Friday, October 22, 2021

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE - SAN DIEGO 2010

Lucky birds to live in such fine accommodations. 

 My photos were taken several years ago at the San Diego Botanical Garden in September 2010.  I was on my own but had tagged along on one of hubby's business trips, before retirement.  

It was the first time I had ever used GPS and remember feeling elation.  It gave me the comfort to venture forth in an unknown area.  I had an Atlas and had also written instructions, but could not take my eyes off that busy freeway.  I managed to get to the garden there and back without getting lost, while listening to the voice in the machine. It was a 70 plus mile round trip and meeting up with my Dear Other Half at the end of his work day, I remember the excitement of telling him all about the journey and about this beautiful garden.  

Another first for me was seeing my first hummingbird.  (I believe I have found its ID at this link, Allen's Humminbird?  Any experts out there who can confirm?  Added note:  In their comments below Anni of Hootin' Anni's Day Trippin' and David of Travels with Birds, both of whom know their birds, say this looks like Anna's Hummingbird.  Thank you Anni and David!  I can always count on my blogging friends.)  A great memory as even now it makes me smile at the excitement I felt at that encounter. I was sitting in a quiet spot on my own, and a hummingbird flew onto a branch just above my head.  We stared at each for what seemed like a long time, and I took lots of photos.  I put my camera down and observed quietly for several minutes before she flew away.

I felt like the young girl in this beautiful painting.  I wish I could give you the name of the artist, but I believe she knew how I felt with each brushstroke.  And at the end of every pathway was another memory maker.  I stayed for hours.  Absolute magic!


May you have your own magical moments this weekend, and thanks for visiting.  




46 comments:

  1. And these photos are memorable souvenirs of your happy time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you have such lovely memories.You were brave to go so far in a strange city. Bravo for using a GPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Diane. It was quite an adventure :)

      Delete
  3. Love this area of San Diego!! The zoo is awesome too.
    Yep, she's an Anna's!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you for the ID Anni. Loved the zoo also :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Obrigada :) Um abraço e também um bom final de semana.

      Delete
  5. Certainly good home for the birds.
    Never seen a hummingbird in reality..nice memories Denise,

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day trip that must have been. GPS is a wonderful thing. I use it occasionally to wander down unknown roads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Denise
    Wonderful memories and pretty photos from your visit to the gardens in San Diego.
    I love the cute hummingbird , the painting and the beautiful flowers. Have a great day and a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Eileen and thank you. You have a great day and happy weekend also :)

      Delete
  9. I am fairly sure that your hummingbird is a female Anna's Hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i need to out and find magical moments, have not done that in a very long time. i love the girl and the flowers and your humming bird is so pretty. good job using the gps, i don't have one and no idea how to, also wild clapping for doing the 70 mile trip alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you find them very soon Sandra. And thank you for the applause :)

      Delete
  11. I have never seen a hummingbird in real life, so I can imagine what a treat it must have been for you. Yes, thank goodness we have knowledgeable blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. It’s lovely isn’t it Christine? :) So bright and cheerful!

      Delete
  13. You have wonderful memories of your time in the botanical gardens. A pretty humming bird, a colourful painting and those well made bird houses are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful, Denise! I love how you shared your joy that beautiful day in San Diego.The hummingbird encounter is beautiful. I used to tag along with Grayden on his travels as well and San Diego was one of my favorite places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I am happy you enjoyed :) How lovely you also used to go with Grayden on his business trips.

      Delete
  15. The little hummer is quite a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The GPS is wonderful. I have been so glad to have it when driving home from an unknown place at night. It does give a boost of confidence and safety. I don't think I've even seen a hummingbird that wasn't in motion at a flower. Wow. Some really good shots and an exciting day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee, GPS is the best thing since sliced bread I used to say :) After having to go out at night for gatherings with other navy wives when the ship went out to sea, there was many a time I would get lost. Much worse at night I think.

      Delete
  17. I bet that felt wonderful to do that on your own...I can imagine how you felt and what wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing these memories and lovely photographs.
    Wishing you a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan, so glad you enjoyed. Thank you and you have a good weekend also, all the best :)

      Delete
  19. We felt your excitement and the thrum of the hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that came through Cloudia. Thank you :)

      Delete
  20. Yes, I agree. The painting is absolutely beautiful and makes people happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Cheerful paintings always make me feel so good.

      Delete
  21. 70 miles? I am so impressed Denise. I see it was really worth the drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay and it certainly was worth the drive :)

      Delete
  22. You know, San Diego is a nice place to visit. Lots of things to see and do and the people are pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought so Yogi, I always enjoyed the people there and we were also in Long Beach for a couple of years, and then in Monterey for another two :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!