Monday, February 27, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - PANCAKES FOR ONE

My recipe came from One Dish Kitchen hosted by Joanie.  You can find the original recipe here.  I was curious and as my dear other half was out for the day and it had been a while since I had pancakes, I chose this recipe. I liked it enough to keep in my make-again folder.  The recipe makes way thicker pancakes than I normally like but it was a change of pace.  They are 228 calories for one pancake.  This is only an approximate value, but I added a 1/4 cup extra milk to thin it down, and this should be added to the original count if you are going to do the same.  There was batter left over for two more pancakes, which I cooked and froze for when I felt like them again.  One was more than enough for breakfast.  I always recommend visiting the website to read all the tips and see their photos.  Also, for other recipes which look great.

Pancakes for One

Approximately 228 calories for each pancake


1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ tablespoon sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

1 large egg

¾ cup milk (I used 2% milk but you can use whole milk, skim milk, unsweetened almond milk, or oat milk. I added another ¼ cup milk – 1 cup total – as the batter was thicker than I normally like it.  This is suggested in Joanie’s notes, to thin batter down if needed)

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon salted butter, melted

1 teaspoon salted butter for the pan

 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

In another bowl, beat the egg and then whisk in the milk, vanilla and melted butter.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. If the batter seems too thick, add more of the milk, a little at a time.

Melt the butter in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.

Ladle about ¾ cup of the batter onto the skillet to make a pancake.

Cook until bubbles break the surface of the pancake, and the underside is golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Flip with a spatula and cook about 1 minute more on the second side.

Remove from the pan and place on a plate.

Repeat until all the batter is used up.

Serve with your favorite toppings: butter, syrup, fruit.


The only thing I had at the time was frozen blueberries, which I used as my topping, also a drizzle of maple syrup.

The following is the link to the original recipe.

https://onedishkitchen.com/how-to-make-pancakes-for-one/


Thanks for the visit and enjoy your day!






31 comments:

  1. Very yummy! Perfect for the breakfast now :-) Have a wonderful week ahead, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie :) You have a wonderful week also :)

      Delete
  2. I now eat blueberries everyday. It is so good for losing weight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I haven't had pancakes in a long time. I just use the box mix if I make them though. I'm a lazy cook...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the box mix also Ann, we enjoy their pancakes too :)

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I love pancakes, I do not eat them often. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I don't eat them often either and it's a nice treat. You take care and have a wonderful week also :)

      Delete
  5. Looks divine!! Butter & syrup for me please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I make my pancakes for my IBS. I use the same recipe except I use gluten-free all purpose or gluten-free almond flour all kinds of gluten-free flour. If I want it to be like a crêpe because I’m going to stuff it I add water not milk because I can’t drink milk. And that makes it then if I want it to be a pancake and make it thicker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound good too Sandra :) I have a carton of oat milk in my fridge which I use with my cereal. I am going to try it in this recipe next time I make them.

      Delete
  7. That was a perfect for one meal, Denise. I used frozen blueberries this week as well for scones and muffins.😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, lovely addition to scones and muffins :)

      Delete
  8. I cooked pancakes on Shrove Tuesday as is the custom in the UK on this day before Lent begins. They were thin ones with caster sugar sprinkled on each one and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice added on top. Your recipe would be a delicious alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mother making them for us. The only time we ever had pancakes when I was growing up was on Shrove Tuesday. So yummy with sugar and lemon juice! I am going to try that next time. You have reawakened that memory and it is a delicious topping. When I do them for hubby they are almost as thin as a crepe - the way my mother made them - and he always asks for them that way now. I didn't know any other way back then, and these thick, fluffy pancakes were definitely a new thing to try when I was first married. They are very yummy too :)

      Delete
  9. Hello! That looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, thank you, glad you enjoyed the sound of this recipe. You have a cozy day also :)

      Delete
  10. It's good to have a pancake recipe that makes less pancakes and sometimes just one is perfect! Happy Monday to you or maybe I should say happy Tuesday and last day of February since it's almost 9pm on the West coast while I type.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always keep some frozen blueberries in the freezer, they are so handy especially for pancakes!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, My frozen blueberries are gone and now I have opened up a packet of frozen strawberries :) yes, they are very handy indeed.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!