Saturday, March 4, 2023

SATURDAY MORNING NOT AT THE BIRD FEEDER - BURKE LAKE PARK AND A VISITOR


This one is an old blog transfer from 2013
While visiting the park we were sitting at a picnic table when we saw a v-shaped wake coming towards us moving fast.  It was hard to see what it was at first.  


After listening to the chaotic, territorial honking on the other side of the lake, I actually had a pretty good idea what it was.  An observant Canada Goose had noticed us sitting down at the picnic table, and he decided to pay us a visit.


How nice of you!


I'm afraid not Mr. Goose, we don't have any food for you today.


Well, we have walked a long way and needed to rest and enjoy the scenery.  We didn't realize you would be visiting, very sorry Mr. Goose.


Somehow, I don't think he believed us.  He is still heading our way and getting closer.


We have checked our pockets, not one crumb, and besides, human food is really bad for you. 
 

 Look at that expression, he looks absolutely disgusted but eventually believed us.


Sometimes you have to go with the flow!


 You know, you have a whole lake of water, why are you drinking out of a muddy little pool?


That was the wrong thing to say.  I was getting "the look!"


 And what a look it was!


 He was staring long and hard and.....


 just wouldn't quit!


Have you ever been stared down by a goose?


It is a bit disconcerting as you don't know what's going to come next but...


Good luck on holding that sandwich little girl!


I thought to myself, nope!  There's plenty of food in your natural world right now.  Besides, we wouldn't have enough for you and your 500 relatives.

All joking aside this was a very gentle goose, probably tired of listening to all the honking across the lake, and swimming across it.  

We continued our walk.




 

46 comments:

  1. Cute goose chatter. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, cute captions and story. The geese are not too proud to beg for food.
    Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, they certainly aren’t :) have a happy weekend also.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful conversation you had with the goose...lol
    I hope that little girl didn't lose her food to a snack grabbing goose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently or so my mother used to tell me, I have had great conversations with animals and birds since the day I could talk, lol! Thank you Ann :)

      Delete
  4. Sweet and adorable all the same time!! Denise, L❤️VE the looks from the goose all the way down the post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anni, yes that was quite a look :)

      Delete
  5. The Canada goose is one bird we see often at our local reservoir. We observe them from afar. On rainy days the waterbirds are happy as they swim around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a very handsome goose indeed! And quite the conversation all this too! My favorite pictures are the stair down he does look like he is giving you a stair saying I can’t believe you don’t have any food. He also looks very intelligent and he looks friendly unlike some geez that or not. Great set of pictures and I enjoyed the goosy Lucy conversation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is Sandra :) Yes, very chatty, lol! Happy you enjoyed!

      Delete
  7. Well, this was an entertaining tidbit. Beautiful bird, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi, and thank you, very much appreciated :)

      Delete
  8. Fun post and great photos. It was really making quite a 'V-line' to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen and that was quite an entrance he made. I remember at the time watching him make his way across the lake, staring at us the whole time it looked like :)

      Delete
  9. This was a fun exchange, Denise, even if it was a one-sided affair as far as the words went.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving all the photos! Look how beautiful his feathers are!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, thank you Donna and his feathers are beautiful! :) Hugs from me also.

      Delete
  11. a fun conversation with a canadian goose, i think you chose his words wisely! i bring duck food/corn from the store, but some people get really upset when they see you feeding even that to them saying they should forge for their own food!! ya can't win!! have an awesome sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Debbie, we can't win at times, though the duck food and corn sound like a wonderful feast. You have an awesome Sunday too.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed your chat with the handsome goose.
    Fun post, Denise!

    Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Veronica Lee, so happy you enjoyed it :) Hugs and blessings to you also :)

      Delete
  13. Very cute. The detail on your close-up pictures was incredible and your story telling was right on point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment Jim and Barb :) Much appreciated!

      Delete
  14. Adorable post! I love that look he gave you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda and thank you! These moments in nature are a true gift :)

      Delete
  15. Lovely to read your captions and such great photographs.

    Happy weekend wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I am happy you enjoy them. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  16. I always enjoy your animal cartoons. You are so clever. He's a majestic goose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoy my cartoons Diane, kind of you to say so. Always happy to bring a smile :) A good description for him too.

      Delete
  17. What beautiful photos, Denise. We saw a lot of Canada geese in Illinois but none in Hawaii. However, I understand the Nene geese are a descendant of the Canada geese. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, how interesting about the nene. I didn’t know that but remembering them from when I was in HI, there is a similar look about them isn’t there?

      ReplyDelete

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!