Thursday, September 30, 2021

WE HAVE RECENTLY RETURNED...

from a trip down south.  It was for a wedding within the family.  We have not seen family members and close friends in well over a year, longer with some who live out of state.  It was a wonderful gathering to see a very special young couple get married.  

My photos were taken at the Williamsburg Inn (opened in 1937), and is where the wedding rehearsal dinner took place. There was hardly anyone around towards the end of the evening in this part of the inn, so I felt I could comfortably take photos of a few of the pieces that caught my attention.  I wasn't leaving there without photos!

Everything was very colonial...
even the wallpaper and curtains.  

I loved looking at all the beautiful flowers in their vases.

There is a video about the history of the hotel here.

Colonial Williamsburg is only a short walk away, and if you would like to see what you can expect if you ever visit or would like to revisit, there is a nice video at this link.  A walking tour down the Duke of Gloucester Street can be seen here.

I was very interested to come across photos of Queen Elizabeth II, who visited here in 1957 and again in 2007.

.

Part of the history at the Inn's website had the following: "In 1943 General George C. Marshall arranged to host the British Joint Chiefs of Staff at the inn as part of a strategy to strength the alliance between America and Great Britain during World War II. Then, in 1946, future President Dwight D. Eisenhower entertained the former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill inside the building following the latter’s famous “Sinews of Peace” speech in Washington. Perhaps one of the grandest visits to ever take place transpired nearly two decades later, when Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, stayed at the Williamsburg Inn amid Virginia’s 350th anniversary. Touring both Williamsburg and neighboring Jamestown, some 40,000 people had traveled just to catch a glimpse of the royal couple. (The Queen and Prince returned in 2007 to observe the commonwealth’s 400th birthday, too.)

I have no idea who are in these paintings, or the artist who painted them.




The birds were hung in one of the hallways.


That's all for today.  Thank you for stopping by and Happy Thursday!




40 comments:

  1. What an amazing place to be able to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lovely place and the flowers are gorgeous as are those figurines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful place to stay and steeped in history

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place.
    I am so very happy that you were able to get away for such a wonderful reason. Thanks for sharing some of the highlights of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue, it was a very special time for all of us :)

      Delete
  5. That looks like a beautiful hotel. I would love to visit Williamsburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do one day Ann, can highly recommend :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado. Um abraço e continuou boa semana :)

      Delete
  7. 😊 It is good to hear young people still get married.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun meeting up with the family. Something I really miss as I am the last survivor of of my line. Keep safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my husband's side of the family Diane. You keep safe also :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Anda sangat diterima :) Saya senang Anda menganggapnya menarik.

      Delete
  10. I often wonder if paintings of humans look like they really looked or were just painted that way, the people in the paintings are so different from the way we look today.. it is a wonderful place and i enjoyed All the photos. a beautiful place for wedding events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered that myself Sandra. Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  11. The one with the blue ribbon on the bodice is: Elizabeth Gilmor by Gilbert Stuart, Washington, D.C., ca. 1803

    I love viewing old portraits!!

    And those roses are absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Anni! Thank you so much for the id on Elizabeth Gilmor's painting. :)

      Delete
  12. A true blogger, you took photos when the taking was good and did some research on the background. What a beautiful place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best Yogi :) My curiosity is always peaked and this was a beautiful place and only a short walk to Colonial Williamsburg. A great location!

      Delete
  13. Hello Denise,
    You visit some beautiful places with such interesting history, amazing curtains and wall paper, superb portraits, a place everyone would enjoy visiting.
    Best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, so happy you enjoyed and best wishes to you also :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos, glad you enjoyed the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your photos so much, Denise! Each one shows the loveliness that surrounds the Williamsburg Inn. Such a special spot that is steeped in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does have a lot of history Martha Ellen, and is so picturesque :)

      Delete
  16. What a lovely destination for a wedding. Glad you could go...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Williamsburg and it's wonderful to see your photos. What a gorgeous site for a wedding. I'm sure it was loads of fun and so good to connect with family again after a long absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, happy you enjoyed :) The actual location of the wedding was several miles away, next to the James River. It also was a gorgeous setting. Yes it was wonderful seeing everyone.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!