Wednesday, September 15, 2021

SKYLINE DRIVE - DEER

 Today's gift!

This is the only deer we saw today.  It seemed to us that there were more sightings when we first started visiting Skyline Drive years ago, especially at Big Meadows.  I am not sure if my facts are correct as maybe we arrive at the wrong time of the day.  Like many animals I realize they are more active at night time.  We probably would be more likely to see one in the wee hours or at dusk. 
It would be very nice to stay at the Lodge for a couple of nights again, for those early dawn walks on Big Meadow.  We enjoyed them very much and if you go in the earlier part of the year, you might see a new born fawn curled up in the grass waiting for its mother to return. You have to be very careful where you walk, so we prefer to stay on a trail and don't venture into long grass.  The mothers can leave their babies up to four hours at a time.  They are born with no scent and are not easy to detect by other animals.  
I read earlier that White-tailed deer inhabit most of southern Canada and all of the mainland U.S., with their range reaching throughout Central America to Bolivia.  
And what are you up to I might ask?  I'm listening you know!
No traffic either way so we parked where we could see in both directions.  Gregg was driving and had an eye on the rear-view mirror. 
She did not seem to mind and continued to eat.  As cute as a button with the grass sticking out of her mouth.
We stared at each other for a while, then she would continue eating and I would continue taking photos.  It was wonderful!

"White-tailed", as you might guess, refers to the white underside of the deer's tail, which it displays and wags when it senses danger.

No white tail was wagged during the taking of these photos.

A car approached on the other side of the road and she took noticed.  She moved further into the bushes and we decided it was time to leave.

Thank you for spending some time with us Sweetie!

A short video below with thanks to Christine's who hosts Christine's Blog. I appreciate the encouragement Christine!

Thank you all for looking and I hope your week is a great one!





47 comments:

  1. The excitement of spoting wild life !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you William, most definitely a real beauty :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful gift for a deer to make an appearance and look in the lense. Amazing captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you babYpose, it is always exciting for me to see these beautiful animals :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful creature and to think I had part of one baked in the oven the other evening for dinner, was nice though.
    Your video is good, nice and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, my camera was supported by the edge of the window on our car. Makes a great tripod :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful, beautiful (and beautifully captured) encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been quite a while since I've seen any deer when I walk at a certain park. Lately, tho, I'm too late in the day for them. Beautiful images Denise. Absolutely beautiful. 🦌

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that she stayed to let you take pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Denise,
    Seeing the deer along the drive is always a treat. I do think you see more early in the morning and later in the day. The deer photos are so pretty. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Eileen, the last two times we have been up there we haven't seen any, so this was a special treat :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado! Agradeço seus comentários gentis. Um abraço e continuou boa semana.

      Delete
  10. I felt your excitement with each photo that I stared at. She is absolutely gorgeous and oh so sweet and I would have stayed there until she left just like he did. Excellent photos of her and each one I looked at make me smile and feel happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sandra, so glad you enjoyed her. Thank you :)

      Delete
  11. It must be a thrill to go out for a drive, see the deer and take such wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun shot of it with the grass sticking out of its mouth. Happy middle of September to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big smile bringer that's for sure. Thank you Ellen and Happy middle of September to you also :)

      Delete
  13. I always feel like I have had a gift when I see a deer. These are wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pleasant scene, for the deer and for you. How idyllic. Hopefully, there were no hunters around who kill deer for sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, it was perfect. The Shenandoah National Park is a refuge for animals such as this deer. She lives a protected life.

      Delete
  15. such great images of the deer. they are so beautiful, and one of my favorite wild animals!! they always seems to notice us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thank you! They are one of my favorites too and they are always aware of us aren't they?

      Delete
  16. These cuties came to my place and cleaned out all the petunias in my carport planter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh! A friend of mine once had all her tulips eaten and she found out later who was the culprit. Ah well, the joys of enjoying wildlife, pros and cons :)

      Delete
  17. I never manage to get photos of deer here they are gone before I can lift the camera:-( Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be the way with a lot of wild animals doesn't it Diane? I was a little worried for this one because she seemed a little too comfortable in our presence. I think because the park is a safe place for them, just so long as people watch their speed on those roads.

      Delete
  18. Those are great shots of the deer...and a nice video, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!