Monday, November 22, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - STEAK FAJITAS

I found a great recipe at Add a Pinch hosted by Robyn.   The original can be found here.  

The beef and vegetables are marinated separately the night before, but you can marinate also up to one hour before. However, having everything prepared the night before made this dish super fast and easy to put on the table.

Robyn has many others delicious looking recipes. I am looking forward to going back soon, and I also enjoy reading her tips before each one.


Steak Fajitas 

6 Servings 



2 pounds skirt, flank, sirloin, or hanger steak sliced into ½ inch strips

1 red pepper deseeded and sliced into thin strips

1 green or yellow pepper deseeded and sliced into thin strips

1 medium onion peeled and sliced into thin strips

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon lime juice

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

pinch cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

2 cloves garlic minced

6-8 tortillas warmed


Here are several garnish choices you might choose, depending what you have available.  I put an asterisk next to our selection. We would enjoy any of these.  

Grated cheese (we use a Mexican blend from the supermarket)*

Sour cream*

Tomato, diced

Green onions, sliced thin

Guacamole*

Salsa*

Refried Beans*

Sliced jalapenos, the kind that have been marinated in a jar 

Crispy Lettuce*

Cilantro


Measure out all your ingredients and prepare steak and vegetables.

Prepare marinade:

In a jar with a screw top lid, add olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Shake until well combined.  (I had an old peanut butter jar that I saved just for things like this).

Place the steak into a resealable bag. 

Place the peppers and onion into a separate resealable bag. 

Pour ⅓ of the marinade over steak, ⅓ of marinade over vegetables and reserve and refrigerate the remaining marinade in the jar for using when cooking the steak fajitas. 

Seal the bags and gently squeeze the bags to distribute the marinade throughout, (being careful to check your bag is sealed tightly. I usually put these bags upright in a large bowl to prevent accidental drips.)  Refrigerate for one hour to overnight.  

Next day just before you are ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 350 deg. F.  You will be using a skillet for the meat and vegetables but will be heating tortillas in the oven. (See note below if you prefer to use a microwave.)

Start heating the skillet over medium-high heat.  

Wrap a stack of about four to six tortillas in aluminum foil and put in the pre-heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.  These need to be nice and warm as they will have a direct impact on how they will hold and taste when used in your recipe.

Note: Alternatively you can place 3-4 tortillas at a time on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds, then set aside until ready to serve. This method can sometimes make tortillas a bit gummy, but it still works if you are short on time.

Now for the steak and vegetables: 

Carefully empty the bag with the vegetables into the preheated skillet and cook until just tender crisp, about 5 minutes. 

Remove the vegetables from the skillet to a plate and add steak strips to the same skillet. 

When the steak is done (about 7-10 minutes), add vegetables back to the skillet along with the reserved marinade.

For serving, place enough steak and vegetables on the warm tortillas, and layer your chosen garnishes on the top.  Gregg had his refried beans in a separate dish on the side.  I spread a thin layer on my tortilla before adding the steak/vegetable mixture   

If the links don't work at the beginning of my post, here is the address of the original recipe:

https://addapinch.com/steak-fajitas-recipe/

Excellent dish which we will make again.  

We both thought extra sweet peppers and onion would be nice.  

Gregg didn't think there was enough marinade, so he added a couple more tablespoons of olive oil and the juice from a second lime.  

There were enough leftovers for dinner the next day, and lunch the day after that.

This is very tasty.  A fun food but a tad messy.  Extra napkins will come in useful.  

Even though this is meant to be eaten with your hands, we added a fork and spoon at each place setting.


Thanks for looking and ...




32 comments:

  1. Oh my...this meal in itself is a keeper!! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, I would love this recipe!

    Have a great day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, thank you Eileen and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was Ann, and the leftovers tasted even better :)

      Delete
  4. This would be a big hit in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! The marinade sounds great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonder how much it would cost to send this to my hubby. ha ha. it looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds real good. I can eat Mexican every other day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fajitas. This looks like a great recipe. We also grill flank steak after marinating for a day or two and serve sliced over a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi, that's great and it sounds so good :) I will have to start even earlier next time.

      Delete
  9. Though messy, the folks around here would love these! I like the fact the veggies are marinated. Thank you for sharing your ideas and recipe, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, happy you like the sound of this. I guess I could put hand wipes at every place setting too ;)

      Delete
  10. So pleased you enjoyed it, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  11. I’ve already bookmarked this one. Sounds wonderful. And I appreciated the hint about warming the tortillas in the oven …I’ve never been real happy with how they turn out from the microwave! It’s funny because you’d think as old as I am I would have known about the oven more than I would have the micro! But I guess we didn’t eat tortillas back when I was young and microwaves hadn’t been invented 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, so late answering this Sallie. I am wayyyyy behind, sorry about that! Glad you liked the sound of this. We enjoyed it very much. I can relate to when we were young. I only started eating different kinds of foods when I got married. Gregg introduced me to lots of new culinary adventures, and the way of doing things :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!