Friday, August 26, 2022

BITS AND BOBS

I am sharing a few photos that I have had in my folder and hopefully there are no repeats.  I haven't been to any gardens lately, so I am glad I can share these.  Hopefully there are no repeats.The bridge, the Canada Goose and the reflection of people, was taken at Meadowlark Gardens on our last trip.  I love watching the few geese that take up residence.  I don't think too many are encouraged but it's very nice to see the few.The Golden Ragwort is always very pretty.  I am not sure what the white blooms in the middle are.

I am thankful that we still have a few trees at home.  We hope to replace the ones we had to take down last year.  I saw a hawk sitting on a branch a couple of weeks ago in our neighbor's yard, but nothing since.  I always keep my camera with the zoom lens on the table next to where I am sitting, just in case.  This was the only photo I could get before it flew away seconds later. Unfortunately, its face was obscured. You may remember I stopped filling the bird feeders and the smaller birds have been scarce.  The photos of our feathered friends are before I stopped feeding them during the summer months.  I find myself eager for the autumn as I miss them. 

 The Catbird is always a welcome visitor.  I cropped the one above and here is a closer look.The Mourning Doves were enjoying the rain.  At least I think they were, they didn't seem to want to seek shelter.Enjoying a good preening session too, still raining.This is a female Rose-breasted Grossbeak.  I never did see her mate.  The first time I have ever seen one in our garden was this year. 

Family stayed overnight recently. We enjoyed catching up as it had been a while and it was a fun visit.

I got these last two from Pinterest.

That's about it. Thank you for your visit.  I hope you are staying happy, healthy and I wish you all a great weekend.



34 comments:

  1. This honey info is truly incredible!!! The hawk is a good catch, he looks like the ones we have around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that information was indeed amazing. Thanks Ginny, these hawks are incredible.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful collection of photos. I too love golden ragwort and they look esp. beautiful with the white blooms at the background. Thank you for sharing them, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, and you are very welcome. So glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  3. Another delightful selection. I really like the sunflower snippet. Yet another species we could learn from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, we are always learning aren't we Sue :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. The hawk photo is a great capture, Denise. It's always nice to see your world through your camera lens. I hope you enjoy your weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoy my photos Martha Ellen. Thank you, you too :)

      Delete
  5. Wow. The honey info is outstanding. I did not realize that sunflowers share their energy. That looks like a red shouldered hawk?!! Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, I found that very interesting too, also the sunflowers. I don't know my hawks and I will always defer to your ID's. Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos of the birds. They are always fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    Lovely images of the flowers, birds and I love the first bridge reflection. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Eileen. Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Fico muito feliz que tenha gostado das minhas fotos. Obrigada. Um abraço e ótimo final de semana :)

      Delete
  9. I did not know this about sunflowers in shade. I guess this means they lift their faces towards the sun for a reason. that looks like a bashful hawk. we heard one last night when we went out for last call but could not find him in the tree. he was shrieking at the blue jays who were shrieking back at him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was news to me also Sandra. I wondered if the hawk was a young one, the elders don't seem to be quite as skittish but I am no expert by any means. That must have been quite a spectacle in your garden with the hawk and blue jay stand off :)

      Delete
  10. We do take 16oz of honey for granted

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Glad you enjoyed your family visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat to spot that hawk at your neighbors. Our birds are more scarce right now than a few weeks ago. Hooray for fun family visits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, I happened to look up at the right time and grabbed my camera. The birds must be heading south already, maybe? :) Yes, family visits are always fun. Thanks Ellen!

      Delete
  13. You got some nice shots. I love reflections. The hawk photo is great, they look so regal and their claws are powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yogi, reflections can be very cool in photography :) I agree with you about the hawk, I have always thought they were very noble looking.

      Delete
  14. I did not know that about sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither until I found this. Thanks William :)

      Delete
  15. You're wonderful with your camera, Denise, and get some beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciate the affirmation Jeanie, and happy you enjoyed. Thank you :)

      Delete
  16. Those mourning doves are so precious. I love everything about them - their soft beige feathers, their gentle cooooo, and the gentle birds that they are. I see them on my lawn all the time, and they are dear to me. I'm glad you see them around your neck of the woods too, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri, I love them too :) When the windows are open overnight, they make a lovely wake-up alarm with their soft cooing.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!