Monday, March 20, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BAKED RANCH CHICKEN THIGHS

March 1st (2023) was when we had this meal. We would have been very happy with just salt and pepper for seasoning, but the Ranch Style Dressing added a nice flavor.  It was given a thumbs up and pronounced another yummy meal.  You can see the original recipe at Sweet C's (click on this link) and my thanks to its host Courtenay. Also. she has great tips, lovely photos to look at, and of course other delicious recipes to try.

Courteney advised not to overcook. "Chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees."

She also said that "depending on your ranch dressing packet, it can sometimes be thick when mixing, and/or clump up. If too thick simply add a teaspoon of water at a time to loosen mixture, until it is easy enough to spread over chicken."



Baked Ranch Chicken Thighs 

Servings: 6

Calories per serving (1 chicken thigh): 340

Cooking time: 45 minutes


Baked Ranch Chicken Thighs are a super simple one pot baked chicken thigh recipe everyone loves - bursting with ranch flavor in only five ingredients! Low carb, mess free, a deliciously crunchy crust, is a huge family favorite that is sure to make anyone a fan of chicken thighs in under 40 minutes!


6 chicken thighs, bone-in, with skin on

black pepper, to taste

1 1 oz. packet dry ranch salad dressing mix

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon lemon juice, to thin mixture if needed

1 clove garlic, pressed


Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Cover a baking sheet in foil, nonstick side up.

Place the chicken thighs on the baking sheet, fattest side up.

Generously season with salt and pepper.

Bake chicken for 25 minutes ( skin will have started to crisp).

In a small bowl, combine the dressing mix with the olive oil and minced garlic and blend. If needed, add lemon juice to thin mixture.

Brush the ranch and oil mixture over the chicken thighs.

Continue to cook chicken in oven until crispy and golden brown, and internal temperature reads 165 degrees.

To check the temperature, use an instant-read food thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a few of the largest chicken thighs, not touching bone.

To get a tiny bit more crunch, broil for 5 minutes - watching chicken closely so it doesn't burn.



What did we change?    

Our ranch dressing mix seemed extra thick, so we added a couple of tablespoons of water and all of the lemon juice until we got the right consistency.

There is a video where Courteney goes through all the steps on her website.

Also, we had bought skinless, boneless chicken thighs, so it didn't crisp up as much as in Courteney's photos.

Our side dishes were brown rice, baby steamed Brussel sprouts, and grape tomatoes.  We sautéed the tomatoes in a pan for a few minutes, later drizzling with Balsamic vinegar.

The following is for the original recipe address written in full, in case you would rather copy and paste.  I don’t always remember to do this, but when I do I will add.  

https://sweetcsdesigns.com/baked-ranch-chicken-thighs/




32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, it was a very comforting meal :)

      Delete
  2. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and so good to see you posting again :)

      Delete
  3. I love recipes with minimum ingredients. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bone in skin on thighs are the best! This looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! I hope to get the chicken with bones and skin next time I go to the store :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing! Take care, enjoy your day! Have a wonderful new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, you are very welcome, and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. I live on rice, brown, yellow, white and rice pastas.. love all of them, chicken and rice is great food for people with IBS. I would use salt/pepper only

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this dish would suit your dietary needs Sandra and a lot of times I will just use salt and pepper for seasoning :)

      Delete
  7. As I started to read I was thinking how I always buy boneless skinless thighs and I wondered if this recipe would work on them -- and then you told me that's what you used. Honestly, just as if we were sitting in your kitchen talking about recipes -- you answered my question!! Thanks. (I wish I had a cup of tea to go along with our 'conversation' though!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, I mostly always buy skinless thighs without the bones, and just follow the directions the same way. So glad I answered your question and I wish we were sitting in the kitchen chatting one on one, but so glad we can do this. Hope all goes well down there.

      Delete
  8. Yum. Looks delicious. I love chicken no matter how it's cooked but I'm also a fan of ranch flavored things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann :) I never ate chicken growing up as my father didn't like it and of course mum catered to his food tastes. The only poultry we ever ate was turkey at Christmas. We never knew we were missing anything but when I got married I guess I caught up, lol! This is the first time I used a ranch seasoning and I enjoyed it a lot.

      Delete
  9. Again, I do not like the flavor of ranch, so to season for me only salt & pepper. A good hearty "stick to your ribs" meal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni, salt and pepper is the way I go most of the time. You described this meal perfectly :)

      Delete
  10. It's always nice to have a different way to cook up chicken thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe, and for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, thank you and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  12. I'm always looking for a good way to change up chicken thighs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie and you are very welcome. It is nice to try something different :)

      Delete
  13. Nice looking home cooked meal....yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, happy you liked the look of it :)

      Delete
  14. Ooooo, I'm going to have to try this. Looks so good. Ranch makes everything taste better for sure. ; ) I like the brown rice and brussel sprouts on the side.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sheri, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :) Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!