Wednesday, August 31, 2022

FROM AN OLD POST - WATER BIRDS AT TORCROSS, SOUTH DEVONSHIRE, ENGLAND - JUNE 2015

These are old photos from a trip we took back to a place called Slapton Sands in the UK, an area I used to go with my family all the time.  We lived in the West Midlands (UK) and moved to South Devon when I was 15 years old.  It was always a planned destination on holidays spent in Devon each year, since I was 8 years old.  The stretch of water is called Slapton Ley, and you can click on the links provided if you would like to learn more.

I am posting water birds found on our vacation in Torcross, which is in South Devonshire. Torcross is indicated by the red button on the map of the UK. Slapton Sands is a long stretch of beach and Torcross is at one end.
I won't be identifying all the ducks as there are too many I don't know.  I do recognize a Coot with her chicks a few photos down.  On the other side of the road from where Slapton Ley is located, is the sea.  This is and has always been my favorite destination stop in the UK.  Many a time my family and I would visit a tea-room for scones, cream and jam, and a cup of tea.
And we always visited the birds.  I remember seeing the swans with cygnets as a child, but there were none this day.








The birds were very comfortable with us as they were obviously used to people. They didn't seem to mind me taking lots of photos.  We had been there a while and I was snapping away when a family with a dog arrived.  Dog was pulling hard on its leash and barking loudly. The birds went flying into the water at a high rate of speed.  The family was very apologetic as they realized that they had put an end to any more photo taking.  They kept their dog in check afterwards.  However, the barking had done its job.


I knew the birds wouldn't be back as long as the dog was in the area, but they had already given us a lot of pleasure, and we were thankful.


















We stopped at a tearoom in Torcross for lunch and afterwards had a nice brisk walk on the beach.  Passing by the Ley on the way back to our car, we noticed the birds were back and were seemingly content, with no ruffled feathers.


At the time I originally made this post, I was asked how I made my mosaics. I use Paint Shop Pro (PSP) which has all kinds of programs that help you open several layers, and you put those layers (in this case my photos) on top of the larger photo of the map.  I add borders, decorative features and 'tubes', which can be of anything; people, animals, vegetables, flowers, frames, corner decorations.  I didn't use any for this mosaic.  Tubes don't have a surround to them and you can place them on any photo in layers, with the aid of this program.  You can also make your own.  

Once your knowledge of the program has clicked in your head, like everything else it's not very complicated at all.  Years ago I joined an online graphics group and I was taught how to use PSP.  I have had it for well over 20 years now.  I am comfortable with it and it fits me like an old shoe.  I also use it for resizing photos before I send them out to family and friends.   

I expect Photoshop has very similar programs, and more nowadays.  Probably less steps too.  I am just used to this one and have stuck with it.  Over the years I have updated and on the rare occasion I might go online and do one of the free tutorials just to keep my hand in. 

That's it for my post today.  Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of the week.




38 comments:

  1. I adore water birds. And thanks for the information about your mosaic creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue and I am very fond of them too :)

      Delete
  2. Most enjoyable to walk with you and the ducks. The places we summered as children stay with us always, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About our childhood memories, that's very true Cloudia :) So glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of the ducks which there are plenty.
    I used to use Paint Shop Pro7 for making graphics and resizing photos when necessary, taught myself. Progressed to Photoshop some years back now when one could buy it outright so use that for resizing photos these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, and photoshop is very popular I know :)

      Delete
  4. You got great shots, even a wonderful close up portrait! People shoud not walk their dogs near flocks of birds!!! They ruin everything for both birds and people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny and yes, it's up to us to take care of our dogs. They are just following their instincts.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos. If I had been there with Gibbs, he would have been that barking dog. He barks at the smallest birds that land in our yard so a whole bunch like this would have made him go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, Gibbs is being a good guard dog for you :)

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Love the photos, the ducks and Coot with their chicks, are all adorable. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, adorable indeed. You take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  7. Good that we call all of them just DUCK here...so much easier :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too use paint shop pro!! I bought the program software decades ago and know it well.

    Love your duck 🦆🦆🦆 images today Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Anni, I've had mine a very long time now :) Glad you enjoyed, thank you :)

      Delete
  9. Memories Denise. You were right about the Coots and young. The smaller ducks are Mallards - Male (in eclipse Plumage) and female brown speckled. The other larger odd looking ducks in a variety of colours are all domestic Ducks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy, those memories are the best :) Thank you for confirming the Coot ID and all the others. Always good to know these things and I appreciate your help very much :)

      Delete
  10. wow, that is a lot of different types of ducks, every color and size in one place. tht had to be really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was exciting, and to sit on the bench for a half an hour just observing them, was a whole lot of fun :)

      Delete
  11. awwww, "back with no ruffled feathers" good one!! awesome captures of the ducks, i often forget where you are from!! if i see the coot, the waterbird i think is a coot, these have a large white marking on the front above its beak!? ours don't have that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie and for the info on the American coot :) Been here for a long time now, since December 1975 :)

      Delete
  12. Such a refreshing spot for those beautiful waterfowl, Denise. It's lovely to hear that you have nice memories of this area. The action photos of them scurrying away are great, but I'm sure were startling at the time. I hope you are doing well and enjoying a little bit cooler day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lovely day for weather hasn’t it Martha Ellen? As you are not too far away, I expect you are enjoying the same lovely weather :) I am happy you enjoyed the waterfowl. Yes, it was a bit startling at first but was glad to see they could beat a hasty retreat when they felt threatened.

      Delete
  13. Lovely post.
    Lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, happy you enjoyed and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. How fun to see all these ducks/waterfowl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the closeups of the ducks and the great variety. I also appreciate the map showing where you were. Happy September to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, glad you enjoyed my duck post, and happy you liked the map also. Happy Septemebr to you too :)

      Delete
  16. Love the ducks and even more love your story. A wonderful spot to visit -- I wish we'd had more time for more places in England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, so happy you enjoyed. Too many places to see, not so much time :)

      Delete
  17. Cute ducks. I took a class with paint shop pro years ago and I remember the tubes. Photoshop really doesn’t use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Linda :) Interesting about photoshop not using tubes.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!