Friday, November 26, 2021

MOUNT VERNON - GEORGE WASHINGTON’S HOME

An old blog post which I hope you don’t mind me revisiting.  I haven’t had a chance to take any nature photos since our last walk.  Yesterday was Thanksgiving here.  For those of you who were celebrating, I hope your day was wonderful.  To all those who had a regular day, I hope your day was wonderful too.  

Since we have lived in this area we have visited George Washington's home, Mount Vernon, on several occasions. Usually this is where we take family and friends who have been visiting at the time.  My first photos show the likeness of General Washington, and below these I have included several of his quotes.

Depending on the time of the year, the lines can be very long and our guests on occasion, understandably so, do not want to wait the two hours it might take to get inside the house.  This has often been in the height of the summer when it is very hot and humid. However, the walk around the grounds alone is well worth the visit and they have a lovely garden. And the Fall is a great time to go for less crowds, and also reasonable weather, especially in October.


The two photos above and below were taken in the museum.  The one below is a larger than life hologram that greets you.
Quotes attributed to George Washington.

Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.

My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.

Knowledge is, in every country, the surest basis of public happiness.

Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.

The best means of forming a manly, virtuous, and happy people will be found in the right education of youth. Without this foundation, every other means, in my opinion, must fail.

There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily.

We must take human nature as we find it. Perfection falls not to the share of mortals.

In the visitors center there is an amazing stained glass of various scenes from George Washington's life, close-ups of some below.  It was so big we found it difficult to get it all into frame.

If you ever get to visit I would say plan on a lot of walking, and make sure you are wearing very comfortable shoes. Also, take along a backpack with bottles of water.  I saw several people do this including one person who had his own 'camel-back'.  If you are a serious hiker you will know what it is, if you are like me and didn't/don't, you can see what they look like here.  I got a lot of great tips at Tripadvisor here from people who had already visited.  Scroll down to where you see the other reviews button.  There is an extraordinary number of them, but reading the first few should give you an idea. 

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!

30 comments:

  1. What a fascinating and informative post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would certainly enjoy visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Denise,
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Mount Vernon sounds like a great place to visit, thanks for sharing the information and the Quotes. Take care, enjoy your day and the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did thank you Eileen and I hope you did also. Glad you enjoyed and you enjoy your day and weekend also :)

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite, as I mentioned last week, landmarks of the D C area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. I wouldn't stand in line for two hours to see anything because I have never had to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I would not be physically able to do stand for two hours. I feel fortunate we don't live too far away as we can visit when it is quieter.

      Delete
  6. Looks like another great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, we do enjoy it. I forgot to mention the great gift shop it has. Wonderful to browse around but for that you don't have to buy a ticket.

      Delete
  7. As much as we enjoy visiting new places, I know that a long wait would out us off as well, Denise, especially in warmer months. Your suggestion in off peak times is a good one. We have visited Jefferson’s home if Monticello but not yet Mount Vernon, perhaps a future road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for most of us Dorothy. I am always amazed at the long lines but when people come from here and all over the world to buy tickets, for them it is worth the wait.

      Delete
  8. What a nice home Washington lived in. I just love it. And he was such a handsome man, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly did and it's a very interesting place to walk in his footsteps :)

      Delete
  9. the stained glass is just gorgeous! His quotes will stand for ever and now we have access on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ole George was a wise man.
    I love the quotes you found.
    I love the stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The stained glass is gorgeous! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love stained glass in general, and especially the stories they tell :)

      Delete
  12. I've always wanted to visit Mt. Vernon and yet to go. So thanks for sharing these. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jeanie, do hope you can visit one day :)

      Delete
  13. That stained glass is wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. These look wonderful. Wishing you a great Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nas, and I appreciate your Thanksgiving wishes :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!