Monday, May 16, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BREAKFAST CASSEROLE FOR ONE

This was a very tasty dish which I found at One Dish Kitchen, hosted by Joanie, and the recipe link is here.  A meal made simple for one person, because everything is prepared the night before.  Pop in the oven, set your table and serve.  It was a breeze.  It is made for one but easy to double ingredients to fill two small casseroles, which is what I did.  There are a lot of tips and more delicious recipes at this website, so I would highly recommend a visit.  Thanks Joanie!


Breakfast Casserole For One

Preparation time: 12 hours

Cooking time: 30 minutes

Cooling time: 5 minutes

Total time: 12 hours 35 minutes

Recommended equipment: 5-inch baking dish.  


6 ounces ground pork sausage, cooked and drained of fat 

1 large egg

¾ cup milk 

⅛ teaspoon kosher salt

⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

2 cups cubed French Bread 

½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese , or Monterey Jack cheese


In a medium-sized skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.

In a small bowl, beat the egg. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper.

Butter a 5-inch baking dish, or dish of a similar size. Line the dish with the bread, cutting and rearranging if necessary.

Sprinkle the bread with the cooked sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the entire dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, remove the casserole from the fridge and let it come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. 

Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Cook the casserole, covered with aluminum foil for 25 to 30 minutes or until egg mixture is set.

Remove from the oven and eat while still hot.  

(On the temperature, best to leave it for at least ten minutes before eating.  Make sure to check even after ten minutes, to make sure it won't burn your mouth. 


This was extremely tasty and we both enjoyed very much.   

Changes made:   

I used Challah Bread instead of French Bread.  It was a great substitute.

You can use any milk percentage.  I used 2% milk.

Joanie mentioned Monterey Jack Cheese instead of the Cheddar.  I only had the Cheddar in the fridge, but I would like to try the other next time. 

This is quite a big single portion and could easily be made for two, especially with a side dish.

I had a couple of British Bangers left from the day before, which I sliced.  I used them instead of the ground sausage meat.

I also halved a few grape tomatoes and added them at the same time as the bangers.  How much is to your own taste.   We enjoy them and said we would add more the next time.

I thought a few sautéed mushrooms would be good also.  

A sliced avocado on the side?  We both love those.

A mixed green salad or a selection of favorite fruit was another idea.

We added a tablespoon of Branston's Chutney on the plate as a condiment.  It has always been our favorite chutney.  I thought maybe a little dab of AI Sauce?

I have left the full website address below just in case the link doesn't work for you.  I don't always remember to do this.  

There are lots of other delicious, single portion recipes on this food blog, and I will definitely be going back.

https://onedishkitchen.com/breakfast-casserole/


That's it for this week's recipe.  Thanks for looking and happy week to you all.





26 comments:

  1. That's a breakfast fit for the queen :-) Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Maravilhoso! Muito obrigado! Um abraço e boa semana :)

      Delete
  3. This does look delicious. I'll have to check out the website because I need to learn to cook single portions. I normally make something normal size then have leftovers for days and some to put in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it, leftovers are great :) Thanks Ann!

      Delete
  4. It does look like a very large dish for one - but leftovers would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Move OverJimmy Dean! There's a new gal in town replacing your breakfast bowls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    The casserole looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe and link. Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen, thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious, good idea to use leftover sausages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I like anything that uses up leftovers in the fridge :)

      Delete
  8. sounds delish, but i like Bob's making his own 2 eggs, sausage and toast himself. much easier

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many breakfast casserole recipes that would serve a crowd but with just the two of us here most mornings it's nice to have this smaller alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the ingredients agree with me. I would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds wonderful and I appreciate the link. After all this time as a family of two, I still struggle with portion control so I already know that site will be helpful for me! (For instance, I have an old recipe for a breakfast casserole recipe that I used to make for special family occasions; it easily served six, including hungry teenagers -- I've never successfully cut it down to a manageable size for "just us".)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and I know what you mean Sallie. I like leftovers but sometimes it's nice just to have a portion for ourselves. I'm glad I found this website.

      Delete
  12. This looks great, Denise. I love small batch cooking. And thanks for stopping by and your good wishes today. So very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jeanie. I always enjoy my visits :) I also appreciate yours. Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!