Monday, September 13, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - ZUCCHINI AND YELLOW SQUASH CASSEROLE


This looked like a good recipe to make.  I found it at Life's Ambrosia hosted by Des and I would like to thank her for another delicious recipe.  You can find the original here.


Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole 

Servings: 6

Calories per serving: 131



1 - 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch slices

2 - 3 yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch slices

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 cup shredded mozzarella

1/2 cup parmesan

1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

2 tablespoon plain dry bread crumbs

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place zucchini and squash on top of paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cover with another paper towel. Let set for 15 minutes. Pat dry.

Combine zucchini, squash, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Toss to coat.

Spray 9-inch pie dish (or other casserole dish) with non-stick spray. Layer zucchini and squash in prepared dish. (Mine didn't look as pretty as those on the website, but first time not so bad considering.  My zucchini and yellow squash were very large and I only needed the two to fit inside the dish. I found them difficult to fit uniformly.  It certainly didn't detract from the taste once cooked.)


Combine Parmesan, panko, dry breadcrumbs and olive oil in a bowl.  Mix to coat the breadcrumbs in the oil.

Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top of zucchini/squash. Top with bread crumb mixture.

Bake casserole at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until browned on top. Serve immediately.


This was a lovely side dish.  The veggies came out tender but crisp.  If you want them to be a little softer, it was suggested that you cut them thinner.  

Our oven runs cooler than the time the recipe calls for. I added about 15 minutes to get the crust to brown nicely. 

I ran out of non-stick cooking spray and used butter to grease the pie plate.

The addition of the mozzarella cheese was a very tasty addition.  The crumb coating which included the Parmesan, equally so. 

I am going to use the crumb mixture to top the next the next macaroni and cheese I make.

Gregg was out of town and I made this to welcome him home.  He thoroughly enjoyed it and also snacked on it later that night.  For him it was the mozzarella cheese that made this dish extra special.   

Even though I have added a link in the beginning of this post, here is the actual food blog address:

https://www.lifesambrosia.com/zucchini-and-yellow-squash-casserole/#recipecard


Thanks for looking and have a great week.




32 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love casseroles, this looks delicious too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, you are very welcome and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e uma boa semana a vocês também.

      Delete
  3. Oh that looks delicious. I do love squash and zucchini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, so glad you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  4. this i can follow and we love squash, will try this. i cooked squash the past two days, used in stir fry with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! We do a lot of stir fry also. It's fast and easy and nutritious :)

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a very good recipe. I don't know if I can find yellow squash, but I can find zucchini here. I shall try that crumb recipe. BTW, I have been doing a food blog every Monday, also. It is fun to write about food, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, glad you like the look of this recipe :) I shall make sure to check out your Monday recipes. I agree, they are fun!

      Delete
  6. ooooh i love these 2 squashes!! i got a lot from my garden and could have used this recipes sooner in the season. it looks and sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, even better if you have your own home-grown :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I can truly say this will be on our table (tv trays) in the upcoming days when I get to the store! The calorie count is impressive too. A good number for something so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Anni :) It is very low calorie and healthy. One of the reasons I picked it in the first place, and happy you like the look of it.

      Delete
  8. This looks and sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  9. All I need is some mozzarella and parmesan and I could make this. Now do I want to make the 4-1/2 mile trip to the store?? Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, maybe you can put them on the list the next time you go :) We are fortunate, our closest grocery is only five minutes away by car.

      Delete
  10. Your zucchini and yellow squash casserole looks delicious. My Dad had a garden when I was growing up, and he planted zucchini. He would bring them inside, and my Mom would cook them that night for supper. : )


    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Sheri :) I envy you all your Dad’s fresh grown zucchini.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!