Tuesday, June 28, 2022

THE STEVEN F. UDVAR-HAZY CENTER AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM, CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA

Since writing this in 2013 we have been to the museum several times.  It is a great place to take family and friends when they visit, a marvelous museum.  Except for the one or two, these photos show the biplanes that were on display that year.  I haven't been there for quite a while, so am not sure if displays are the same.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the program I used to turn my photos into art, as I no longer have it.  Back then I was just learning how to catalogue.  With a few exceptions, I am better at naming programs I use now.

The following writings are from my 2013 post: I am still in my 'turning photos into cartoon phase', so I hope you will indulge me a little longer until I get it out of my system.

My original photos were taken at The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center not too far from Washington-Dulles International Airport.  We may have to put up with a lot of traffic in this area, but we have several interesting places to go to, and this isn't too far from home.  If you click on their names, you will be taken to their home pages.

We went there a few weeks ago with our son and it is a great place to visit.  (We have visited several times since its opening).  This center is described as the companion facility to The Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.  Construction began in October 2000, and the center opened in December 2003.

You look up at those small airplanes hanging from the ceiling, and wonder how on earth they ever got off the ground.  The people who flew them must have been very brave.
The history of the Biplane can be found at this link.





30 comments:

  1. Some are very unusual looking! But impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, these old classic flying machines are amazing :)

      Delete
  2. When I see places like this I always think of my dad. He loved flying. He would have enjoyed seeing this.
    I love your pictures too. I really like the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have that connection with your dad Ann :) Thank you for sharing that. They are beautiful to look at too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado. Eu aprecio seu comentário gentil. Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

      Delete
  4. The Air and Space museum is wonderful, great photos. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. What a cool place to visit!
    My boys would love this!
    Happy Tuesday, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica, there were a lot of little boys enjoying the planes the day I visited. Happy Wednesday to you and your dear boys :)

      Delete
  6. I do love these edits and had a CD that did something similar, one of the first I ever had, maybe in 1998 or their about. no clue what it was called. these are really cool edits and bob would love this place to wander in. he is not much for museums but this one he would love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I really wish I knew what that edit was. I am still searching for something similar as I love its effects. Glad you enjoyed them too. I bet Bob would love this place. The hanger where everything is displayed is huge. It seems to go on forever!

      Delete
  7. A great museum to enjoy for sure. Our son-in-law's graduation with an Aeronautical Engineering Degree took place in a museum like this one in Seattle. That was really cool. Hope your last days of June are going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen and how wonderful about your son-in-law. I bet his graduation was incredible! Thank you and I wish you a happy July :)

      Delete
  8. This reminds me of the Pacific Aviation Museum in Hawaii. It's really nice to see these relics of the past. Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, I would have enjoyed your museum also :) I thoroughly enjoy seeing these old flying machines :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun post, Denise, I really liked how you turned the photos of these planes into artwork even if you didn't recall the name of the program used. This museum reminded me of the Air & Space Museum in DC and our visit there with you and Gregg a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy and that is a lovely memory when we took you there. Seems like yesterday :)

      Delete
  10. I am very much reminded of our aviation museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great William, do you have any photos from there? I would love to see them :)

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful museum and fabulous old planes on display. I have had to come to the I.O.W. again as my daughter needed the risky operation after the bad car crash and went through it on Monday so I am here to help as she can do nothing and is is terrible pain. It will be a long road to recovery si I will try and continue to make daily posts however my time to comment is VERY limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, and thank you :) I am so sorry to read about your daughter's operation and the pain she is in. I wish her only the very best in her recovery. No worries on the commenting. Your cup is overflowing right now, and she needs you. So glad you are there for her.

      Delete
  12. That looks really fascinating and loads of fun. I bet our little guys would like to visit something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I am sure your little guys would love it :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!