Monday, October 18, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BUTTER CAKE

 

The first time I made this cake was in the wintertime, so my notes are from then.

  On Saturday afternoon, when the weather was so cold that I didn't feel like poking my nose outdoors, I declared it would be my baking day.  I found this recipe at "Just A Pinch" at this link.   Please go visit as it is always worth looking at the original recipe for any good tips I may not have shared, and besides that there are lots of other delicious recipes you can try.  The recipes are actually a collection from several good cooks. I am thinking of making it again for Easter.  I have a cute bunny cake plate that is ready and waiting.  

Butter Cake  -  Serves 10

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients:

3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of buttermilk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softend
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 eggs, room temperature

Butter Glaze:

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar (white sugar, not powdered)
3 tablespoons water
1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract


Turn oven on to 325 degrees F.

Get your bundt pan, grease well with butter and add a couple of tablespoons of flour.  Roll the flour around until flour coats all the pan. Knock the excess out.  It is important not to skip these steps, otherwise your cake may stick.  

With an electric mixer combine the cake flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and mix to combine.

Add the buttermilk, butter, vanilla and almond extracts and eggs. Mix well.  Do not over do it, mix just until ingredients are combined.  It takes about three-and-a-half minutes but use your own judgement.  If you feel everything is mixed in properly then stop.

Pour into the prepared bundt pan.  

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour to 1-1/4 hours, or until tester comes out clean.   Mine took the longer time but oven heat varies. Another tip suggests checking after 50 minutes.


Glaze instructions:

Combine all the ingredients except the vanilla in a saucepan.  Bring to a slow boil over medium heat.  Stir in vanilla, set aside to slightly cool.  I started this process about 20 minutes before the cake was due to come out of the oven.  

Using your favorite oven mitts, carefully take the cake out of the oven and place bundt pan on a cooling rack.  While it is still hot and leaving the cake in the pan, pierce exposed cake all several times with fork tines or a bamboo skewer (I used a pointy chopstick).  Pour half the glaze slowly over the cake and let the glaze drip into those holes.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then unmold onto a cake plate.  

Pour the remaining glaze slowly over the cake.  Let cool and serve with fruit or ice cream and refrigerate any leftovers.  

Apparently the longer this cake sits and matures, the better it will be.

Notes:

If you don't have any cake flour there was a very clever substitution tip which produces great results.

Cake flour substitution: 

All-purpose flour (just under 1 cup)
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Place two tablespoons of cornstarch in a one-cup measure.

Fill the rest of the cup with all-purpose flour.

Use in place of the cake flour in any recipe.

One cup of substitute is equal to one cup of cake flour.





What did we think?  It came out beautifully and was a delicious cake.  I can see it will be a favorite to prepare for company.  The glaze alone was delectable, and I was very happy with the texture and taste.

I didn't have any ice-cream or fruit, but if I am going to prepare this for company, I would definitely dress it up with our favorite vanilla ice-cream and fresh strawberries. To be perfectly honest it can stand alone as is but looks prettier dressed up a little.

The almond taste isn't overpowering, very subtle, which was a big plus in our book

I decorated simply by putting raw almonds on the top at intervals.  They made a nice tasty nugget to eat with a slice. 

With any leftover cake, I cut into slices and individually wrapped for the freezer.  


Thanks for looking and have a great week!







29 comments:

  1. My mother made a very similar cake. Every week. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it was delicious! My mum used to make her cakes every week. Nothing beats our mums' cooking :)

      Delete
  2. I love your cake flour substitution! I will write it down. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny and happy you liked the substitution. I find it comes in useful at times.

      Delete
  3. Anything almond flavored is a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Anni, one of my favorite flavorings :)

      Delete
  4. bob would love a chunk mailed to him, no cakes in our house for almost 5 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time Sandra :) We don't make many either, a once in a blue moon treat for us.

      Delete
  5. Looks quite delicious. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, and all is very well. I hope the same for you :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the tip for cake flour. Not so sure about the buttermilk. Never used it in my life! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Gigi :) I know family members who drink buttermilk. I don't but do enjoy using it when I bake cakes. It's supposed to make them lighter and fluffier.

      Delete
  7. Mouthwatering and picture-perfect cake. Yours is a lucky household where treats such as these are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penelope, there are times when we do enjoy our treats :)

      Delete
  8. Butter cake, how interesting. It looks so moist and delicious. I think the almonds
    would make it. I love almonds.

    Have a good October week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sheri, I also love cooking with almond paste, around the holidays usually :)

      Delete
  9. That certainly looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well...how can you go wrong with Butter cake? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet I would love this...it just sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would Rose. It has been a while since I made it but am thinking of giving us a treat soon. Maybe this will be it :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!