Wednesday, February 15, 2023

A VISITOR...

A surprise visitor as though I have seen them flying from one neighbor's yard to another occasionally, one hasn't settled on the deck rail for a while.  I was walking by the patio door from family room to kitchen, to put the kettle on for a cup of tea, when I was aware that my peripheral vision had seen a larger shape than usual. I quietly took two steps back and there it was, head turned away, thankfully.  It gave me time to grab my camera (kept on a table right by the door for such occasions) and was able to snap a few photos.  I was spotted and with wings spread it flew to the next garden, through the trees and out of sight.I checked with my Google ID and two birds came up, a Cooper's Hawk and a Sharp-shinned Hawk, they are very similar.  You can click here to read an article about that.  A little while later I had a quick chat with Gregg's sister after sending her the first photo.  She takes amazing shots of birds in her area, and we are very happy when she shares them with us.  After checking her Merlin app she thought it was a Sharp-shinned Hawk.  I am not an expert and am always grateful for help with ID's.  I really do need to download the Merlin app.  

A thought came that it was a good job we were late replenishing the birdseed.  I know these birds of prey have to survive and this one looked like it was on the hunt.  However, I was happy it was all quiet out there.  I kept watch outside after he had left and when I saw birds and squirrels in the trees again, the birdseed was put out, the smaller birds arrived and all was quiet and safe, at least until the next visit.  Another thought came, I prefer nature's gifts far better than diamonds around my neck, true!  Also...

"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift."

~Albert Einstein~


Have a great day everyone and thanks for stopping by.




34 comments:

  1. I have never known these two types of hawks either. So elegant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, he's spectacular. What a thrill to have him visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Aren't they though :) Thank you Donna and hugs from me.

      Delete
  4. It is a beautiful hawk, great photos. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and mesmerizing :) You take care and have a great day also.

      Delete
  5. he is beautiful, which ever he is and you are smart to keep the camera handy. I need to put mine back on the kitchen table,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed opportunities by experience Sandra, that's why the camera is permanently within hands reach :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hawks are certainly beautiful birds and you were wise to keep a lookout, Denise, to see if this visitor would be returning to capture a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I can always tell when the hawk is around with the lack of birds and squirrels at the feeders :) Once I saw a woodpecker underneath the bottom rail with its head poking out looking up at the sky. He was hiding from a hawk.

      Delete
    2. A sharp shinned hawk will take advantage of the birds at a feeder. Nice shot.

      Delete
    3. That's interesting info, thanks Red :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely sight to see, except for the birds! That said, I've read somewhere about the low success rates for birds of prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, glad you enjoyed. I read a similar article about their success rate.

      Delete
  8. Lucky you! He's tremendously handsome! Between company last week, prepping for a Cork Poppers do, an ear and/or sinus infection, and then this week's mass shooting in our town, I'm so behind blog reading, I'll never catch up! I'll try to take a look at all but not comment and hopefully be back on schedule this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie :) he certainly is. You've had your plate full that's for sure. I hope you are feeling better by now, and now with this latest horror. Don't worry about visiting, your blogging friends certainly understand.

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful visitor. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to see, you are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's a beauty, not my expertise either. i always worry about my song birds when they decide to hang around. too many of my small birds have become dinner for these hawks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I worry about mine too and oh dear, that would be sad to see :(

      Delete
  12. That's a great close-up of the Hawk, Denise. I've never heard of this type of Hawk. The ones we see around here are the red-tailed Hawk. This one has a pretty grey coat of feathers........and those eyes!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I'm glad I wasn't running slow on reflexes that day. This beauty was only there for a minute :) Those eyes are really something aren't they?

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!