Thursday, June 2, 2022

LAST PART OF MEADOWLARK GARDEN ON 5-5-22

We have come from the far side of Lake Caroline, and walked the path near the gazebo, down to Lake Lena, which you saw in my previous posts.  Now we are on our way back to the visitor center.

This garden started from a 74-acre farm.  You can read the history of how Meadowlark came to be if you click here.  Three lakes were added to the largest stream course by the mid 1980's, and these are the lakes that have given a lot of pleasure to all the visitors who come here, including us.  

We are heading towards an area where I think I might find the Red Trillium.  There is a shaded walk we enjoy when it is hot and humid (we would be there if we were at the garden, as it is that way now - I am putting this together on 6-1-22 and it is 88 deg. F. but feels like 90, and humid).
Above and below is the Eastern bluestar.  Its botanical name is Amsonia tabernaemontana.  Also known as Willow bluestar, Blue dogbane, Willow amsonia and Blue star flower.   It blooms in the spring and can be found in central and eastern North America.  It sounds quite a hardy plant as it can tolerate -0 degrees Fahrenheit, and is relatively free of disease or pest problems.  It had only just started blooming but you can see its flowers if you click on the name above.
I was thinking more of the scenery when I took the next photo, but I noticed the plant, center left, later that night on my larger laptop screen.  Its blooms also were not there yet.  I have, however, been quite taken with the purple Alliums when they are.  It is known as the Ornamental Onion, also known as Giant allium.  Its botanical name Allium giganteum.  Another that I would like to plant in our own garden.
The next pretty flower with its vibrantly green leaves is the Celandine poppy.  Its botanical name is Stylophorum diphyllum.  Also known as Woods poppy and Yellow wood poppy.  It is native to North America, is an herbaceous perennial plant and considered endangered in Canada, according to my plant app.  It grows in the eastern United States and eastern Canada.  
It symbolizes Joys to come, how lovely!  
Next is Lily of the Valley.  Botanical name Convallaria majalis.  Its other names are European lily of the valley, Our lady's tears, May bells and Mary's tears.
Lily of the Valley originates in Euroasia.  Although it is toxic, it is popular in gardens and the perfume industry for its fragance.  It is also the national flower of Finland, and was the national flower of former Yogoslavia.  
This is the Asian virginsbower, botanical name Clematis florida.  Also known as Passion Flower Clematis and Asian clematis.  It blooms in the summer.  The Asian virginsbower is one species of garden clematis that has generated some incredible beautiful varieties.  

It is a deciduous vine that produces creamy white to purple flowers according to varieties and blooms in early summer on shoots that developed from the previous year's growth.  

Walking along our shaded path we saw many pretty flowers, but I finally came across the one I had been looking for, the Red Trillium.  I have seen the white before but never this color.  I knew it was growing in the garden because I had seen a photo, either on their Facebook page, or Instagram.  I'm not a Facebook person and only occasionally go to Instagram these days. I felt fortunate to come across the photo, my visits being as rare as they are.  It being a shade plant I was keeping my fingers crossed that it was planted somewhere along this path. 
Botanical name Trillium erectum, but also known as Purple trillium, Wake-robin, Beth root and Red Wakerobin.  It is native to the eastern United States and eastern Canada and found on forest floors. 
     A perennial herbaceous plant, it blooms in spring and summer.  It can also tolerate temperatures as low as -50 degrees F.  

We are not too far from the Visitor Center now.  Our walk will be coming to an end for this particular visit.

I like this sculpture of a pine cone.  It has been here a long time.

I hope you have enjoyed this series of posts.





32 comments:

  1. It really is a magnificent place - and I am so glad that you did find (and share) the Red Trillium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I was very happy to share the Red Trillium :)

      Delete
  2. I certainly HAVE enjoyed this series Denise!! I have never seen such a color of trillium...except white (that turn purple as the blossom ages). How awesome. And that "clematis" is a showcase!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, so glad you have enjoyed. The clematis is wonderful too isn't it? :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    It is a beautiful place for your walks. Love the views of the lakes and the flowers. The pine cone sculpture is cool. Beautiful birds and mosaic. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so lush and green - beautiful, calm space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described it beautifully. Thank you Carol :)

      Delete
  5. I have enjoyed this beautiful garden through the lens of your camera. the flowers today are just gorgeous. the passion flower makes me miss ours and i told bob we might need to buy one. the leaves on the yellow poppy are as beautiful as the flower. the burgundy color flowers is the color in every room of our home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I am very happy you enjoyed the garden. There is always something interesting to see there, and I always look forward to what flowers are in bloom. And now I know what your favorite color is? :)

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed these flowers would love some allium plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, so glad :) It's a pretty one isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Hope you are well Denise.
    You wouldn't want that Pine Cone to fall on your head would you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy, so good to see you here :) No, I wouldn't want that at all ;)

      Delete
  8. The Red Trillium and Wood Poppy are my favorites! I love going on walks with you, since I cannot do this myself anymore. I so wish I would. I have never seen a Clematis like this one, I guess it is wild and not cultivated. It looks like it would be poisonous. I love the giant pinecone, I don't remember you ever posting it before! I bet kids like to play on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny and I am happy I can share my photos with you from the places I go to. I tend to have to take them a little slower myself these days :) No, I don't think I have ever shared the pinecone statue before, don't know why. Glad that I did on this post.

      Delete
  9. The trillium is particularly striking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful series Denise. That trillium is such a beautiful deep color. The whole garden is looking so lush and green this time of year. Glad you could walk and enjoy all the beauty the garden has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, it certainly was a wonderful day :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely! That pinecone sculpture is a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda and thank you :) They have had wonderful sculptures at the garden, but I do love the pinecone.

      Delete
  12. Some lovely blooms here. Lily of the Valley are a favorite of mine, and that poppy is really beautiful. How lucky to have such a beautiful spot relatively close at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the red trillium in my yard, but I don't ever remember seeing the white. And the sad thing is this year I did not take a single photo of my trillium...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Rose, I would be ecstatic to have this stunning flower in my garden! I can understand you not taking a photo and it will be there the next time :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!