Wednesday, August 3, 2022

AN OLD POST RESHARED - RED SHOULDERED HAWK AT HOMOSASSA SPRINGS WILDLIFE PARK, FLORIDA - JANUARY 2014

Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

I believe this is a Red-shouldered Hawk.  I am not too good on the differences of these birds, but he is one I saw when in an enclosure with other birds and identified when I first wrote this post.  

His companions were several other hawks, two beautiful bald eagles and also owls.  All of them had been injured in the wild and were being taken care of by the park until they could be released if possible.
He was the most vocal and you can hear what he sounds like on this YouTube video I found.  You can see that here.  It runs for 3 minutes and 16 seconds. 
He certainly was a beautiful bird.
Below are some facts I found:
  Red-shouldered hawks have an unusual courtship ritual. They will fly together and occasionally roll over on their backs. They can be seen flying upside down for short distances!
They build their nests high in the trees during the winter or early spring and often decorate their nests with various green plants.
In flight, all ages and plumages display translucent white crescents at the wing tips.
Their flight is accipiter like: Flap, Flap, Glide.
(Accipiter means a hawk of a group distinguished by short, broad wings and relatively long legs, adapted for fast flight in wooded country.)
They appear more slender/leaner than other hawks.






34 comments:

  1. Fabulous shots!I I believe we may have seen one of these this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I saw a hawk in the neighbor’s garden yesterday. He didn’t hang around long enough for a photo though.

      Delete
  2. Handsome creature. Good photos of it Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, and he/she certainly is :)

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful. All praise to the rehabilitation centres too - the world over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn’t agree more, they deserve all the praise :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a beautiful bird. Your photos of him are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I am also thankful for these rehab, the Hawk is a beauty! Great post! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uma sequência fantástica de fotografias.
    Gostei.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    Livros-Autografados

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  7. He is beautiful. Our hawk went away ad we were happy! 3 days ago he is back. they are beautiful predators

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, they certainly are :) Ours went away also.

      Delete
  8. Piękny ptak . Niestety jest groźny dla mniejszych ptaków. Wspaniałe fotografie. Miłego weekendu😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję i choć podziwiam te ptaki, martwię się o naszych mniejszych upierzonych przyjaciół.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous pics! Hawks don't inhabit Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ***Gulping***. Denise, I just can't give you enough accolades. I'll try with a few off the top of my head (but know there are dozens more where they come from)...stunning,spectacular, incredible, beautiful, just simply put....all wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Coming from you with your own amazing photos of birds that I have long been in awe of, I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate this. Thand you so much! :)))

      Delete
  11. A very handsome hawk, fabulous photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful creature. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!