Thursday, February 9, 2023

PHOTOS THAT WERE TURNED INTO A PAINTING IN A PREVIOUS POST

In my artsy post - you can click here if you missed it - I started off with a statue found at The Elizabethan Gardens in Manteo, North Carolina.  If you are in the area and love walking around gardens, it is well worth a visit.  This is one that shows Elizabeth I.

Here is another I took that day.  You can see more at this link.  It will take you to other photos I posted at the garden.  

Next is a scene found outside the Penguin House at Sea World in San Diego 2010.  

The flags were in San Francisco (2017), near Pier 39.  We were visiting family at the time on one of our road trips.

A black swan, not the exact photo as in the artsy one but same place and close enough.  They were found in St. James Park, London in 2015.

This is the Greater masterwort.  I was in California on our last trip in 2017.  It is also known as Mountain sanicle and Tall sanicle, botanical name Astrantia major.  Description reads: Like pins on a pincushion, greater masterwort features unique clusters of small white flowers encased with a larger flowerhead.  A perennial, it is easy to grow, resistant to deer and pretty much pest-free.  It mixes well with large ornamental grasses and as a perennial border.  The heads of greater masterwort flowers remain intact even after they dry out.  They will fade in color until they reach a crispy rust-brown.  Gardeners often leave them in place since they continue to add visual appeal to the garden.  You can also use them in dried flower arrangements.

Next, a painting I found in the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, a few years ago, so am not sure if this particular piece is still there.  She is Madame Le Fevre de Caumartin as Hebe - oil on canvas, 1753 - Jean Marc Nattier - French, 1685-1766.

I was at the Philadelphia Flower Show in 2013.  They would make a cute addition if I had a big enough garden.  I do love animal garden art.
I took another photo of the same sheep.




Next, a statue found on the grounds of the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, VA.  His name was Caesar.  The plaque underneath him reads: 

"This statue honors all military dogs who have provided loyal service and selfless devotion, often making the ultimate sacrifice while protecting Marines in the line of duty.  They remain ever faithful to the Corps and proudly bear the title of United States Marine."









30 comments:

  1. I have never seen this Masterwort, it must be scarce! I would love some, it is gorgeous! The sheep is beautiful, and so lifelike! And my next favorite is the flags with the intense blue sky as background. It is such a happy shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I found it in California Ginny. Sorry about that but I have added that fact now :) Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. They are all wonderful to see Denise, I particularly like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, yes the military dog was special :)

      Delete
  3. Love all the photos. I think my favorite might be the statue of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ann, thank you :) I purchased some military dog stamps not so long ago, but USPS doesn't appear to be selling them any more.

      Delete
  4. The first sculpture looks like a queen from Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you would think that Roentare :)

      Delete
  5. Love the unique flower!! But, coming from a USMC family, I am totally partial to the canine Marine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, and how wonderful you are a USMC family. Semper Fi :)

      Delete
  6. Love the "Madame" painting and of course, Caesar.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flower! I love the sheep sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Angie and it is always fun to see what favorites blogging friends have :)

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    I love the animal sculptures and statues. The sheep is so cute. Beautiful flower! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  9. that masterwort is a masterpiece in life and in your photo. love the details of that first statue. truly talented artist to create all that. every photo is exquisite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artist is very talented I agree, and I must look up more of his work. Thank you Sandra, so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  10. That first statue is something else. A black swan would demand my attention. Lovely visits you've had with great photos to document...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, we have enjoyed our adventures with all the things we have seen over the years :)

      Delete
  11. My favorite is the military dog. The role they have played over history is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim and Barb, I agree. I bought some stamps a while ago from USPS, of miliary dogs. Unfortunately I don't think they are selling them any more but maybe they will bring them back. I'll keep checking :)

      Delete
  12. The dog sculpture reminds me of the animals at war monument here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take some of those photos William, I would love to see them :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Que bom ver você :) Obrigado e desejo um feliz dia e também uma boa semana.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!