Wednesday, July 3, 2024

A SHORT RIDE ALONG SNICKERSVILLE TURNPIKE

Before my blogging break, a few weeks ago Gregg said he would like to go for a drive along the Snickersville Turnpike. I always enjoy that area. We did a shorter version this time and I only took a few photos. The weather was sunny and in the mid 70s. 

There were bales of hay in the fields, always a pretty sight in the countryside.

Forever curious I did a search on them. At one place I read that “bales are often wrapped in plastic and stored out in the fields until needed for livestock. The outside edge of a hay bale may be damaged by the weather, but the interior of the bale will stay suitable for animal food. Outdoor storage has reduced the costs of building and maintaining hay barns, so the classic wooden barns are slowly disappearing.” When I read this I thought well, that makes sense but I would be sad to see those old wooden barns disappear completely.
On another website I read that these round bales can weigh from 600 to 2000 pounds. They are either left in the field until they are used or may be moved to a covered storage area. Also, sheep and goats will not eat trampled hay. Horses and cattle are not so picky. I also read that hay is the largest field crop in Virginia.
We drove along the fence line of this property, and it went on for quite a distance. There were small US. flags attached to each post, and banners on the gate as you can see.
I have mentioned before but I often wonder who lives at the end of these driveways.
Some gates had an intercom. I'm just snapping pictures as we drive along. Even on country roads there always seem to be cars behind us, with not many opportunities to stop. Just as well for the nosey parkers who like to take photos on drive-bys from the passenger seat, of stone pillars with planters on top of them!  When the opportunity arises, we will pull over to allow the cars following us to pass. And then we travel at a more leisurely pace, until the next car arrives. These are narrower country roads than those nearer the freeways, and generally these followers live here and probably know all the twists and turns, and go faster than we are prepared to.  
I can't remember the name of this small town, but I was interested in the mailboxes that had a small roof over them. Each mailbox belongs to a different home, this info in case you are living outside of the States. People come to their individual box and get their mail, as the mailman doesn’t deliver them through a slot in the door. This may change in the bigger cities. Everyone in my community has an individual mailbox at the end of their driveway, attached to the top of a wooden post, waist high.
I enjoyed these pretty flowers climbing over the wall.
Shortly afterwards we turned off the turnpike and headed back. It was a nice ride, although shorter than usual, but even the short ones are very enjoyable. If you ever want to visit the area I found this website with vacation rentals and Airbnbs. They were fun to look at too. Here is a photo looking beyond an old stone wall…
and a historical marker showing local history.

We stopped off at Wendy's not too far from home, and deciding to have a fast-food meal instead of putting one together ourselves. We were both feeling a bit tired. It was a nice change as we rarely go to Wendy's. We ordered the same thing, a baked potato and small container of chili. They were very good and piping hot.

Waffling over with! Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully you're having good weather where you are. I have missed visiting but I am catching up ever so slowly. I am eager to see all your photos and writings.

Enjoy the rest of your week. 









22 comments:

  1. I love the flowers all draped over the wall. I can believe your info about the hay, because it is everywhere around here. Usually the round bales, but sometimes we see the older square kind. The info about being stored in the field instead of barns is very interesting! When we go on drives, we always are pulling over to let the inpatient people behind us pass by. There is no way you can take your time with someone right on your bumper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the flowers were very pretty. We were somewhere the other day where we saw the other shape also. I am glad you found their info interesting. I did also. Well, when we are on our drives, it is much more fun to be able to take everything in at a steady pace isn’t it? :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like a really nice area. Interesting about the hay bales. I too would find it sad if wood barns disappeared. I love seeing them. Even the worn down ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about barns, old and new. Those older, falling down barns have a lot of beauty to them and what a history they could tell.

      Delete
  3. so much beauty! I would love to have a driveway with an intercom and the house out of sight of the street... love that stone fence.. I forget that other countries don't know things like mailbox in USA.. of course that changes with different places..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Maybe one of our overseas friends could let us know how mail is delivered where they are.

      Delete
  4. What a nice, relaxing drive. We went on a drive yesterday, late morning. We were on rural roads as well. The highlight of our drive was a doe and several miles later two fawns still wearing their spots along the road. We also stopped at an overlook of the Allegheny River. We have been on the roads we were on, but it had been quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your drive sounds lovely Linda :), especially with the sighting of those sweet deer.

      Delete
  5. wow plenty of beautiful things around. The flowers (climbing roses?) all draped over the wall is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie :) I was very taken with the climbing flowers also. They could very have well been roses.

      Delete
  6. We have all round hay bales here mostly stored in plastic tho' a few of the older farmers who have large stone barns do store the inside.
    The weather here has been foul here and all sorts of strange things going on.
    We do though have a lot of baby Blackbirds Blue Tits and Great Tits around. The Jay pops in most days and we had a young woodpecker visit the other day. Not so welcome but thankfully it only zapped a dove of which we have too many was a Sparrowhawk, I did get some good photos of it, but I am so far behind with blogging it will be a while before it gets posted. I am still working on Namibian photos though I did blog a few May photos the other day.
    Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Diane, that all sounds very interesting. I shall enjoy seeing your photos when you get a chance to share :)

      Delete
  7. Oh yes who lives beyond the fences down the beautiful driveways.
    Snickersville turnpike. Thanks for taking the information picture about it.
    Hugs and Happy 4th to you and Gregg
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Cecilia :) happy you enjoyed. I am also wishing you a Happy 4th of July to you and your hubby.

      Delete
  8. OH word you had a visitor on your deck. Foxy Roxie is quite pretty.
    Great photo
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, she/he was a delightful surprise :)

      Delete
  9. That looks like a nice drive with some interesting sights.
    We have those big round bales all over Oklahoma. Nobody does square bales any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described it well Yogi. That's interesting about your bales of hay. We get mostly the round these days in our area but I saw the other shape a little while ago. I don't think they will be around for long. I suppose it depends on how old the machinery is and when it has to be replaced? Just guessing of course.

      Delete
  10. Es un bello paseo. Me gustaron las fotografías. Te mando un beso. Enamorada de las letras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola mi nuevo amigo :) Gracias por tu lindo comentario. Te mando un beso a ti también. De Denise, Una chica inglesa deambula.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a nice drive. Thanks for the info on hay bales that you researched. I like that name...Snickersville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome for the info Ellen and thank you :) It’s a fun name isn’t it?

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!