Monday, March 13, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - THAI PEANUT RAMEN NOODLE SOUP

This is one of those recipes I don't remember where I got it originally.  It has been stored away in my folders for a long time and we finally made it on Thursday, February 9th, 2023. We enjoy Thai food very much and we were long overdue since the last time we made this type of recipe.  

The one thing I shouldn't have done, was bite down on the Thai Chili Pepper (at times I really should ignore my curiosity).  I have eaten Jalapenos without a problem and enjoyed them, but this smaller pepper was new to me and the hottest I have ever had.  I don't mind a little heat but found myself reaching for anything that would cool my mouth down.  So, my advice is enjoy the peppers but if you are not used to eating them, take them out before you serve up.  The soup itself is not too spicy hot and delicious!


Spicy Thai Ramen Noodle Soup


2 teaspoon avocado oil or olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated

1 cup grated carrot

1 or 2 teaspoon green curry paste

4 cups vegetable broth

1 can (13 oz to 14 oz) full fat coconut milk

½ cup creamy peanut butter, brought to room temperature

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons Agave syrup - *see note on Agave below recipe

Juice of 2 limes 

plus

1 extra sectioned lime (for squeezing juice over finished soup at the table.)

1 packet Udon noodles

Shrimp (optional) already cooked - **see note below.  Use as many as each of you think you would eat

Sliced white onions, sautéed earlier for a few minutes in a frying pan.

Tofu would be a nice addition also.

Any favorite protein can be added.


We chose the following to put on the top of our soup:

Gregg sautéed the shrimp in a frying pan for a few minutes, only long enough to heat through, along with a few sliced onions.

Thai basil (we bought ours at a local Asian Supermarket not too far from us. We have a hard time getting Thai basil at our local supermarket.  If I couldn’t find Thai basil, I would be happy to substitute cilantro which we have often done).

Chopped Peanuts

Green onions, thinly sliced

Grated carrots

Lime sections

Or

Your own favorite toppings


On medium high heat add the avocado oil until hot.

Add prepared garlic and ginger, sauté for 1 or 2 minutes, reducing heat so as not to let the garlic burn.

Add curry paste mixing into the garlic and ginger, also the Thai chili, and sauté for another minute.

Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk.  Stir to combine thoroughly.  Reduce heat to a simmer.

Stir in peanut butter until thoroughly combined.  A whisk helps.  

Stir in the soy sauce, agave and lime juice.

Simmer on low for 5 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasonings; more soy if needed, more agave if needed, more lime juice if needed (we didn’t feel the need to add extras but everyone’s taste is different).

For the last few minutes of cooking add the grated carrots.

Before serving, add the noodles (we used Udon that we cooked to package directions just before putting into the soup.  This was done in a separate pot but you can add yours to the broth and just follow what the directions say on your noodle package.

Also add the cooked shrimp to heat through.  Won’t take long.

Serve immediately.  

I put small dishes on the table, one with sautéed sliced onions, another with the sliced green onions, chopped peanuts and sectioned limes.  I thought the lime added a lot to this soup, both in the cooking process and for squeezing the sections onto the soup at the table.

I gave our meal a 10 out of 10 and Gregg a 9 out of 10, which is still excellent.  However, he thought it was a bit bland, I did not because there are times when I prefer it this way, and I am not saying I found it entirely bland.  

* There is an interesting article on Agave Syrup at this link.  It gives substitutions, one which is Maple Syrup and we have used that before when we didn't have Agave.

** Adding shrimp. You don’t need to add any as it is delicious without.  However, Gregg picked up a small tray already cooked from the refrigerated counter at the supermarket (the kind you eat cold as an appetizer).  We have bought them often, used as many as we thought we could eat in our meal. Later that day we eat the rest using the small container of cocktail sauce for dipping, which is always included.  

You can also of course buy raw shrimp, peel and devein them, and sauté a few minutes until cooked through.  For those who are starting out and have never cooked them before, you can see how at this link.  

At the table I added lots of extra lime juice to my meal.  

Gregg thought he would like to add oyster sauce in the cooking process.  I thought it was fine without.  Gregg is more adventurous than I am, which is great because thanks to him I have had many adventures over the years, not only in travel but in the kitchen.


This is all a bit wordy but I add all these notes for my own benefit for next time.  Hopefully you will find them useful if you decide you would like to try the recipe.  If you have any questions let me know in the comment section.






22 comments:

  1. I've never had Thai food. It does look yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in an area where there are many Thai restaurants, but we have only started making these dishes in the last couple of years. Surprised us that we could replicate the flavors we have enjoyed in Thai cooking :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting and unusual. And I guess you could also add chicken as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would, I think, be too spicy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, even with the pepper taken out you could feel the heat. And as I am a glutton for punishment (joking of course), I added a few dashes of siracha just for good measure. I like this hot sauce and think it brings out the flavor of everything it touches, so the finished product wasn't as bland as I mentioned above :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, this was a detailed recipe post, but I always appreciate the information you provide, Denise. We enjoy seafood, but I hardly ever make a soup that includes any, so now you have given me some motivation😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Beatrice, thank you :) The shrimp are very good in this soup but is also very good without.

      Delete
  5. Yes... tofu would be a good addition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Anni, in fact I am going to use it for next time :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds great! I love Thai cuisine, and have made a few Thai dishes at home, too. But, generally, we prefer to dine at the Thai restaurant nearby, as it is inexpensive and more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Gigi :) We have similar Thai restaurants around here and they are all very good.

      Delete
  7. i appreciate this "wordy" post. i am sure it took a long time to put together and the details you provided are very helpful. i don't like spicy so i would definitely leave out the pepper! and the shrimp looks really nice on top!!

    this whole dish looks and sounds delicious. it's nice that you and greg prepare your food together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you don't mind it being wordy Debbie :) Thanks so much! When Gregg retired he started helping with chopping the veggies after his request for a favorite Thai dish. I asked for help as there was a lot of preparation in that meal and my fingers don't work as well now with all the chopping of veggies. We had a lot of fun doing it, he started helping out all the time and discovered how much he enjoyed it. Then he got involved in the cooking process and it's been like that ever since :)

      Delete
  8. The recipe looks great! I've never made anything from Thai recipes, only Indian, Brazilian, Mediterranean and Mexican. But, I like to try several. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raquel, thanks so much :) You have made a lot of other cultural dishes. That sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  9. It does look good, many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, you are very welcome :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  10. Looks great. We make something quite similar and always enjoy it. Like you we use hot peppers quite frequently but one does have to be sensible. Washing your hands right after chopping them is critical. The best remedy I have found if you bite down on a hot pepper is to chew bread and the heat seams to get absorbed and you can either eat the bread or discreetly spit it out! Our favourites by the way are tiny peppers called bird chilis - they may be small but they pack a punch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great tips David, thank you! I have heard of bird chilis but never had them :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!