Tuesday, June 14, 2022

WALNEY POND WALK IN MAY

After we had been surprised by our non-Swans (decoys) shared in this post, we did what we usually do, continue our walk around the pond and enjoyed all the other sights.  
If you wanted to get some really good exercise, you would have to walk at a brisk pace along the circular path several times, as I have seen people do.  The pond is relatively small compared to others we have come across.  But there are trails and one we know leads to the visitor center through the woods.
  We noticed the Yellow Flag Iris' were blooming.  They are a lovely sight at the edge of the water.
Yellow flag iris, botanical name Iris pseudacorus, also goes by the following names: Yellow Iris, Water flag, Dragon flower and Paleyellow iris.  
I found a blog at this link, called Botany Karen, where she adds other common names which are very interesting.  One is 'Yellow fleur-de-lis', and she states this name points to the possibility that Iris pseudacorus is the historical inspiration for the heraldic Fleur-de-lis (or Fleur-de-lys), that there is a passing resemblance to the flower’s 3 standards and 3 falls, allowing for some artistic licence she says.
Karen continues, “The Fleur-de-lys’ historical usage is not confined to a single country. Its strongest associations are undoubtedly with France and French royalty through the ages. It traditionally appeared as a yellow symbol on a blue background in France."  And this from me, I can highly recommend taking a look at Karen's blog as there is so much to see, to explore and to learn.
Yellow flag is a flowering perennial plant native to Europe, Asia and Africa.  In temperate climates throughout the globe, yellow flag is cultivated as an ornamental plant, but is considered an invasive aquatic species.  In some regions it can be very invasive and harmful to native species.  It spreads easily due to its floating masses of seeds and long rhizomes, making it very hard to control.  It can also block water flow, affect bird nesting sites, and fish habitats, disrupting and changing entire ecosystems.  

Oh dear!  Well, it didn't seem to be out of control at the pond.  I daresay it is well managed, and I have always loved its presence in blooming season, but certainly these facts should be taken note of.

Other wildflowers we saw were buttercups...along with a couple of bicyclists.  A good day for getting the bikes out.

When I was a child I always loved buttercups, and I still find them pleasing.  When you are a child you don't have a care in the world and certainly don't think of things like how invasive they are.  Before I go on I would like to share another blog I found.  One called Lizzie Harper where you will find various illustrations, one of which is this buttercup.  You can see it here and then if you like, explore further and see the others.   Also more information at this link.
I am finding out about invasive plants today, and this is another one.  They are called Creeping buttercup, botanical name Ranunculus repens.  Common names are also Sit-fast, Creeping crowfoot and Double meadow creeping buttercup.  It is native to Europe, Asia and Northwestern Africa.  These glossy-petaled yellow flowers of the creeping buttercup do, however, aid in the attraction of pollinating insects.
The following is Common vetch, botanical name Vicia sativa.  Its common names are also Garden vetch, Vetch, Garden tare, Summer vetch and Tare.  
It is widely grown as a forage crop or green fertilizer, but common vetch is often considered a weed in garden settings.  However, it seems to be a gardener's friend, as its nitrogen-fixing ability enriches the soil, and it offers food and support for native wildlife.  
The vine-like growth, feathery foliage and purple flowers can be visually attractive.  So, common vetch is ideal for including in native gardens, wildlife gardens and wildlife meadows.  

Hurray for the Common vetch, and a lovely photo can be seen at this link

On that good note and as I don't want to overwhelm, I will finish as I have, surprise, even more photos to share from our time at Walney Pond.  I will be publishing another post tomorrow.




 

35 comments:

  1. Your Iris photos are gorgeous! I did not know any of this info. So is Creeping Buttercup the same as Buttercup? It looks the same; this is what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, there are a few different types of buttercup but this one I always just knew as 'buttercup' from childhood. There is an interesting article here:

      https://www.montwt.co.uk/blog/tim-ward/goldilocks-and-three-other-meadow-buttercups

      Delete
  2. Simply gorgeous. Heart balm at its best. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos of your walk featuring the yellow flag iris. I like to see them growing near water in marshy areas although I can understand why they have to be managed well so they don't spread and cause problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I do think they look lovely around the edge of ponds :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado! Estou feliz que você tenha gostado. Um abraço e uma boa semana.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I have seen the Yellow Flag Iris, it is pretty. This spring part of our yard was covered in buttercups. Thanks for the info and website links. Have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen, and those buttercups must have been a lovely sight in your yard :) You have a great day and happy week ahead also.

      Delete
  6. Didn't know those yellow flowers were buttercups, which are everywhere here. The yellow iris is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, your buttercups must look very pretty.

      Delete
  7. Such lovely travels! I have purple wild iris!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love purple wild iris Jenn, such a gorgeous color! :) Thank you!

      Delete
  8. those yellow flag are goregeous and new to me, have never seen these before. Yellow always brings joy to mind. love those buttercups also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same about its color, always so sunny and cheerful. Thanks Sandra :)

      Delete
  9. This looks like a delightful walk through the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an easy walk around the pond and the walk through the woods is wonderful. Thank you Linda :)

      Delete
  10. A lovely walk hope you find some swans this summer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't et me going on invasives. We've been our own worst enemies bringing in different plants thinking they will be good for an area. Globalization has meant that invasives have more opportunity to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Red, it's a big problem and those innocent gestures years ago turned into a catastrophe for some, and now as you say, globalization.

      Delete
  12. I have never seen a yellow iris. It's very pretty.
    I remember we used to pick buttercups and hold them under our chin to see if you liked butter or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, we have a lot of them in our parks, especially near water :) I seem to remember the buttercup under the chin when I was young.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photographs.
    I do like the yellow flag iris, such a lovely colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos and so much information. I remember my Mum putting buttercups under my chin to see my face go yellow when I was little and still lived in England. Interesting to find out the yellow Iris can become invasive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, it seems to be a tradition on both sides of the Atlantic here :) I am finding out a lot about invasive plants, all very fascinating to me.

      Delete
  15. I love Lizzie Harper's blog. And the yellow flag iris is especially beautiful and your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Jeanie, so glad. Thank you, glad you enjoyed my photos too :)

      Delete
  16. I was re-reading a book recently where various items were planted in far flung parts of the world... just because. There was no thought of invasive species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right William, no one realized what the consequences back then. I once read how the mongoose was introduced to Hawaii, to get rid of the rats that came off visiting ships. Except that the rats only came out at night and the mongoose only came out during the day. By the time they found this out a lot of damage had been done and a lot of indigenous birds were wiped out. Mongoose love bird eggs :( Now if our Hawaiian friends can confirm or add anything to that, just in case I have my facts wrong, I would like to know.

      Delete
  17. The Swans are so graceful and beautiful. I have a blog friend who really appreciates them and is always taking photos of this precious white bird. I haven't seen the buttercups in a long time. They are a cheerful flower, aren't they? It's so nice that you appreciate nature like you do, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, they certainly are. I will have to look at your blog friend's photos some time. I would love it if I saw them more often. And yes, buttercups are a cheerful flower, so true :) Thank you Sheri, my father and his mother passed down this love of nature to me. My mother was a good mum who encouraged it. I owe them a lot of thanks for what I love now.

      Delete
  18. Sorry everyone, I am late answering my comments but I am getting there :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!