Monday, June 27, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - EASY ASIAN NOODLES



Easy Asian Noodles  -  Serves 3 to 4

Another delicious meal on the table this evening, thanks to the hosts of 'Show Me The Yummy", Trevor and Jennifer.  You can read through the original recipe and see all their photos of this meal here.

For the sauce:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sriracha
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Red pepper flakes, to taste (they put in 1/2 teaspoon in their recipe)
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

Other ingredients:

1 (12 oz) box whole wheat linguine
3-4 eggs, over easy
Chopped cilantro (optional - for garnishing)
Chopped salted cashews (for garnishing)

To make the sauce, whisk together sauce ingredients until well combined.

Cook the linguine according to package directions and drain.

Cook the eggs*

In the large pot you cooked your pasta in, pour pasta back in with the sauce.

Put pasta on your plates and top with the fried egg, chopped cilantro and salted cashews.

Serve immediately.


Notes from original recipe:

*If you're not sure how to make an over easy egg, heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.  Melt about 1 tablespoon to 2 tablespoons butter.  Once butter has melted and starts to bubble (just a bit) crack in egg (I work with 1 - 2 eggs at a time).  Cook for about 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes.  Cooking time will vary depending on how runny you like your yolks. Season with a touch of salt.


What did we think?  Every dish that I put on here is a keeper, and this one joins that list.  It was another delicious meal.

I did make a few changes though.  For a start my egg was poached. I just prefer it cooked this way.  It's what I grew up with.

I didn't buy any linguine as I had one more box of Angel Hair Pasta.  It saved us a trip to the supermarket on a rainy day. 

You'll see in my photo that there are a lot more extras added than the original.  I had veggies in the fridge that I wanted to use up and first we cooked the thinly sliced cabbage, sliced green onions, sliced celery, peas and Gregg threw in a can of sliced lotus shoots for good measure.  We both loved the crunchiness of the vegetables. 

I forgot about the cashews and the cilantro, that will be for next time.

And thank you Trevor and Jennifer for another wonderful meal added to our make-again folder.  


Thank you for looking and have a great week. 



30 comments:

  1. Oh goodness this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Poaching eggs is a lost art. I used to order them in restaurants, and finally gave up because cooks today don’t even know how to boil water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) Poached Eggs on Toast was a staple for breakfast in my family growing up. It's also a favorite breakfast for the two of us now, and we have started adding them on other meals like this one. I learned from a very early age, from my mother, how to poach an egg. Always grateful for her lessons :)

      Delete
  3. I'm making this! I have the linguini already, and green onions. I wll leave out the cilantro & cashews, as I don't have or like them. This seems very versatile. I am off to print it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I am so happy you like this enough to make it. Easy to cater it to your own taste :) I like Thai basil and peanuts, or walnuts or pecans, and spinach leaves. Anything you like really. Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you liked it - and hooray for adding your own touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, it's a wonderful dish to suit it to your own taste :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Why thank you Angie, such a nice compliment and my mother would be very pleased. Her lessons sunk in :)

      Delete
  6. This looks really delicious. Maybe when I can eat more foods I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ann, I hope you enjoy it when you do make it :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise,
    Looks delicious. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i prefer angel hair over lingquni and this is looking good from here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your version sounds delicious. It reminds me of the Korean dish called Bi Bim Bap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try to make Bi Bim Bap Gigi. We have ordered it in our local Korean restaurant but not for a long time now. It was delicious!

      Delete
  10. The sauce looks good I like easy recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, easy recipes are the way to go for me lately :)

      Delete
  11. Denise, the Asian noodles look really good. Yes, cashews added would be even better. I was craving Chinese food, and got some take out the other day. Their chicken chow mien is delicious.

    Have a good Summer week.

    ~ Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, thank you. We get cravings sometimes. In fact, we are heading to our favorite Bahn Mi take out tomorrow :)

      Delete
  12. I imagine it could get a little spicy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could leave the sriracha and the red pepper flakes out William. It would still taste very good :) I'm not one for things that are too spicy.

      Delete
  13. So pleased you enjoyed it.
    Wishing you a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and I hope your week is a good one too :) All the best!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!