Friday, August 27, 2021

THE FARMER'S MARKET IN MANASSAS

This is about what we did yesterday.  It makes me smile now, with maybe a little eye-roll.  At the time, let's just say I bought some extras that I had not intended to buy.  

We decided to go to the Farmer's Market in Manassas, one where we knew we would get the same delicious vegetables that we had last time.  There were also more stalls, not that we saw a lot of them.  

We had a pleasant ride over, but started out early.  Thankfully all the heavy rush hour traffic was going in the opposite direction, heading into the city (and we came back a different route to avoid all that).  

Last time we parked on the multi-story parking lot just around the corner, but today Gregg saw an opening right next to the market.  It was convenient.  However, backing into the parking space proved to be challenging, and we ended up too far off the curb.  I suggested I get outside to help.  Oh boy!

Therein lies the rub...there was a bandstand nearby with a group of six to seven older gentleman, (okay - not much older than us), and I guess we were the early morning entertainment.  It took a bit of going forward and a bit of going backward and forward, back and forth, back and forth.  I was doing my best telling Gregg how much room he had to maneuver, and then suddenly one of the chaps from the bandstand came over and, with hands on hips, stated that the car was still too far away from the curb.  

And I looked and smiled, then four more helpers started yelling over directions to Gregg, and I got totally flummoxed!  I felt my face getting flushed with embarrassment and I was ready to move on.  What can I say?  I have been away from people way too long, in my own little cocoon of peace and contentment.

Gregg couldn't hear me by this time and when he finally got out of the car after parking, one of the chaps yelled over, "You are still too far from the curb!"  They were all trying to be so helpful, God bless their cotton socks.  Gregg said with a smile and a chuckle, "Close enough!" and added that he was way closer than the truck in front of us and the car behind us.  From the way they had parked, they probably had had the same help as us

Me?  I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough and headed for the market way in front of Gregg.

We bought two corn on the cobs, a couple of large tomatoes, a sweet red pepper, three sweet potatoes, a bigger zucchini and yellow squash than I have ever bought, great looking radishes, a container of Brussels Sprouts, and then....

 my feet started heading for the Good Harvest stall next door, where I bought two delicious looking, and chosen for their small size, loaves of bread and a bag of onion, garlic and cheese hamburger rolls.  

Gregg said "I thought we weren't buying any bread?"  (Just before we left I said "No bread, let's try low carb for a couple of days or so.")  I said, "I know what I said but I am feeling a tad discombobulated!" - this as I looked over towards the bandstand. He laughed and we drove home, with our bread, noticing that we were not offered any help this time.  They had moved on to other things.  But, as we drove out of our spot, there was another car sliding in behind us, as both truck in front, and previous car behind, had already left.  Easy-peasy getting out this time, and not as much entertainment as when we had arrived for some I'm sure.  And I said as we left, "Let's park on the multi-story parking lot next time." At which he replied, "Nah, wouldn't be as much fun!"  I do believe that's when the eye-roll appeared.  

Thankful I don't have to get on those stilts and pick my own hops, talking about challenging, and impressive! Photo courtesy of Sweet Other Half who found this on line and knows I enjoy these old historical photos.

We will be having French Toast for breakfast tomorrow.  We had a totally vegetarian meal last night and will have another tonight, and I shoved all but one of the small loaves of bread in the freezer for whenever, with me saying "Okay, can't possibly get any more in that freezer.  Let's not buy any more okay?" (this directed to me and the mouse in my pocket).  It's not that big of a freezer but it would groan at anything larger than a grape.  

Gregg thinks I am so good at finding spaces in it because I am good at jigsaw puzzles, and I treat our freezer like one.  Maybe!

So, how are you at parallel parking or stuffing your freezer?

Once again I thank you for stopping by, and have a happy and healthy weekend.





48 comments:

  1. Arranging our little freezer is always a challenge, especially for new bread items! Yes, I am like you and would have bought the exact same carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure had an exciting day. The food looks delicious. I wish we had decent markets close by. Its hit and miss for me at parallel parking. Like you I can stack the freezer like a jigsaw puzzle. I hope you get through all that food before it goes off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, as we are always keen in adding lots of veggies in our daily routine, they will be eaten in timely order, as appetizers and snacks and main meals. Another big veggie plate for dinner tonight. I enjoy that we stack our freezers like a jigsaw puzzle :)

      Delete
  3. I am woeful at freezer stuffing (and not good at jigsaws either). Gregg may have a point. Have a wonderful well fed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to tell him that Sue. You have a wonderful weekend also. Very fortunate to be able to buy our produce from local farmers.

      Delete
  4. OMG, that bread sounds delicious.
    Parallel parking? I avoid it like the plague. If I can't just pull into a space without anyone behind or sometimes even in front of the space I want, I will look for another place to park. My freezer stuffing skills are way better than my parallel parking skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, there was so much to choose from, all looked delicious. Hard to hold back on some but we managed, lol! I hear you on parallel parking :)

      Delete
  5. Well your husband got the vehicle parked, that's the main thing..freezers, my husband is good packing ours.
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, if there's a will, there's a way and he is a great driver. I leave the driving to him these days and he leaves the freezer to me :)

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    Your veggies and bread sound wonderful. It has been a long time since I had to parallel park, I like spots where it is easy to see when I have to leave. My hubby is in charge of the freezer, things tend to get lost in there. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, I can't remember how long it's been since I parallel parked, so I was glad Gregg was up to the challenge :) I know what you mean about the freezer. You take care and have a happy weekend also.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Obrigada :) Um abraço e um bom final de semana pra vocês também.

