Wednesday, June 15, 2022

WALNEY POND WALK CONTINUED....

 The tree is across the road from where we parked our car.  We were getting ready to leave and for a short spell, followed this lovely dog enjoying a walk with its family.  She was very well behaved, though her eyes were looking across the pond, maybe seeing those 'swans' or....perhaps the turtles peeked her interest.Interestingly, the sign's illustration shows a Canada goose on what looks like a nest.  The turtles, however, were making good use of Wildlife Island.In the following photo you can see the beaver lodge.  It all looks very quiet.  I wondered if the beavers vacated along with the geese?  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any chewed-on trees for quite a while and there was no activity near the lodge.  Could be the time of day of course.  Perhaps they were asleep?  There is a bridge where the trail continues on to the visitor center I mentioned.  It crosses a small stream.  In years' past we have  hopped over those blocks, when son was young and we were more limber.Gregg and I have walked the trail many times, but not today.  However, we cross the bridge, usually standing at the half-way point for a few minutes to look at the water in both directions.

Look at the root system on that old tree.

It is amazing to me that it hasn't fallen over and made its own bridge.  No doubt it gets checked regularly.
There's a well-trodden path that takes you down one side of the stream, but only a short way.  
The root system from all the trees can be a bit hazardous sticking out of the ground like this.  You really have to watch where you are putting your feet.
There have been benches added, and there are also picnic tables which have been there for many years.
This sign is just before you get to the bridge.  "Wipe your feet!  Please brush your shoes before entering and leaving this area."   We have seen these signs in other parks and nature reserves.  It is hard to read but on the left it says, "Tiny seeds can hide in the soles of your shoes.  Wiping your shoes on the brush at the base of this sign helps prevent seeds from entering or leaving this natural area."  Below that, "Wavy-leaved basket grass is an invasive species from Asia that is spreading throughout Virginia and Maryland. This plant spreads sticky seeds in summer and fall that easily attach to your shoes, socks and pant leg.  It can invade mature forests and blanket the ground in only a few years."  
On the left it reads, "Plant Invaders from Afar. Non-native invasive plants thrive from outside their area of origin and harm the local environment.  These highly aggressive species often spread uncontrollably in natural areas.  Their rapid growth can choke forests, suppressing native plants such as wildflowers, and damaging wildlife habitat." It then shows images of Garlic Mustard with this info. "Garlic Mustard is native to Europe and Asia.  Settlers brought it to the United States to use as medicine and for food.  It is considered an invasive species.  Garlic Mustard contains compounds that make it taste bad to herbivores.  Garlic Mustard also produces chemicals that alter the soil.  The small, dark seeds can germinate for up to five years and are easily spread."  
Coming to these places is always an environmental education.  Can we stem the tide?  I hope so!
Just as we get to our car, Gregg sees a Red-winged Blackbird hopping around in the grass.
It flew up into a tree.
Their red epaulettes with that touch of yellow makes them a very striking bird...
 and its call is very distinctive.  If you would like to hear it, click here.  
A fitting end to our walk.  

Thank you for coming with us to Walney Pond.  I have enjoyed sharing it with you.  

Have a great week! 
     



38 comments:

  1. Just lovely to walk with you trough this beautiful place. The bird with the red shoulders is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I have been enjoying your walk again today :)

      Delete
  2. The tree roots are amazing!! And your reflection shot is beautiful. How interesting about the invasive seeds!! It never seems to come to any good to import plants, bugs, or animals for any reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) a lot of these invasive species have been introduced around the world, at a time when people didn't really understand the consequences, animals too not just plants.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful place to walk, yes I wouldn't hop over those steps at my age, don't know if I can even hop. Bird is pretty and the roots of those trees, well now that is amazing as we don't often see what goes on under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) no, no hopping over rocks across streams for me either.

      Delete
  4. Love those epauletes. And indeed the whole walk. I am super impressed at the wipe your feet advice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue, they are a lovely splash of color in amongst the black feathers. This was the first place I noticed the brushes to wipe our feet. I was impressed too.

      Delete
  5. That's very interesting about the sign asking to wipe your feet. I never thought about how you could carry seeds from invasive plants on your shoes.
    Love the red winged black bird. With that red on their wings it's always easy to spot them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it really brought it home to me reading these signs. They have a lot of important information on them, as well as letting us know what kind of wildlife is around.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Obrigado, fico feliz que tenha gostado das minhas fotos :) Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  7. Lovely scenes from your walk. I like the bridge, pretty captures of the Red-winged Blackbird. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed. You take care and have a happy day also :)

      Delete
  8. That red-winged blackbird looks so lovely! Wish I could join you for a walk :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could join me also Angie :) I would enjoy showing you our favorite places.

      Delete
  9. I don’t know if I could even walk across those blocks now. Perhaps with a walking stick I could. My balance isn’t real good. Thank you for the tour of Walney Pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda and you are very welcome. I don't think I could even with a walking stick ;) You and I seem to have the same balance issues.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I am so sorry I am late answering your comment. Quite a few blogging friends have been found in the spam folder lately. And so I don't get to answer them until I have found each one. Blogger issue which I hope will get fixed very soon.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Blogger has been having issues lately hasn't Sandra :)

      Delete
  12. once when walking Beau, there was a tree that had maybe 50 of these redwing black birds and there was a whole choir of them singing this song. it was an amazing sight.
    my favorite photo and place today is the bench and the bridge dappled by sunshine. the perfect place to sit and meditate. very interesing info about how we carry the plants with us. Had never really thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize they were seen in Florida. That's wonderful and so many? :) They truly are amazing birds, I hear them everything at Huntley Meadows. I'm always glad for those signs, they really make you think and take note.

      Delete
  13. Ah, the beautiful flora and fauna of Nature. Yes, be careful you don't trip over those roots! Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, always need that reminder to be careful :)

      Delete
  14. Great shots of the Red-wing. And the sign about wiping your feet was interesting. I've never seen one like that before but it make sense. A great walking park!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely place to walk.
    I do like the red winged black bird.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, so glad and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  16. Great shots of the red winged blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red, Gregg has a good eye and fast reflexes :)

      Delete
  17. The trail reminds me of some I have known.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a peaceful place to visit. I love that little bridge. And you got some great photos of the Red-winged Blackbird. You rarely see their red wing - it's always hiding, and it really shows up in these photos. You even got him in flight........wonderful!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can thank Gregg for the Red-wing photos Sheri. He has gotten some great bird photos in the past. Thank you :)

      Delete
  19. Interesting about the plants....I do hope the spreading of them can be stopped.

    there s a big tall grass here that will just take over places out. I do not know if anything eats it or not.
    **********
    I think I would love this place if I could visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rose, I will try to do my part :) and I would love to show you this place.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!