Tuesday, July 9, 2024

SLEEPY BEE - MY POEM


 Intoxicated with pollen,

Or having a nap?

I haven’t decided whether

To snooze or to clap!


This bee must be older, and 

He has really slowed down.

A young bee with its energy

Flies to all points around.


As old as this bee is,

From the time of its birth,

It is a valiant soul,

And has shown its true worth.


Let’s applaud him for 

Dedicating his life to the hive,

And tell him what a great bee he is,

As because of him we all thrive.


Prose by Denise


With apologies to all the greats who inspire me, old and young. I love reading poetry but I don’t very often attempt to write any, and I didn’t start the day saying, “Today I am going to write a poem!” Once in every blue moon something will click. The thoughts in my head were a jumble, but as I looked at my photo of this tired little bee, I started jotting things down. I thought he deserved more today than just a photo. They deserve as many tributes as we can give them, our bees. We would be in a very sorry state if they were no more, and their numbers are declining. A very interesting article here on this very subject  

My information below comes from a variety of sources, over a long period of time. You may know much of this already. I always enjoy finding out such things, I enjoy refreshing what is inside my head, sorting out that jumble. I need to be more diligent making a note of where I found my info, as I would like to revisit. This is an ongoing process.


Onward!


Sometimes you may come across a bee who is so still you might think it is dead but this is not so. These bees have flown miles and miles, and may have miscalculated their journey back to the hive.  They are utterly exhausted and in need of some sustenance. To help them on their way, you can mix a special drink for them  

Mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of sugar until the sugar is dissolved.  Either pour this into a shallow plate or you can use a spoon. Place on a garden table or near where you have spotted a bee. You will soon be hearing a buzz of appreciation.

Here are some interesting facts about bees.  Did you know…

The reason bees are so noisy is that they beat their wings 11,400 times in one minute.

Only female bees can sting.  Male bees don’t have stingers.

Honey bees communicate through a series of dance moves.

A hive of bees will fly over 55,000 miles to make 1 lb. of honey a year.

The lifespan of a honeybee is entirely dependent on its role within the hive and the time of the year. During spring or summer, a worker bee will live to about six weeks, while a bee that is prepped and ready for winter can live for four to six months.

Bees can sense the hormone a human gives off when they are scared. If they feel their hive is threatened the bees will attack.

The honeybee is the only insect that makes food that humans can eat.

Each honeybee from the same hive has their own specific color identification.

Eating honey makes you smarter. It has an antioxidant that improves brain functions.

Bees have existed for 100 million years.

The name Melissa is derived from the Greek word for honeybee.

There is a very interesting article here with more fascinating facts about bees.







44 comments:

  1. 100 million years!!!! And our D-I-L is named Melissa, I need to tell her this. I LOVE your poem!!!! Reading so many must have taught you so much. Or maybe you are just naturally talented! I think I will try the sugar water, did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it? How lovely you can tell Melissa the meaning of her name. Now when someone calls her honey(bee), they are actually calling her by her name :) I am very happy you enjoyed the poem. I do believe reading in general can pave the way into many directions. It all sinks in without us realizing it at the time. I thank you kindly for the sweet compliment. Naturally talented? Not sure about that, I just try my best :) I haven't tried the sugar water yet but will if I see any bees I think may need it.

      Delete
  2. Bees seem to me that a numerous number of drones programmed to harvest pollens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem and your salute to these industrious workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, they certainly deserve all the recognition. Like many things we can take the simple bee for granted :)

      Delete
  4. Busy bees actually spend quite a lot of time resting, I read somewhere. Lovely poem, Denise:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, I have seen this many times on our trips around the garden during the summer :) Thank you Janice, I'm happy you enjoyed my poem :)

      Delete
  5. Your poem is a lovely tribute to the hard workers we sometimes forget to give credit! Our pollinators are so very important to our survival. Loved reading that honey makes one smarter. Also the tip about the tired bees is one I must remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so Martha Ellen :) very true! I thoroughly enjoyed finding out more about them, so glad you do too.

      Delete
  6. I like your poem and all the interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much work, for so little honey.. never thought of why they hum, now I know why the powder puff hums loudly when there is a bee on each flower. I like the poem and can relate to the mind with things buzzing around. you do not want to be in my mind at certain times... good job writing down your buzzes for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? On our travels around here in the countryside, we see many bee hives. You and I an relate to 'buzzing around' then? LOL! Happy you liked the poem and love your turn of phrase. Thanks Sandra :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post Denise, I love your poem and photo too.
    We must all do a part in saving the bees, we need to keep them happy and alive.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I much appreciate your kind words. Yes, we must indeed! You take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  9. Love the poem and...100 million years...wow.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow indeed :) Thank you Donna and sending hugs :)

      Delete
  10. They work too hard :-) A nice poem, Denise, and thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie and you are very welcome :)Glad you enjoyed and they certainly do :)

      Delete
  11. We need to show bees more respect - and not just the ones we have domesticated to provide honey for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful poem Denise.
    Interesting regarding the bees.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you thought so Margaret, thank you so much! You take care too :)

      Delete
  13. Your poem is cute and very clever. I didn't know about the sleeping bees and reviving of them. That's a good tip to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, so happy you think so :) I only found out myself about those bees a couple of years back. I would come across several that seemed so still and silent on the flowers and it got me curious.

      Delete
  14. You are a poetic and I know it
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Cecilia, I love that, thank you :) sending hugs!

      Delete
  15. You wrote a lovely poem in honour of the bee. For whatever reason, the bee in your photo does seem sleepy. He must have had a busy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beverley, and much appreciate your comment. Yes, I think he had a very, very busy day :)

      Delete
  16. You forgot to tell your be what a great pollinator he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Red, I will have to do that next time :)

      Delete
  17. Well done, bees are amazing creatures and I have often found them having a nap on a flower especially on a cooler day. Love your poem. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, thank you so much. I look forward to your macro photos, always in awe of them. I'm sure there will be bees involved :) Cheers to you also!

      Delete
  18. And now I know a lot more about the honeybee than before, Denise, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy, happy to share :)

      Delete
  19. I like your poem, Denise! Bees are appreciated around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Ellen and that's lovely! Around here too :)

      Delete
  20. What a lovely poem!
    And we love our bees.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post....and I loved all the facts about bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you think so Rose and that you enjoyed the info about the bees. They are fascinating and industrious little creatures :) Thank you!

      Delete
  22. Thank you for sharing your sweet poem with us Denise! I like your animal cartoons as well. You have a real feeling for the creatures. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Cloudia, so glad you enjoy my posts. My husband would agree with you :) and he is smiling :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!