      Delete
  8. I will drive forever and seek out a diagonal parking space. Even if I have to walk extra steps to my destination. Can't, couldn't, won't!!! I told Bud long ago to buy one of those Buick SUVs that park parallel with a push of a button. I'd still be leery.

    Loved going to the market with you two, buying all the goodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, I am the same way and when I have been on my own I avoid all parallel parking :) Those Buicks would be ideal. When I read about how there are vehicles driving themselves now, it sure gives me pause. Glad you enjoyed my trip to the market. Even the gentlemen having their get together, drinking their coffee and shooting the breeze made for an interesting excursion :)

      Delete
  9. Now, that's an interesting thought -- treating your freezer like a jigsaw. That makes perfect sense. I love farm markets and this sounds like a good one (despite the parking experience!) I know what you mean -- I'm not out that much either (and probably less and less!) French toast sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, I love these markets too. We have been to one regularly in the summer months. The next best thing to growing them ourselves. On the weekends we treat ourselves to more than the usual light breakfast, such as the French toast. Trying it with the new bread we bought :)

      Delete
  10. Moja córka jest weganką i namawia minie na bycie weganką. Miałaś wycieczkę na targowisko pełną wrażeń ale udaną :) Miłego weekendu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moja synowa jest weganką. Zrobiła nam wiele pysznych posiłków. Jesteśmy wszystkożerni, ale starajmy się jeść więcej warzywnych posiłków. Dziękuję i życzę bardzo udanego weekendu :)

      Delete
  11. We're pretty good at parallel parking. The heckling would have driven me mad, though.
    A lovely haul. I am reluctant to leave the house these days. JB shops every two days, as he need to get out and needs the distractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, we need more practice, and preferably without all the extra help, lol :) Your husband sounds like mine. He likes to get out also, I enjoy staying at home more and more.

      Delete
  12. I thought the parking issue was going to end up with a few dents in a couple of cars. so much for my prediction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Red, that was not the case though I was a bit nervous about that ;)

      Delete
  13. I can see why you were flustered by all that yelling going on. Thankfully, Gregg did a good job and everything was fine. LOL. Love the sight of that pile of bell peppers. Love those in my stir fries. And the bread came in handy for breakfast. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda, yes he did and he is an excellent driver. Bell peppers are great in stir fries. And I have just had a BLT with a couple of slices of the bread. It definitely was very yum :)

      Delete
  14. I needed a laugh really bad! And here it is and I have left! This is just too funny and I would never have even tried to parallel park it has been years and years and years as in maybe 40 or 50 since I tried that. I always drive to where I can pull in forward no backing allowed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy to give you a laugh Sandra, especially as I know you have had such a stressful time lately. Hope you are all getting back to normal now. You and I are sympatico with driving into spaces rather than backing into them.

      Delete
  15. Denise, I chuckled as I read about your experience at the market! I avoid parallel parking like the plague. When I got progressive lenses years ago it really affected my ability to back into a space. Your purchases sound wonderfully delicious. We have a small market in our town that we have not visited once this summer. I'm afraid we are staying away from crowded areas still. My freezer requires the help of my husband as my Daddy used to say he could pack an elephant in a Volkswagen. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy this gave you a chuckle Martha Ellen. Interesting about those lenses but that makes sense for sure. I haven't personally parallel parked in a long time and avoid it like the plague also. I hear you about crowds and am the same way. The market wasn't that crowded as we went after it hadn't been opened for very long. Probably wouldn't have gone any later. Lovely saying about your husband from your Daddy :)

      Delete
  16. Oh boy, I can only imagine all those parallel parking experts helping out. Yikes. I would have rushed straight to the bread stall! My freezer skills need to be sharpened, as in marking what I put in there. Mystery items are way too frequent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed I didn't buy a trunkful of bread the way I was feeling :) Mystery items can be a fun thing, lol!

      Delete
  17. what a fabulous haul, of course you had to get some bread haha. That is some photo on the stilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm trying to be more like your husband and less flummoxed. But yes, I have no interest in being around people or their nonsense in real life at the moment, LOL. Glad I have friends like you who visit me online ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying also Cloudia :) and your comment gave me a chuckle. I am glad for you also ❤️

      Delete
  19. I always enjoy visits to Farmers Markets.
    I do like the photograph of the men on stilts.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun aren’t they Jan? Happy you liked the men on stilts. You enjoy your weekend also and all the best.

      Delete
  20. There's nothing like a Farmer's Market in town. Those are some nice looking bell peppers. I get them at the store every time because they always make whatever I'm cooking taste better. Your french toast sounds good. I haven't had that in a long time. Sometimes I put powdered sugar on top instead of the syrup. I'm glad you brought home some bread. There's nothing like it, and I always say that I can eat just bread and butter as a meal. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sheri and enjoy them tremendously :) We always buy bell peppers, a lovely addition to a meal. Powdered sugar sounds wonderful on French Toast, will have to give that a try. I agree about the bread and this company bakes a wonderful variety. I could make a meal out of good bread and butter!

      Delete
  21. I laughed out loud at your parking story -- wish you could have ever seen me directing my husband into a back-in RV Parking space -- we have often been the entertainment for the entire RV Park or resort, often because I am so very poor at it! (and yet surprisingly we are still happily married)!. .... oh that produce looks so good. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping it would give people a laugh. Thanks so much Sallie :) I couldn't imagine having to back an RV. It would give me the horrors! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!