Monday, March 6, 2023

LAST SATURDAY WE WENT OUT FOR A WALK - PART 1

 the first one in a while.  It was gloriously sunny at Green Spring Gardens, but windy and very chilly.  We cut our walk down by half.  However, it was a good start, and enjoyable seeing what was blooming in the garden.  


The flowers were putting on a good show in front of the old house.


Good to see the Daffodils, along with the Wild pansy.  


The pansy's botanical name is Viola tricolor but is also known as Johnny jump up, Jack-jump-up-and-kiss-me, Heartsease, Come-and-cuddle me, Love-in-idleness, Tickle-my fancy, Pansies and Three faces in a hood.   Have to say, all these names made me smile.  Its flowers are edible and can be consumed in salads, drinks or used as a garnish, though they are best eaten only in small amounts.  Important to note that for consumption, they should only be eaten if organically grown with no pesticides.

These next photos are of the Lenten Rose.

Its botanical name Helleborus orientalis.  Also known as the Christmas Rose and Helleborus.

It belongs to the buttercup family, a perennial and can be grown in the shade but preferably needs three hours of light a day. 

It has been cultivated in Germany since the mid 1800s, with varieties created in the United Kingdom shortly after.  

Between the 1920s and 1960s there was little interest in its cultivation until Helen Ballard bred new varieties.  

They bloom early in the year, hence they get their name, "Lenten rose".


Next is the Japanese apricot.  I noticed its pretty bloom growing out of the tree trunk.  There were several others on the branches.  Its botanical name is Prunus mume.  Also known as Chinese plum, Mume, Plum blossom and Flowering apricot. 


A deciduous tree which can grow from 13 to 33 feet tall, and its blooms have a strong, fragrant scent.  You will see it flowering in late winter and early spring.  They have a long life and can live up to 100 years old, but still much shorter than some trees.  There are over 400 species in the Japanese apricot family, from plum trees and almonds to pin cherry shrubs.  



“Flowers are a proud assertion that a ray of beauty out values all the utilities in the world.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson~












40 comments:

  1. The flowers and light are beautiful. Of course. It is the spring light on red brick that takes me back to my east coast childhood. Thank you, D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you revisited your east coast childhood for a little while, and you are very welcome my friend :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree, they were totally gorgeous, a sight that I was happy to see :) Thank you Christine!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to see signs of spring in my neighborhood, as well. Even though our winter was not bad, I am just so ready for something besides grey and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more Latane, it's good to see signs of spring again :) Our winter was not so bad either, we hardly had any snow compared to some folks across the country. The photos I have seen, haven't seen snow like that before.

      Delete
  4. So many pretty flowers..esp love the japanese apricot growing right out of the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the flowers Hena, and seeing that pretty pink bloom growing right out of the tree trunk, drew me to it immediately :)

      Delete
  5. Wow...something I've never seen before ...the apricot blossom. What a sight to behold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many pretty flowers. I can't wait to start seeing them pop up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ann, can't wait to see your photos :)

      Delete
  7. All of these are new to me I’ve never seen before and not even heard the names except for the daffodils and then the deep South we call them Jonquils. Your photos are just beautiful and I love that Christmas Rose is absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, happy you enjoyed these flowers. I expect you saw some incredible ones growing up in the deep south :)

      Delete
  8. What a fun and invigorating post! I love all the flowers!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed Donna, thank you and I send my hugs :)

      Delete
  9. Wspaniały spacer. Kocham wiosnę bo to pora nadziei:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję, piękny sposób na opisanie wiosny. Wszyscy potrzebujemy nadziei :)

      Delete
  10. Such pretty flowers!! We will not see anything like those until April if we are lucky!! Winter has returned here in NEPA...4 inches of snow this morning and more predicted on Saturday!!! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, more snow? I enjoyed my visit very much Debbie, thank you :) Lovely to see all your Saint Patrick's Day decorations. Stay warm!

      Delete
  11. Your weather is so far ahead of ours, Denise. Fills me with joy to see those blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very hot day that confused the flowers. It seemed as though they bloomed early this year :) Now we are back to colder days. So happy you enjoyed seeing these flowers Jeanie :) You stay warm too!

      Delete
  12. Those flowers are putting on a good show and so delightful to see as our ground is still covered with some frozen white stuff. Glad you could get out for a half walk! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly were :) I am looking forward to our next visit. I hope you see your spring soon!

      Delete
  13. ... and I certainly enjoyed my walk with you.
    Beautiful photographs, a delight to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Jan and thank you. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, what pretty flowers. I really enjoyed my walk with, esp since I did not have to walk..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual walking is a good thing :) Thanks Pam, glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  15. gorgeous images of the beautiful flowers. our daffodils are up about 3/4 of the way, maybe 2 weeks from blooming. i can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet you can't wait to see your daffodils blooming :) Thanks Debbie, glad you enjoyed the flowers :)

      Delete
  16. The Spring season has just begun here in the north of England. I've enjoyed your walk in Green Spring Gardens where you saw some beautiful hellebores, pretty violas, daffodils and blossom. Do have a great week Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and I am glad that you are experiencing the first signs of Spring. You enjoy the rest of your week and the upcoming weekend Linda :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!