Friday, August 19, 2022

THIS IS THE SECOND BUTTERFLY POST FROM....

our trip to The Butterfly Conservatory at Niagara Falls in June 2013.  If you missed my first one, you can look at it here.  I identify the butterflies when I can.  If there isn't an ID, then know that I tried my hardest.  I have a couple of books in my collection, and looked online without success.  There are similarities but nothing concrete.  When this is the case I ask for helpers, and if you recognize any, I would be delighted if you would pass on your knowledge.  Thanks always in advance.

In the photo below, the one on the left is the Postman (Heliconiums melpomene). On the right is the Cairns Birdwing (Ornithoptera euphorion).Another view of the the Cairns Birdwing.

 on the right.
Still as yet unidentified.  A Swallowtail of some kind.
Zebra Heliconian
Zebra Longwing
Several Owl Butterflies (Caligo Martia) enjoying a plate of sliced oranges and bananas.
A close-up of the Owl Butterfly.  What I always find fascinating is its proboscis which you can see drinking the juice from the orange.  When it is resting that same proboscis is wound up like a spring.
The same butterfly but this time it has a friend on the left.   From looking at similar butterflies I think this is a Grey Variable Cracker (Hamadryas feronia)
I have searched and searched but haven't found this one yet.
I shared these in my other post, Rice Paper Butterfly (Idea Luconoe), also known as a White Tree Nymph.
Well, I couldn't ID the one below, but it's pretty.
Not sure about this one either.

  If you go here on Wikipedia, the page will tell you all about butterflies. If you scroll down to where the subject is 'paleontology', you will read what I have included below.  I have provided links throughout, just as it is in the paragraph.

The earliest Lepidoptera fossils (Lepidoptera meaning an order of insects that includes butterflies and moths) date back to the Triassic-Jurassic boundary, around 200 million years ago.  Butterflies evolved from moths, so while the butterflies are monophyletic (forming a single clade), the moths are not.  The oldest known butterfly is Protocoeliades kristenseni from the Palaeocene aged Fur Formation of Denmark, approximately 55 million years old, which belongs to the family Hesperidae (skippers).  Molecular clock estimates suggest that butterflies originated sometime in the mid-Cretaceous, but only significantly diversified during the Cenozoic.  The oldest American butterfly is the Late Eocene Prodryas persephone from the Florissant Fossil Beds, approximately 34 million years old.

You may have seen this before as I have shared it on at least two other posts.  It is my last and favorite butterfly, though I loved them all.  The sweetest sight greeted us as we walked around a corner.  A father holding his little girl dressed as a pretty butterfly.  Her mother was nearby with a visiting grandparent, the little one's grandfather, and both were smiling.  I could not resist capturing such a beautiful moment.  This little butterfly was in daddy's arms and was a charming photo opportunity.  I only wish I could give it to them.  That little girl would be about 10 years' old now.



"Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time."
~Deborah Chaskin~


"A Child is like a butterfly in the wind.
Some can fly higher than others,
But each one flies the best it can.
Why compare one against the other?
Each one is different.
Each one is special.
Each one is beautiful.”

~Author Unknown~





32 comments:

  1. Your photos are really fantastic! The Emerald Swallowtail may be my favorite, I have never herd of them or seen one. So unusual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny and thank you, so glad you enjoyed them, especially the Emerald Swallowtail. The first and last time I have ever seen one :)

      Delete
  2. These are all so pretty. I would love to visit there some day. Of course now to go to Canada you need a passport which I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I have been to some very nice butterfly places in the U.S., one on a much smaller scale not so far away. Not on such a large scale but they still have very pretty butterflies. Maybe you have some nearer you? I hope so :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful butterflies, lovely series of photos. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtaking!! Each and all. Adorable butterfly wings at the end!! She's a doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is Anni, the best kind of little butterfly :)

      Delete
  5. that is a really life sized butterfly at the end. LOL.. these butterflies are such awesome colors and only a few of them are familar to me. i noticed they have a lot of aqua in a lot of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so :) There you go, aqua is everywhere :))) Thanks Sandra!

      Delete
  6. Wow, Denise, each butterfly is so lovely and unique! I had no idea they were from so long ago! The photo of the darling child butterfly made me smile and so did the poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, always happy to know you enjoy them. The memory of that sweet little child butterfly still makes me smile :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this beautiful healing post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Cloudia and it makes me happy you feel that way :)

      Delete
  8. You have some brilliant photos here, Denise. Really gorgeous. I'm glad we don't have to rank order them for I would be very stumped as they're all so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so pretty! Love the butterflies and also the sweet child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, she certainly was very adorable :)

      Delete
  10. Your photos are astounding, Denise.
    Such a beautiful post that made my day.

    Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say Veronica Lee and so happy it made your day :)

      Delete
  11. Look at these butterflies! That emerald one is a beauty with his green wings. And emerald is my birthstone! I've never seen a butterfly at the feeder before, how unusual is that? The "butterfly in the wind" quote is beautiful, and so true. Children are special little people, indeed.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! It's not my birthstone but I love its color :) and I couldn't agree more about the children :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!