Saturday, May 7, 2022

THE EXPRESSIVE CATBIRD

 I am happy that the Gray Catbird has decided to drop in.  I haven't seen one since last year.  It particularly likes the suet feeder.  It took her a little while to get used to it.

One of the interesting facts about the Gray Catbird is that while other birds are tricked by the Brown-headed cowbird who drops its own egg into another bird's nest, the Catbird isn't so easily fooled.  It is able to recognize its own eggs by memorizing the first one it lays, and then will toss any non-matching egg out of the nest.

Catbirds are native to most of temperate North America, east of the Rocky Mountains.  They migrate to the southeastern United States, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean in winter.  Except for the occasional vagrant they always stay east of the American Cordillera.  (The Cordillera is a complex region with three distinct mountain ranges: the Rocky Mountains in the east, the Coast Range (California Borderland) and Klamath Mountains on the west, and the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Mountain ranges just inland from the west.)

Yes, I am indeed very happy the Catbird is back again, and also I am very happy you dropped in for a visit.  

Thanks so much and I hope your Saturday is a great one.





34 comments:

  1. What a great capture! We have them around here, even in our yard. They are dreadfully secretive, though! So it is always like a gift to see one. Their usual call sounds like a cat, but they can make all kinds of noises. I didn't know these facts, especially about the egg swaps.... fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) Since I wrote this post, we have been seeing a lot of them. I agree, they are fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Most definitely, on both counts. Thanks Sue :)

      Delete
  3. I am dropping in but not leaving you an egg. ha ha. cute little catbird and I have not seen one and did not know this info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? No egg? LOL! Thanks for another smile Sandra :) I enjoy learning these things. Happy you do too.

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise,
    Great capture of the Catbird. They are noisy birds, I hear one outside my windows often. Happy Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I am enjoying their visits. I wish you a Happy Mother’s Day weekend also :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Isso é maravilhoso, obrigado! Um abraço e um bom fim de semana para você também :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful shot of this bird. I think it's fascinating that they can tell the difference between their egg and another birds. Also amazing that they will throw those that aren't theirs out of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) it is fascinating behavior.

      Delete
  7. Terrific capture and bubble quote

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful capture of catbird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intelligent catbirds so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the coloring of the Catbird. Glad it returned for you to capture a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very nice thought Ellen, thank you :)

      Delete
  11. Interesting. There is at least one that visits my yard and mews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fascinating to hear Linda, I can't say that I have heard its call yet but I keep hearing about the mewing.

      Delete
  12. What a cute picture! Your birds are quite often very expressive, with your help! I love that. And what smart birds they are -- that's very interesting about their behavior with the cowbird eggs!!! Thank you for the information!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie and you are very welcome, yes they are chatty, just like me, lol!

      Delete
  13. You take the best bird photos, Denise. I am seeing more of the birds coming around now - the mourning doves especially, and the Robin and California Quail.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) we get a lot of doves and robins but the last time I saw a California Quail was in California. What a great memory :)

      Delete
  14. He's a most handsome bird, Denise -- and it's a terrific photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie and thank you :) He posed so nicely that day.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!