Monday, August 29, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - OATMEAL, BANANA PANCAKES - FREEZER FRIENDLY


Oatmeal Banana Pancakes (Freezer Friendly)

This came from "Red & Honey", which is a recipe, home and lifestyle, health & wellness blog hosted by Beth Ricci.  You can see that recipe here.   


Oatmeal Banana Pancakes

These freeze well.


Servings: 20 pancakes

Calories: 88kcal


1/4 cup butter melted

1 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons aluminium-free baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cup rolled oats or quick oats

2 eggs

2 cups milk, any kind

2 bananas mashed


Melt butter and set aside to cool

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and stir well

Combine cooled butter, milk, eggs and mashed banana in another bowl

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. There should be some lumps

Cook pancakes in a medium-high skillet until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden brown on other side.

If you plan to freeze leftovers, cool pancakes completely on a cooling rack and place layers of wax paper in between pancakes so they don’t stick together.

These were very good.  I added a tablespoon of vanilla and half a cup of chopped walnuts stirred into the batter.  One of the commenters suggested honey and apples also.

I used a tablespoon of maple syrup on top of mine, but was thinking, maybe next time I will use a little sugar and lemon juice sprinkled over.  I do that whenever I make crepes.  The way my dear mother used to make them, traditionally once a year on Shrove Tuesday, were only a little thicker than a crepe (always think of them as English pancakes), and again traditionally, always sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar.  They were divine.

A little powdered sugar might be nice, or a berry syrup? And of course, you can use your own favorite.

Served mine with strawberries and blueberries, they were delicious.

I had lots of leftovers and put batter in 1-cup freezer-proof containers.  The rest I cooked and sealed in freezer bags, with a piece of parchment paper between them.  It will be very nice to take them out and pop one in the microwave for a no-fuss breakfast.

A few days later in the evening I felt like a snack and got one pancake out of the freezer.  My pancakes, as I mentioned earlier, had walnuts added.  I put it in the microwave until it was heated through, rolled it up and ate it with a napkin wrapped around one end. With none of the usual additions like syrup or extra fruit, it tasted more savory and was very yummy.  I will definitely eat it that way again.  I didn't need supper after eating it.  It carried me through until the next morning.

One note about the ingredient Aluminum-free baking powder.  I checked mine and it didn't say aluminum-free.  I have never even noticed the type before.  I found a website at this link that says in part:

"What's the difference between aluminum-free baking powder and regular baking powder?

The main difference between aluminum-free baking powder and regular baking powder is that aluminum-free baking powder contains no aluminum and reacts with liquid instead of heat.  

The reality is that regular baking powder (with aluminum) leaves a bitter, metallic taste.  (A taste that is obviously off-putting.)"

I can't say I have ever noticed a metallic taste in any of the baking powders I have ever used.  The article continues giving more information if you would like to check the link out above.  (There are lots of advertisements on this page.)


Thanks for visiting and I hope your week is a great one.




44 comments:

  1. Looks nice a bonus it freezes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good! I have not heard of these different kinds of baking powder, interesting to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny and I was very interested in the baking powder info. I did not know about the aluminum.

      Delete
  3. Pancakes always got the lemon and sugar treatment here too.
    I hadn't heard about the different types of baking powder either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might Sue, and neither had I until this recipe popped up :)

      Delete
  4. Baking powder? Aluminum? That's all new to me and doesn't sound healthy.

    But your pancakes look divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't Anni. I am going to be looking carefully at my baking powder from now on. Glad you liked the look of the pancake :)

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious! Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a perfect meal to kick start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I like things that I can freeze and reheat later for a quick meal. I have never heard of aluminum free baking powder or even that baking powder had aluminum in it. Learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, freezing does make it a little easier doesn't it? :) and yes we are always learning something new. I didn't know either until I read these ingredients.

      Delete
  8. Nigdy takich nie jadłam , muszę koniecznie spróbować. Na pewno super smakują. Miłego tygodnia😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo dziękuję :) Mam nadzieję, że Ci się spodobają. Życzę bardzo szczęśliwego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  9. Hi! I've tried several recipes with bananas in waffles, pancakes, cakes and I can't like the taste, but it would be a very healthy option, no doubt! The same thing happens to me with avocado in chocolate mousses... maybe I'm not using it properly, I don't know. But, I love to try healthy options of greedy recipes. :) Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, but I truly enjoyed these. Welcome to my blog Raquel, it's very nice meeting you :)

      Delete
  10. sounds good to me and I can eat this, if I sub the bannana for blueberries. a good way to eat oatmeal without the taste of it. thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and blueberries would be good too mixed in :) Thanks Sandra!

      Delete
    2. Looks and sounds great. I love a good soft pancake and to make with bananas and top with blueberries....amazing.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pam :) so glad you liked the recipe. Bananas on top along with those blueberries, yum!

      Delete
  11. Interesting info about the 2 types of BP. Your pancake sounds like such a nutritious snack. I might try it with my Cuisinart Waffle Maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea to use your waffle maker Gigi :)

      Delete
  12. I also like vanilla in my pancakes and you can't beat maple syrup. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great. I love that they are freezer friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these pancakes look so good, Denise. You know, I sometimes put bananas in my oatmeal, along with pecans. I like how you added the berries on top.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good too Rose, I love a bowl of oatmeal :)

      Delete
  15. Look delicious, pleased you enjoyed them.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, they look real good. Never knew about the aluminum in baking powder...interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen :) I found that interesting about baking powder too.

      Delete
  17. Boy do these look yummy! I always add vanilla to my pancakes, too. It was nice hearing about your mother's English pancakes. Food certainly can bring nice memories, can't it? It would be lovely to have these in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen! Couldn’t agree with you more about those memories. Vanilla is a wonderful addition to many things, including these pancakes and I love having them ready to go in the freezer :)

      Delete
  18. They look amazing! Yummmm!
    I didn't know about the aluminum in baking powder.

    Happy Tuesday, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee :) and the baking powder info was new to me also. I will be researching it further.

      Delete
  19. I'll bet I could use regular flour instead of gluten free as well as regular baking powder? Freezing ability would make it well worthwhile to make this recipe what with only two people to eat breakfast here (or one -- that snack sounded amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, I should have mentioned I used regular flour and baking powder. But what I do love is the freezing of them, such a simple and fast snack when time or inclination is lacking :) Even my dear other half likes these. He hasn't been too keen on others I have made but this recipe is a winner for him. Always happy when that happens. We can't all like the same things can we? :)))

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!