Thursday, July 25, 2024

CONTINUING OUR VISIT TO THE MUSEUM OF THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY, WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA 7-16-24

Before I forget, I thought it important to mention that the museum is closed on Mondays.  This is just in case anyone out there is visiting the area and may want to go there. 

Above is an older photo of the museum, from one of our visits shared in this post. The flowers below were found on our recent visit in the flower beds at the side of the museum not too far from where we entered the Glen Burnie Gardens.

This was found right outside of the museum's main entrance. Called Southern Globethistle, other names are Globe thistle and Small Globethistle, with a botanical name of Echinops ritro. Like other thistle plants, it has prickly, weed-like leaves. It is drought tolerant and will grow well in dry soil.
Looking for information on this flower, I came across a new blog to me. The host is a lady called Audrey Driscoll and she also writes stories. I haven't looked into that yet as I was more interested in her flower posts. She has several including this Southern globethistle. If you are interested in taking a look you can go here.

Native to southern and eastern Europe (from Spain east to Turkey, Ukraine, and Belarus) and western Asia. The species is sparingly naturalized in scattered locations in Canada and the United States. It needs a full day of sun, at least six hours to remain compact and grow well. It will grow leggy if shade persists.
Next is the Purple Coneflower, also called Eastern purple coneflower and Hedgehog coneflower. Botanical name Echinacea purpurea. It is an herb native to North America. I have a few of them in my garden and no doubt you are familiar with them as they seem to be everywhere. Its genus name, Echinacea, means 'spiny', because its flowers are especially like a prickly sea urchin, which also has the same genus name. Some people think its flowers resemble petals around pinecones, and so this genus is called the coneflower. Since it has purple petals around the cones, it's called the purple coneflower.
The red flower is Scarlet beebalm. You can see very nice photos of it here, and also other colors plus different types of flowers if you scroll down their page. The ones in the flower bed near the museum were not looking their best, but I still liked them. Shriveled up with the heat probably but still flashy with their red skirts. A few other names are Oswego tea, Crimson bee-balm, Bergamot and Scarlet monarda. Botanical name Monarda didyma. 
It is non-toxic to humans and is a perennial herb. It forms a cluster of bright red flowers atop a 3-foot long stem, which is particularly attractive to hummingbirds. 
The leaves are aromatic with a minty smell, and can also be brewed into a tea. The Oswego people taught the early European colonists to do this in the New York area. Its common name, Scarlet beebalm, refers to the use of a resin which is derived and used for its ability for healing and pain-relieving, and especially from bee stings, hence its name. Most of the flowers are scarlet red-colored, so it is often called scarlet beebalm. You can read more at this link.
I always am curious as to where they originated, and this one is native to Eastern North Amerca and Canada. Its native range is from Quebec south to Maine and down to Georgia, and westward from Ontario to Minnesota, and down to Missouri. It is also native to Washington and Oregon in the west.

Across the road from the museum and up the hill you will see an old silo. It is one of the last remnants of what was once an old working farm here. On this page, it will show you what they have done inside. On the left of the page click on Silo Skyline to see more. It looks very impressive and I would like to take a look next time we go.

I'll end my post here and show you the gift shop early next week. That will be my last share from the museum until the next time we go.

Thanks for looking and 
wishing you all a very enjoyable 
rest of the week.







38 comments:

  1. Nice building Denise and an interesting flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that a lot of things are closed on Mondays. That's one of my days off and when I try to schedule appointments.
    Pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose with everyone working over the weekend. It must be hard trying to shop on those days for you. Thanks Ann :)

      Delete
  3. Echinacea in its various guises is patronized by many birds and pollinator insects, so in addition to being a showy addition to a garden it is very useful too. We have them but the rabbits like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the prickly ball flower, see I have already after reading this forgotten the name. they are all beautiful.. love the old silo at the end.. gorgeous flowers, even the ones that are dying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prickly ball flower is good :) Glad you enjoyed Sandra, thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Neat idea for the old silo!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, they instilled new life into it. I liked that. Thaks Donna and sending hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Love the pretty flowers! Great photos. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed and you take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  7. I like reading about the origins and uses of plants. It's important information so thank you for bringing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Janice, I am happy that you enjoyed. I am always curious about them too. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. The museum looks great! Love beebalm, but I have never seen a scarlet one, just blue one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen the blue ones, they sound very pretty. Thank you Angie :)

      Delete
  9. Another lovely post and quite informative as well, Denise. We really need to take a drive there sometime. Maybe in the Fall when it's cooler. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, so happy you enjoyed. Fall would be a lovely time to visit. You have a nice day also :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this lovely visit, wonderful photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine and thank you so much :)

      Delete
  11. Strangely enough, we have all these flowers here! Except the Globethistle does not have the white tips. I cannot wait for the gift shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about your flowers Ginny :) I will have the gift shop post ready by Tuesday at the latest.

      Delete
  12. I love that so many museums have worthwhile gardens.
    I'm really fond of purple coneflowers. I think they are beautiful through the entire lifecycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they are a lovely addition :) I agree, I like most flowers and their lifecycles. Thanks Yogi!

      Delete
  13. such beautiful images of the gorgeous flowers. lots of purple, i like the globe thistle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like them Debbie, and I know how much you love purple :)))

      Delete
  14. I have visited that museum once. Back when I was volunteering and we took a rather large group of seniors to visit. You brought back some great memories for me today. I don't remember all those pretty flowers, though. Actually I think it was chilly!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, so glad this brought back a lot of good memories Jennifer and thank you :) You probably went past blooming time?

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Me alegra que te hayan gustado. Muchas gracias. Te mando un beso :)

      Delete
  16. I tried to comment last night but on my computer it showed no place to click publish...I love that thistle...I love any thistle really. And that silo is amazing...I am so glad you took the time to share the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Those little cyber gremlins are a pain. I have tried to comment on other blogs and the same happened to me. Fortunately not for a long time though :) Thanks for coming back to try again Rose, appreciate that very much. I love thistles too and happy you enjoyed the inside of the silo.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. You will have a lovely time Sandra, but not when it is super hot. I will look forward to your photos :)

      Delete
  18. The purple spiky flower is very interesting. Have never seen anything quite like it before. You captured many different and unique flowers outside the museum. It must have been a sight for you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, those flowers were indeed very beautiful :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!