Tuesday, August 10, 2021

BACK TO WALNEY - 7-22-21

We went back to Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, where we always start off at the Visitor Center.  It has a nice area to walk around, and we enjoy seeing the flowers in the front of the house. 

Let's start off with the Common Milkweed.  There were many.  I am always happy to see them as I know how essential they are to the Monarch Butterflies, and others.

Milkweeds are the only plants Monarchs will lay their eggs on.  Unfortunately there weren’t any around today, but a few Cabbage whites were fluttering about.  

The two birds you see on the window are actually decals, to stop birds from getting confused and flying into the mirror image no doubt.

This is Black-eyed susan, a species of Coneflowers (Rudbeckia).  Also known as Yellow ox-eye daisy, English bull's eye, Brown betty, Golden jerusalem and Gloriosa daisy.  It's botanical name is Rudbeckia hirta.  

The description I read said, "the black-eyed susan is a flowering black and yellow plant with curving leaves.  It is culturally important in the Southern United States, and is often used to attract butterflies to gardens.  It long ago spread throughout North America and much of the world.  Black-eyed susan is the state flower of Maryland".

I have shown this before.  It is a circular bed of plants and flowers called the Butterfly Garden.

The plate of stones has been added since the last time we were here.  It says: "This is a puddling stone.  "Puddling" is a behavior common to butterflies.  They often congregate on wet sand or gravel to sip water and they also get salt and minerals needed for survival."  It seemed too late in the day for butterflies, and although it was still light it was in the early evening. 
In the same flower bed, more milkweed...
 but also Garden phlox.  Other names are Fall phlox, Autumn Phlox, Summer phlox, Perennial phlox and Cross-leaved phlox.  Its botanical name is Phlox paniculata.  Garden phlox is native to the United States.  The name phlox comes from the Latin for "flame", reflecting its bright colors.  
It can also become important food sources for not only butterflies, but other insects and hummingbirds.  The sweet aroma of garden flox nectar draws the hummingbird in, allowing the plant to douse the bird in pollen to be carried on to other flowers.  (And I once again thank my plant app "PictureThis", for all the great information it provides.  I take the photo while in the app, and it automatically pops up with all this great information.)
I have a hard time dragging myself away from this area, but the rest of the garden is calling.
The kitchen garden is thriving...
and nearby our bench is waiting.
We have been lucky as it has been vacant the last few times we have been here.  Our timing is specifically for when it is quiet.  We sit and enjoy looking at any birds that may be around, and notice there are grapes growing on the arbor.
The Brown Thrasher was sitting on the top of a roll of chicken wire near the shed next to the kitchen garden.  I was happy as I haven't seen one in a very long time.  It's a clever little bird.  When feeding it can hammer nuts such as acorns in order to remove the shell.  In one case, a bird was observed to dig a hole about 0.59 inch deep, place an acorn in it and hit the acorn until it cracked, considered to be a form of tool usage.
You can read more information about them here.  I was interested to find out that it has great flexibility in catching quick insects, as the amount of vertebrae in its neck exceeds giraffes and camels!  Also, Brown Thrashers have the largest repertoire of songs of the North American birds, and are able to vocalize 3000 distinct songs.
It is the state bird of Georgia, is very territorial and will vigorously defend its nest.  The name "thrasher" does not come from the aggressive nature of the bird, but rather that the name is believed to have come from the thrashing sound it makes when digging through ground debris.  That's one explanation anyway.  The longest known lifespan in the wild is twelve years, but they are susceptible to disease and parasites which can shorten their life considerably.
Maybe it had its eyes on the bees but they were  safely guarded...
and I make sure I don't get too close.  We visited for years when there was no electric fence.  I would love to know the reason why it was erected but, as I have mentioned in other posts, the visitor center has been closed perhaps due to us picking the later time for our arrival.  I make my usual guess that it is to stop animals from raiding the hive.  I remember the Spanish word "peligro".  I learned it while watching episodes of Sesame Street with our son when he was very young. It has been a long time but the word stuck.
It looks like everything is growing well in the kitchen garden.
This is the restored Smoke House used by the family who lived in the old house in the first photo.  
It is time to head down to the pond, which I will tell you about soon.







34 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful outing. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue, so glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. It's lovely and what a good place to sit and listen to the birds.
    Yellow flowers are pretty always brighten the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place. I like the looks of that house. I've always loved black eyed susans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I would enjoy living in a house like this :) Yes, love the black-eyed susans :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely place to visit. I'm with you, on wanting solitude. That bench looks lovely. We've a lot of wild grapes here, and the birds love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, your birds must love being around your home. And I treasure my quiet times :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise,
    What a great place to visit, the flowers are lovely. Great photos of the Brown Thrasher. Beautiful photos! Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) you have a happy day and week also.

      Delete
  6. A lovely walk. Love those bird stickers wish I could find some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, I am looking for those decals also :)

      Delete
  7. the first 8 years of my life my uncle had a smokehouse in our yard. the flowers and house are amazing and wish i had a few in a vase.I would love to have a circular butterfly garden in our yard and the puddling stone is a great idea. if our butterflys ever come back i will create one. we see them fall in the pool looking for water. our butterflies are gone this year, yesterday i saw a zebra long wing for the first time this year and we always had swarms of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting about your uncle’s smoke house Sandra. I am trying to plant a butterfly garden, for pollinators also. I hope your butterflies come back :)

      Delete
  8. I guess you like the plants. You know all the scientific names as well as information about each plant. I wish more people knew scientific names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of help with my friendly app Red :) and I do enjoy learning everything I can about them, including the scientific names.

      Delete
  9. The Black-Eyed Susans are so pretty, and they have always reminded me of Autumn. Thank you for following us. It's nice to meet new friends. Your blog is lovey with wonderful photos. Have a sweet day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, for leaving this comment and following my blog also :) and happy you enjoyed. A sweet day and week to you.

      Delete
  10. A nice outing and you've given us lots of interesting information. Hope you have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, happy you enjoyed and I hope your day is beautiful too :)

      Delete
  11. Hello Denise,
    A wonderful conducted tour around these beautiful gardens with accompanying superp images, delightful.
    Thanks ,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a pleasure! Sincere thanks Denise for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you find it so Cloudia. You are very welcome and thank you :)

      Delete
  13. I so enjoyed visiting with you today, Denise. I always learn something new with your very informative posts. What a lovely spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to know that Martha Ellen :) Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. One of our favorite places William :) Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the tour! When I was there, I didn't tour the grounds but I did explore the visitors center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda and great that you got to see the visitor center :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!