Tuesday, February 21, 2023

BIRDS

 These photos were taken a while back.  It's not snowing at all here, and we have had a lovely day with a little more warmth and sunshine (60 degrees F.).  I have included a few of our snow birds with a few interesting facts about them.

Cardinals are typically the first bird to visit feeders in the morning and the last to visit in the eveningsNo one knows for sure, but experts believe that it may be related to lower competition with other birds at the feeders during dawn and dusk. Males may also appear more inconspicuous in low light conditions, providing them some security from natural predators.
Tufted Titmice have an alarm call that seems to fade off into the distance, giving the impression that the bird is moving from one place to another. Birdwatchers and predators alike can be fooled into chasing this ghost call while the titmouse stays securely hidden out of sight.
Not only does this bird remember where it hides its food for at least a month after putting it in its hiding place, when breeding season begins, their tiny brains (also other songbirds) enlarge to enable the bird to create more sounds.
The Cardinal has company.


  • Carolina wrens sing year-round and at any point during the daytime, with the exception of the most harsh weather conditions. Males alone sing and have a repertoire of at least 20 different phrase patterns.  Occasionally, Carolina Wrens mimic other species; in Pennsylvania, this trait has caused the bird also to be known as the 'mocking wren'.It was very nice to see that they were all getting along at the birdfeeder.  No one was chasing anyone off...and the Tufted Titmouse was left alone to feed until he flew off.  I have shared the photo below before on this blog, but as it was grouped with the above, I am sharing it again.These are some of my favorite birds that visit us regularly.  I hope it's not snowing in your area.  We haven't had much to speak of in ours.  I am wondering if we will get any at all this winter but definitely early days.





44 comments:

  1. I do like those Northern Cardinals they look a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely visitors you have! Our grass is still green here unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love looking out the back window. Our grass is a bit dormant at the moment, waiting for spring :)

      Delete
  3. Oh mt goodness, just wonderful!! I think my favorites are the first Cardinal with his beak covered in snow. Next is the little Wren all nestled down in the feeder! I adore Wrens! They are not posted often enough by anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Ginny :) I've been lucky with wrens, as they are not frequent visitors.

      Delete
  4. I did not know the tufted titmouse was so tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow in the background really adds to the mood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow makes a great background to see the mood, very true :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful birds, and great photos and information. I bet they sound pretty as well. No snow here just humid heat of tropical summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, happy you enjoyed. They do have a pretty song :) When I feel a little chilled, I reach for a hot cup of tea. That's my humid heat of tropical summer, lol! But have to say I enjoy our four seasons, with summer not being my favorite because of that humidity, lol! I love it for the butterflies and bees and flowers though.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting to see the birds that come to feed in your area as they're so different from the few we see in our garden. Thank you for the notes about each one. Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda :) I have always enjoyed the different birds in other areas. Thank you, a happy day to you also!

      Delete
  8. I have always love cardinals. The splash of red on a cold winter day is always a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, you KNOW I am loving this post. The more birds the merrier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Anni, always makes me happy when you visit. Yes, the more birds the merrier, which is how I feel when I visit your blog :)

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    Knock on wood, we have not used our snow shovel all winter. Beautiful variety of birds at your feeders, the chickadees and wrens are so cute. Great photos. Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Eileen, knock on wood! We had a dusting a couple of months back but it melted almost straight away. Thank you, so glad you enjoyed my bird photos. You take care, enjoy your evening and the rest of the week too :)

      Delete
  11. Cardinals...my favorite! Also in baseball...lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and not growing up with baseball, oh well, lol! Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  12. Fascinating that some brains expand in summer. That's what I need for my short term memory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I feel the same way about birds, thanks Gigi :)

      Delete
  14. Hello Denise, :=)
    Nice touch to the end of your post that cute figure of a wren, but I enjoyed each and every one of the birds at the feeder.The Carolina Wren though is one of my favourites, and I didn't know it mimics other birds, what a cute and clever bird. I love the capture of the Northern Cardinal with snow on it's beak, and I dare say the experts are right about their visiting habits, The tiny Firecrest is always the last to visit my feeders and I have long suspected it is to avoid competition from other birds. Lovely captures of the Chickadee and Titmouse Denise, and many thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sonjia :) and thank you, I am glad you enjoyed my signature wren. I am always on the lookout for pretty illustrations for my signatures. I learn a lot when finding things out when doing my posts, keeps me happy, lol!

      Delete
  15. No snow here, but you already knew that )). I love your feeder birds. I read a really good book called "The Genius of Birds" that really refutes the common thing people say about 'bird brains'. The author explained that much bird behavior is learned, not simply instinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile Sallie, thank you, no snow in Florida, true :))) Thank you also for the name of that book, it sounds really interesting and I bet it's a fascinating read.

      Delete
  16. These are beautiful photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, very clear and sharp.
    No snow here, we are getting some rain off and on which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yogi, and that’s good, no snow but rain. Must make the farmers happy :)

      Delete
  18. The Red Cardinal makes my heart sing. I have yet to see this bird in person. We don't see them here in California, at least where I live. Thank you for the info. about them too. These Red Cardinal photos should be in a magazine. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Sheri, always am real happy to see him. Thank you for the lovely compliment and you are very welcome. I love sharing these little beauties :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!