Friday, February 24, 2023

HOME INDEED - A POEM

Draw up a chair and light a light
And find a book to read.
The heavens are dark and wild the night
And home is home indeed.
The louder seems the winter's ire
Tonight, the brighter seems the fire,
For when the wintry storms begin
The more the comfort here within.
The wind is at the windowpane,
The wind is at the door.
It shakes the house and shakes in vain,
For loud the chimney's roar.
And higher leaps the crimson blaze
In winter than in summer days.
The more the weather is unkind,
A greater joy within we find.
The fields in springtime call us forth,
Their rosy paths to roam,
But when the wind is in the north,
We pluck the rose at home.
Perhaps God sends the wintry hours
To show that there are other flowers,
For when a roof and fire you need,
Ah, then a home is home indeed.

Home Indeed
by 



Douglas Malloch (May 5, 1877 – July 2, 1938) was an American poet, short-story writer and Associate Editor of American Lumberman, a trade paper in Chicago. He was known as a "Lumberman's poet" both locally and nationally. He is noted for writing Round River Drive and "Be the Best of Whatever You Are" in addition to many other creations. He was commissioned to write new lyrics for the Michigan State Song, Michigan, My Michigan in 1902.

Michigan was well known for its lumber in the early days.  Interesting article on that history here.



(all photos were found at pixabay.com)


36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought that too when I first read it, thanks Christine :)

      Delete
  2. What a nice poem. I would love to sit in front of that fireplace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ann, doesn't it look wonderfully inviting?

      Delete
  3. Home is comfort!! I like these words...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful poem! that kitty is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kitty is so endearing :) glad you enjoyed the poem also Angie.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful poem and a cute kitty image. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So inviting on a cold and rainy day!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww … how warmly he describes home. What an exquisite writer. So glad you brought him into the light with this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a lovely way with words. So glad you liked his poem Penelope :)

      Delete
  8. This poem rings a bell but I can't remember where I saw it.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me Red, and I would be interested if you remember where you heard it before :)

      Delete
  9. ooooh i really enjoyed this, what a beautiful poem about the place we love most, home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Debbie and it certainly is a beautiful poem :) yes, home is definitely the place we love most, as he must have done :)

      Delete
  10. Perfect illustrations for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Denise :=) I did enjoy reading this poem, it's beautifully written and resonated with me because I have a log fire at home, and it's been lit during this cold snap we are having just now, and I have been curled up on my couch covered by a duvet. There is nothing like home comforts, especially when there is an icy cold wind outside. Thank you for the introduction to the poet Douglas Malloch.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very, very welcome :) I envy you your log fire. You paint an idyllic picture!

      Delete
  12. Love this poem, Denise, and how you chose to illustrate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Ellen :) and much appreciate your kind words. Thank you!

      Delete
  13. Sounds a cosy poem for winter. WE are feeling the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winter is your summer? But then maybe you get nice weather all year round Diane? When I feel chilled to the bone - can't say that lately as the weather has been lovely - I feel like moving to warmer climes, but then I love the crunch of leaves underfoot in the Fall, and walks on chilly nights in the neighborhood where you smell woodsmoke from the chimneys, and those deliciously warming cups of hot chocolate when we get back to the house. Who knows how I will feel in a few years :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful poem, Denise.
    That fireplace looks wonderfully inviting.

    Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee! It does, doesn't it? Hugs and blessings to you too :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful beautiful poem! I love it! And your photos are also absolutely gorgeous and fit with the poem perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra :) thank you, happy you enjoyed. Hope you continue to feel much better.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!