bus to these different places. Folks were very hospitable and only too willing to help with directions.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!