Wednesday, October 13, 2021

GREEN SPRING GARDENS - PART 1 - 9-2-21

We were here last month, at the beginning of September.   If you don't walk down to the pond (the road was blocked off as a wall was being built - no ponds this day), the area is nice and flat with a huge green in the center, and flowers all around the edge of the garden.  For the dilly-dalliers like me there are many beautiful flowers to explore and to take photos of.  For those who are more into proper exercise (and we do get our exercise but at a more "let's take a photo of that flower" exercise, dilly-dally), it is a great place for serious walkers, with the added benefit of being in beautiful surroundings.There is also the house.  I have often thought how lovely it would have been to live there.  Its history can be found at this link.  If you scroll down at that website, you will see a slide show of the house in every season.

I have shared it many times in the lifetime of this blog.  In 1784 John Moss built a square, two-story Georgian brick house on 540 acres of farmland in Fairfax County, but at the link above you can read its very interesting history.  There is a small tea room inside where you could order an afternoon tea.  Not sure if they are still being offered, especially since everything went a bit haywire.  Best to check at their website to see if you can reserve a table.  If you find yourself in the area the website will be a good source of information.  

The Grape Leaf Anemone grows in the flower bed in front of the house. Botanical name Eriocapitella vitifolia, and its common name is Grape leaf windflower, so called because "Anemone" comes from the Greek word "Anemoi", which means "winds".  It originated in the Himalayas.  
Next photo shows Boton de oro, botanical name Melampodium divaricatum.  Also known as Hierba aguada, Blackfoot and Goldenbutton.  It is an annual plant and grows to a height of three feet. Its genus name (Blackfoots) comes from its black stalks, combining the Greek "melam" which means "black" and "pous" which means foot.  It needs full sun to partial shade in well-drained soil.
This is Blue mistflower, botanical name Conoclinium coelestinum.  Also known as Mistflower, Wild ageratum and Blue boneset.  It is an herbaceous perennial and native to North America.  The plant produces clusters of bright blue, violet or white flower heads.  Since there are many thin and long flower petals in each flower, it creates a misty appearance.  Also the flowers are blue so it is called blue mistflower.
Our next flower is Larkdaisy, botanical name Centratherum punctatum.  Also known as Brazillian button flower, Brazilian bachelor's button, lark daisy and porcupine.  Native to Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and tropical South America.  I was quite taken with this one as I don't remember seeing it before.  It is an annual plant, spreads easily and it is treated as a weed in various warm climates, blooming in spring to the fall.  If you don't dead-head them they will in fact, spread like a weed.Brown-eyed Susan, botanical name Rudbeckia triloba.  Its common names are Thin-leaf coneflower, Browneyed susan, Three-lobed coneflower or Branched coneflower, and genus Coneflowers (Rudbeckia). Brown-eyed susans can tolerate temperatures as low as  -30 deg. F.It typically grows grows 2-4′ tall, but can reach towering heights with proper conditions and lots of care can grow as much as 8ft.
Brown-eyed susan and Black-eyed susan are not the same flower.  Brown-eyed susan will be somewhat taller than Black-eyed susan and bloom later.  The flower heads of Brown-eyed susan (1-2" diameter/2.5-5 cm) are also smaller than Black-eyed susan (3" diameter/7.5 cm).   Additionally, the central stalk of Brown-eyed susan will branch multiple times creating a shrub/busy like appearance.  While Black-eyed susans will generally be a single stalk, or have very limited branching.  Furthermore, some leaves of Brown-eyed susan will be deeply lobed, almost having 3 wide prongs.
Creeping zinnia.  Its botanical name is Zinnia angustifolia and common names are Narrow-leaf zinnia, Mexican zinnia, Zinnia and Youth-on-age.  Needing full sun to partial sun, it blooms in spring, summer and fall.  It is native to northern and western Mexico and the southwestern United States.  The plant needs little care but with a little work, you can set it and forget it. 
This pretty butterfly is called American Lady (Vanessa Virginiasis) on the Creeping Zinnia.  
The adult loves to dine on flower nectar.
It migrates north in the Spring and south in the Fall, sometimes in large numbers.  Caterpillars feed on plants in the Aster family (Compositae) such as Ironweed, pearly everlasting and plantain pussy toes. My information came from here and here.  And there are lots of photos here, which provides a map of where you can find them in the U.S and also in Canada.

I have more to share from this particular visit.  There is also a Part 2 and Part 3.  You can click on their links to take you there.





38 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more! The Larkdaisy has to be my favorite. I have never seen or heard of such a flower, and what a beauty! Rather odd looking as well. And this TREE in front of the house! Ir is HUGE and gorgeous! Do you know what kind it is and how old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, so glad :) I love that old tree but I don't know how old it is or what it is I'm afraid. I need to remember to take a photo of the leaves with my plant app the next time we go.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking us back to this oasis of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue, happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Denise,:=) It has taken me a long time to visit, I'm sorry for the long absence from your blog, because your posts are always interesting. I love flowers, and this is the kind of place I would be happy to amble around Lovely photos of flowers all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary :) it's hard to keep up with everyone but I am always happy to see you. Thank you my friend!

      Delete
  4. it is worth the trip just for the gorgeous flower photos. i love the purple button and all the yellow makes me happy. the house is gorgeous the yard is even prettier than the house. love that second photo of the shade and sunlight. maybe it should be called Twin Chimneys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Sandra :) That would be a good name for the place.

      Delete
  5. I love, love, LOVE the one from Brazil!! Purple. My favorite color. And those zinnias that spread and vine out...perfect to fill a rock garden. The house sitting on that many acres would be a dream house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it? Visiting this place always gives me good ideas for next planting season. Definitely a dream house :) Thanks Anni!

      Delete
  6. How lovely to see these photos, pretty flowers and intriguing house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place. So many pretty flowers. I would dilly dally too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to meet a fellow dilly dallier :) Thanks Ann!

      Delete
  8. I read the history of the house and found it interesting. We have a series of television programmes in the UK filmed in different cities called "A House Through Time". The researcher presenter tells the story of the people who lived in the old houses over several eras of time. The house you saw on your walk would be a good subject. I enjoyed seeing the different flowers growing around the site and look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Linda and thank you :) Those programs sound like something I would enjoy.

      Delete
  9. Hello Denise,
    What a lovely walk. Beautiful collection of flowers and a pretty butterfly.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen :) Thank you and you take care and enjoy your day also!

      Delete
  10. There is always something in your blog to cheer me up. Thank you so much, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to let me know they cheered you Gigi. You are very welcome my friend :)

      Delete
  11. I really appreciate your plant and insect photos. But what I'm really impressed with is that you can use the Latin names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, kind of you to say. I try to add the Latin names for our overseas blogging friends (and my own curiosity). I figured the common names change from country to country, but the Latin names always stay the same and are more easily identified when researching.

      Delete
  12. A lovely collection of flowers. Great butterfly capture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. walking or jogging path look very nice with beautiful nature... flowers everywhere.

    Thank you for sharing wonderful photos

    ReplyDelete
  14. These beautiful flowers are meant to be enjoyed and snapped by your camera. I love the idea of set it and forget it, Denise. My kind of flower! The American Lady capture is exquisite. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need all the help in the garden I can get Martha Ellen, set it and forget it sounds grand :) Thank you!

      Delete
  15. It is excellent seeing people out and about, again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I especially like the photos with the butterfly. I enjoyed the photos of the place in all seasons..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Rose, and the house is very pretty all year :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!