Friday, March 10, 2023

DEER AT BIG MEADOWS

One of the transfers from my old blog from February 2014.  It had snowed but there was only a little left when we visited.

Big Meadows is one of our favorite places and another we have frequented for years.  We would liked to have checked in at the Lodge not far away, but it is closed until Spring.  We stayed at the Lodge for a weekend several years ago, and have talked about going again for some time now.


It is not for just the beautiful scenery we find along Skyline Drive.  At Big Meadow we often enjoy seeing the deer and I have posted about them before.   



Most of the snow had melted but there were still large patches here and there.


On this visit we saw more deer than we have ever seen before.  We counted at least 27 by the end of our walk.


They were aware of our presence, but we were told when we first discovered the meadow that they are well used to people. We watched as parents with two small children and a dog on a leash walked around the first small herd we came across.  A few deer looked up and twitched their ears listening.  I thought that we wouldn't be able to see them much longer, that they would soon be off into the woods. 


I was glad to see that family behaving responsibly.  The children and little dog did not run or make any noise, the dog was on a leash.  The parents had taught them well.  I silently thanked them for not going any further and watched as parents, children and four-legged family member turned around and walked in the other direction. 


There was a lot of tasty grass to munch in peace.


"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything."
~Albert Einstein~


A few heads came up at the slightest sound.


We saw other humans come and go.


This mother took very good care of her fawn. When the doe ambled away her little one followed.  We thought the smaller one might have been born last Spring.  


"The company of deer can fill one's soul with the love of Nature."  This quote is mine, I think.  It popped into my head as I watched and took everything in around me, but then I have come across many quotes as I love reading them.  I might have heard it somewhere and borrowed it.  Either way, it fit my mood perfectly, I find being out in nature completely soothing and relaxing, peaceful.  


I could sit myself on the ground and watch for hours.....


and hours.....


and hours.


And then come back the next day and do it all over again.  


Look at that one ear turned in our direction?


Always on the look-out.


Used to people they may be, but her wild instincts were still there I am happy to say, ready to take flight if we got too close (I am using a zoom lens and wasn't very close at all).  We stayed where we were as quiet as possible.


Another wonderful walk across Big Meadows, made even more so because of all the deer we found there.


You can go here to read about Big Meadows.

Added note: some of you expressed an interest in the grasses on the meadow.  I found this at the Shenandoah National Park site here.

"In Shenandoah National Park grasses can be easily viewed at Big Meadows where red top (Agrostis perennans) and tall oat grass (Arrhenatherum elatius) are particularly common.  The troublesome invasive Japanese stilt grass (Microstegium vimineum) can be seen throughout the Elkwallow picnic area where it has overrun virtually all other forest understory herbs.  Grasses possess a subtle beauty and provide a worthy botanical challenge to those interested in determining individual species.  Take a moment next time you pass some of the grass to bend down and take a closer look."

Good advice!  I think I could have been a botanist in another life.  I have always enjoyed studying such things up close.  It is amazing what you see.  


Thank you for walking across the meadow with me.  I hope your day is a great one.





 

38 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos! We live at the foot of Big Meadows. Next time you go, let me know and we can meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny and most definitely, I would enjoy that very much :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful place to visit. It would be fun to watch all those deer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful, how wonderful!! I too can sit and watch and listen for hours at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirits :) How wonderful! Thanks Anni!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi William and thank you :) I couldn’t agree more :)

      Delete
  5. These animals are running free and that makes me so happy and I sure would like to see them running through all that grass or wandering around in it and God bless people who take care and don’t scare or harm the animals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always best to see these beautiful animals in their own natural habitat. And yes, God bless those who people. I remember being very grateful that they were teaching their children how to behave around them, and their dog :) Sowing the seeds of kindness when dealing with people too.

      Delete
  6. wow those shots of deer are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, they certainly were very cooperative that day. They are fine as long as we stay a good distance away, and I was very happy we have our zoom lens.

      Delete
  7. Aren't they one of the most beautiful creatures in the world? Love your quote, it is so appropriate. We have deer within sight of us almost all day long in the winter. At this moment I can see 10 while sitting on my couch. I could not imagine a life without seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim and Barb, I agree wholeheartedly and thank you! How wonderful that you get to see them often. I live in a pretty built up area so unfortunately I don't, which makes it even more special when we do see them :) We don't really have to drive too far but there don't seem to be as many around as there used to be. Hopefully the spring will be more fruitful in more ways than one.

      Delete
  8. I can see why this is a favorite place. What beautiful deer and wildlife. It sort of takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, when I see them it takes my breath away too :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. That's a good way to describe them Christine, thank you :)

      Delete
  10. i too could sit on the ground all day and watch them forever. they are so beautiful and i also find them to be tame and curious. your pictures are gorgeous, the deer, ground cover and the backround!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, I really appreciate that :) They are endearing animals aren't they?

      Delete
  11. Those deer look very healthy and well fed. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It never gets old to see deer grazing. Lovely photos. Hope you have a nice weekend. Don't forget to change your clocks forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never does, you are right :) Thank you Ellen and also for the reminder about changing our clocks forward.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful pictures! There's nothing nicer and more calming than deer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful deer photos, Denise. I never tire of seeing the precious deer photos. Your deer there are a bit different than ours here. Yes, the slightest sounds makes their heads pop up and gaze at us. They seem to be very alert, and they truly are special animals. I see them sometimes at the creek, and in the deep forest when driving. And they even come into my neighborhood at times. It's incredible.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri, like you I never tire of seeing them. I'm wondering if you get mule deer in your area? Ours are the white-tailed deer. From what I remember, their tails go straight up when they take flight, so that their family can see them and follow. Fortunately, there were no straight up white tails on our trip, lol!

      Delete
  15. I love seeing the animals and critters out and about in their environment. Knowing they are free to come and go and wander in and out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Pam and thank you :) I feel the same way.

      Delete
  16. The deers on the red tinged grassland look so poetic and elegant. Really love the natural beauty in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare, enjoyed your description very much. It fits perfectly :)

      Delete
  17. They are beautiful creatures, of that there is no doubt, but now that natural predators are no longer a threat, their numbers have increased to the point where they are destroying ecosystems and eating themselves out of house and home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a sad state of affairs for these awesome animals David.

      Delete
  18. I love Big Meadows also. The deer seem to know the dog is on a leash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place isn’t it? I think you are correct about the deer and the dog.

      Delete
  19. The deer are beautiful. When we first got our bush block I spent many happy walks looking at the different grasses and tiny flowers. It was astounding how many different ones there were. Sadly, as we have mowed the grass and cleared the brush many of them are now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan Elizabeth, your walks sound idyllic :) I remember when we got rid of our clover to beautify our front lawn, we also got rid of our sweet bunnies who preferred the house and their tasty clover down the road. Never again will I get rid of any clover :) I missed seeing the bunnies too much.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!