Monday, March 27, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CABBAGE AND GINGER SOUP

Hello Everyone, I am still in the recovery mode after having had a nasty bug, so have turned my comments off until I can return your visits.  I will catch up with you as soon as I can, but it will probably be a few more days.  Fortunately I had more posts already set up like this one.


Today's recipe was found at Eating Well, and I would like to thank its author, Carolyn Casner, for a very appetizing and comforting soup.  You can see the original at this link, with all tips provided.  I made it two weeks ago.


Comforting Cabbage Soup with Ginger 

6 servings and 1-1/3 cup serving size contains 118 calories.


The author states, “Cabbage turns tender and flavorful in this comforting soup. The aromatic broth is full of spices, including ginger and turmeric, making it perfect for enjoying on a cold day or keeping you hydrated if you're sick.”

For those who are taking note of such things, Carolyn also included the following.

Nutrition Profile: Dairy-Free, Egg Free, Gluten-Free, Low Carbohydrate, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan, Vegetarian.


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup chopped onion

2 medium carrots, halved and sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced.

1 cup chopped onion

2 medium carrots, halved and sliced

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

½ teaspoon ground turmeric

½ teaspoon crushed red pepper

4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, or 2 cups chopped fresh

¾ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground pepper

5 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage

1 medium zucchini, diced

Chopped parsley for garnish, optional


Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. 

Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. 

Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and crushed red pepper. 

Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Add broth, tomatoes and their juices, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. 

Stir in cabbage and zucchini; return to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. 

Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. 

(Optional): Serve sprinkled with parsley.

What did we think?  

On a cold, chilly night, it was perfect.  

A slice of crusty bread would be lovely to serve up with this soup, or a favorite roll.  

I would make the soup any time but it would be very wholesome, comforting and nourishing if you had anyone feeling under the weather.  It sounds like it has similar benefits as good old-fashioned chicken soup, but without the protein. (Added note 3/25/23: little did we know Gregg and I would welcome this so soon.)

Instead of zucchini, frozen peas would make a nice substitute.  You can swap with your favorite veggies.

I could have probably chopped the parsley up a little finer but I like the taste of it so no problem, just for aesthetics sake I suppose.

We wanted a meatless meal but adding chicken would make a nice addition.

There is a lot of prep work because I doubled everything up so that I could freeze a few meals for an easy cooking day.  I started early in the morning, sitting at the kitchen table with a cutting board and utensils needed, preparing all ingredients, putting certain ones in the same dish, if they were going to be cooked together.  Then I set them in order I was going to need them next to the stovetop for when I was ready to pop everything into the pot.  Makes the process a lot easier.  (I am adding this information for people who may be starting out.  It took me a while to learn this and be more organized.)

It was a little hot/spicy which we enjoy but for those who don’t, you could lessen the amount of crushed red pepper, or even leave out.  It would taste great either way just seasoned with salt and pepper.  You can also add a favorite herb.

I have only used turmeric in one other recipe, in a beverage which you can find here.  I remember it being very refreshing, but it's been a while and I am glad for this reminder.

https://anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com/2016/01/short-break-from-holiday-photos-good.html

Turmeric has many benefits and I will be finding more uses for it.  I have added a link here from John Hopkins that gives lots of info about this spice.

Ginger is very good for you also   There is an article at this link with great information.  I like it for the flavor and use ginger a lot in Asian cuisine.  

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7561449/health-benefits-of-turmeric-ginger/

At this link, also from John Hopkins, there is more great information, and I found a recipe for Ginger tea.  Among other maladies, it is ideal if you feel a bit nauseous, but is also a comfort on a chilly night. It says, “You can add a little lemon or lime, and a small amount of honey to make a great beverage.”

How to make Ginger Tea:

Buy a piece of fresh ginger.

Trim off the tough knots and dry ends.

Carefully peel it.

Cut it into thin, crosswise slices.

Put a few of the slices in a cup or mug.

Pour in boiling water and cover.  Let steep for at least 10 minutes.  As stated in their instructions, "the longer the better."

It is also noted that "ginger tea is a healthier alternative to ginger ale, ginger beer and other commercial canned or bottled ginger beverages.  The author also notes that these drinks provide benefits but many contain a lot of sugar, and recommends limiting these to occasional treats, or choose sugar-free options.

I am trying to remember to add the original website address in full, in case you would rather copy and paste than go to the link I provided.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7919448/comforting-cabbage-soup-with-ginger/