Thursday, August 12, 2021

I WAS HOPING WE WOULD SEE HIM....

 and we settled down on another vacant bench and waited quietly.The waterlily pads were plentiful, though the actual waterlilies had closed up for the night.  Still very beautiful!

This was our view. 
There was a splash and we saw a body, a tail and a flip as something slid under the water. 
It was our North American Beaver, which I have mentioned several times before.  (Some of my info may be a repeat.)
Our North American beaver is the largest rodent in North America, and is the second largest in the world behind the South American capybara, though smaller I believe than the Eurasian variety.   You can read about the reintroduction of the North American beaver to Europe here.
The North American beaver is semiaquatic.  The back feet are webbed while the front feet are smaller, clawed and dexterous.  They have membranes that cover their eyes to see while submerged.  It also has the ability to seal its nostrils and ears under the water, and capable of gnawing under water by keeping their lips closed behind their front teeth.
There it goes, disappearing among the lilypads.  We only had a few minutes to enjoy but we will remember to return at the same time.  They are more active later in the day.
There is more information at this website.  

We saw one turtle at the pond (right-hand side of the above photo resting on the raft).  There were also butterflies which I will share next time.  It is always very pleasant here and we go back often.

Thanks for looking and I hope you day is a great one.







32 comments:

  1. You finally saw and posted him! How exciting!!! Good shots too, considering that he was swimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, very happy to see the little guy :)

      Delete
  2. What a pretty place and view you had. So many water lilies which much look a picture when the flowers are open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I'm looking forward to seeing all the water lilies opened :)

      Delete
  3. How amazing. Lucky, lucky you - and thank you for sharing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great spot to sit and wait to see the beaver. I've never seen one in person before except for maybe at a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to find them in our area Ann, just have to wait between sightings. I also need to learn to go at the right time of day when they are more active :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise,
    Pretty photos of the pond and a great sighting of the beaver! Awesome closeups of the beaver, I see the turtle too. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, thank you and you take care and have a great week :)

      Delete
  6. I've only seen them in the care of zoo keepers. I bet it was thrilling when he surfaced!! What a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was Anni and loved watching him for that short time :)

      Delete
  7. Beavers truly are remarkable animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to see that beaver! Thanks for all the great info, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen and you are very welcome, so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  9. Great photos! I have never seen a beaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to share these with you Gigi, and thank you :)

      Delete
  10. the view alone is worth sitting there waiting and the beaver is BETTER. wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great spot, not only to look at the pond but to watch the birds overhead in the branches we sit under :)

      Delete
  11. Glad that your bench sit was rewarded with the beaver views, Denise. That one did look rather large but then the only ones I have ever seen have been in captivity. We have seen river otters on the nashua River, but they are smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy, I would enjoy seeing those river otters :)

      Delete
  12. What a peaceful spot, Denise. Your photos of the beaver are fantastic! I can see why you would return often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, we love it for the reasons you mentioned :)

      Delete
  13. I'm so pleased you saw him and shared your lovely photographs here, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, so glad you enjoyed and thank you too :) All the best!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!