Saturday, February 11, 2023

SATURDAY MORNING AT THE BIRD FEEDER - BLUE JAY SINGS

A little addition to my post today.  Gregg and I went out this morning, and on our way home we went through the drive-thru of my favorite coffee shop.  I usually drink black coffee at home in the morning, but for a treat when out and about, I will order a vanilla no foam latte.  I try to keep these down to a minimum.  If I have them too often it's not such a treat.  
When we stopped at a traffic light, we saw an interesting sight.  A young man was waiting to cross the street on this contraption, and as he was waiting, he was texting.  Well, at least he wasn't texting and driving.
At one point I saw his phone in one hand and a can of soda in the other. He was using the sidewalk and though I hoped other pedestrians would be able to steer clear, at least he wasn't on the road with all that traffic.  I wonder what the rules of the road are about these things?  Gregg didn't think they would have to get a license, that it would be like riding a bike and you'd just have to use your common sense.  Hmmm.....
I was interested in looking further as I had never seen anything like this before.  I went on Amazon and found it here.  As you can see it is not cheap at $2,399, with the option of paying in instalments.  


The strange thing is, this afternoon we had a phone call from our son who was walking in his neighborhood.  We told him about our unicycle sighting, and I sent him my photos.  

He told me he had seen them before because people were riding them where he lived, and then a good grief moment and a few seconds of silence.  I said what, what's the matter?  He replied that there was someone at the intersection waiting for the light to change, and immediately sent photos.  

I noticed that this young man was wearing a helmet, with nothing in his hands.  It also looked a little different, and was more colorful, perhaps reflective stickers?
And then I thought how on earth do you balance on one of those things?  I have a hard time on two wheels let alone one.

The last few days have been wonderful, with the temperature reaching 67 deg. F. yesterday, and then down to 58 today.  The next few days will be the same, heading up to 69 one day.  Hopefully we'll be able to get out and go for a ride, plus a nice walk somewhere.

So that was our day.  I hope yours was a great one.
Enjoy your weekend!




36 comments:

  1. So cold on your end. The balancing on one wheel is really a challenge on the vestibular system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to where you live, I'm sure it is :) I agree with you!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a find! I have never seen any of these. And your sleuthing really paid off, now we know just what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky and it was such an interesting coincidence that son saw one within an hour of seeing another :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting doo dad. I'll stick with bikes. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Linda, at this stage of the game I'm sticking with my own two feet. I have a hard enough time walking on those :)

      Delete
  4. I've never seen one either! How is it guided, I wonder! Funny you and your son saw the same thing!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It moves with the center of gravity with your body, you lean forward, left or right, it goes in that direction. I think it is the same idea as the Segway, but I haven't seen one of those in years :) I wonder if this will be a flash in the pan. We'll have to wait and see.

      Delete
  5. That thing is pretty cool. I went to Amazon to read the description and it says it's self balancing. I wonder how you steer it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks cool, moves in the direction you move your body I think. Sounds a bit strange doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  6. I trust my own two feet...not a one wheeler! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Anni, even then I sometimes have difficulty, lol! :)

      Delete
  7. Cute captions, I do love my coffee. I would never be able to balance on one wheel, two can be hard for me. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my coffee in the morning too Eileen. And same here :) Hope your weekend was great, have a super week.

      Delete
  8. That one wheel is pretty cool...but for sure not for me. Have a wonderful weekend, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for me either Angie :) Thank you, I hope you had a great weekend and wish you a great week too.

      Delete
  9. I'm kind of a klutz and don't think I could ever stay on one of those without falling over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Carol, from one klutz to another, lol, I doubt I could move a couple of feet without falling over :)

      Delete
  10. this is amazing, all of it, the fact you saw one and your son did at the same time. we watched several videos on the link you provided and wow do they look dangerous. to stop you have to just put your foot down and drag it, one girl went through two stop signs, scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching that movie gave me the Heebie-jeebies, it looked very, very dangerous! It was quiet a coincidence that's for sure, that son saw one not too long after he called and I had just sent our photos as we were talking :)

      Delete
  11. Interesting unicycle and price. I haven't seen one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen them before either Red, and I wonder if I will see any more. Depends on how fast they catch on and who can afford them I suppose :)

      Delete
  12. Very interesting sighting, good to see what is new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those contraptions look dangerous to me but then maybe some of the folks riding them are well coordinated. So far, I haven't spotted anything similar in this area, but sure there are some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Dorothy, well-coordinated or maybe just young with not the safety filter that we have at our stage of life :)

      Delete
  14. I've never seen one of these, an interesting sighting.
    Many thanks too for the additional information.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  15. That must be tricky! I nearly fell over following my snowshoe tracks in the snow today. I cannot imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been on snowshoes Jenn, I can't imagine how I would do in those :)

      Delete
  16. That is my favorite kind of song..
    That is an interesting mode of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good grief indeed. What a funny serendipitous moment. No way Jose could I ride on one of those. Hope your fresh week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I said Ellen and yes, very serendipitous :) I would rather save my money for when I can treat myself to something else I would use outdoors, like a rocking chair on the deck, lol!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!