Monday, August 16, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BREAKFAST - SPAM, CABBAGE AND EGGS

This recipe is from a video on YouTube.  The host's name is Jenneth Icao.  You can see it here.  My version is a variation on corned beef hash.  I have noted a few changes below the recipe but kept the original ingredients below.


Spam, Cabbage and Eggs

Crack 3 eggs into a small bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk until combined.

Cut half a head of cabbage into small dice.

Mince 2 cloves garlic.

Small dice 1/2 of a red onion.

Cut 3 slices of spam and cut that into small dice.  

Heat a frying pan and when hot carefully add 5 tablespoons of oil.  (If you think this is too much you can always add enough to suit your own dietary needs, or leave it out and adjust as necessary.  I added less and used olive oil.)

Sauté the garlic and onions until softened.

Add the diced Spam.

At the same time add the cabbage and mix  thoroughly.  Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the mixed eggs, carefully, so that it cooks but doesn't entirely disappear into the other ingredients like mine did.

Mix in 4 tablespoons oyster sauce.  After another minute or so, your meal is ready.

We ate this at lunch time and we both thought it was very good and will have it again.  Not just for breakfast, but for any time of the day.

The changes we made: 

I didn't have a can of Spam in the pantry.  I used Corned Beef instead.  

We added more than the three slices called for, but this again is entirely up to your own taste.  I'm sure you can use another meat for this breakfast dish, or no meat at all.

We also added 2 heaping tablespoons of Chili Crisp. This is the brand we used.  It adds a bit of heat, a little kick.

This is the brand of oyster sauce we have in the fridge.  It's a thick, dark sauce.

For garnish we shared an avocado.  It went well.  

There's a shopping trip planned today and I will be buying Cilantro, or a sprig of Parsley would be nice for a garnish if you don't like Cilantro.  Or a few slices of green onion.

We were thinking of adding corn next time, and serving it on a bed of egg noodles.  These discussions we have after our meal.  

When we had our leftovers the next day, I topped it with a poached egg (next time I will not add the mixed eggs if I add the poached one).  A buttered crumpet along with a small glass of orange juice was a very nice addition. My dear other half suggested the poached egg and as we had just bought crumpets, I suggested one of those.  A poached egg on toast is a favorite breakfast of ours.  

This time I also added a sprinkling of Furikake Umeboshi.  We definitely had a fusion going on with this meal, adding a few ingredients that we have had several times before, and thought it was delicious.  It's fun experimenting.


Thanks for looking and enjoy your week.




38 comments:

  1. Love the flexibility you approach recipes with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good! And would be perfect for a fall breakfast or brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and I don't often follow the recipe, it's just a guide sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I used to follow a recipe to the letter, but thanks to hubs I am a little more adventurous these days :)

      Delete
  4. I don't and never will have Spam. Just the thought gags me. Now, using canned hash for this recipe sounds MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, not everyone’s cup of tea I know, but I quite enjoy Spam :) we even went to the Spam Museum once on our cross country road trip, as hubs wanted to visit. It was a fun visit. I will have to share those photos again one time.

      Delete
  5. This looks really good. I'll admit though I was liking it until you got to the oyster sauce. I think I would have to leave that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ann, I had the same reaction once, but if you have never had oyster sauce (and not a vegan as I have family members and friends who are), you'll be surprised. It really doesn't taste fishy or oystery :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am smiling! Bud and Gregg would get along great :)

      Delete
  7. I usually do my cabbage with a little ham. But I have done it with smoked sausage too. Have you ever sliced it and grilled it....YUM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham and Cabbage, love it! Smoked sausage would be yummy too. Gregg's Mom used to slice and grill the ham if I'm remembering correctly, very thinly because it was Virginia ham and that's very salty but delicious! :)

      Delete
  8. I like spam and I like can corned beef, I try to keep it on hand. This dish sounds delicious! I have never had oyster sauce. I must try. I will make this with the poached egg or fried on top. Love cabbage. We grew up eating spam and mom would fry it for breakfast sometimes. Ukrops used to sell crumpets, cannot not find them in the stores anymore. I have a recipe and will make them. I love eggs benedict too. The poached egg and crumpet made me think of it. Safe week ahead wished for you with the calling of thunderstorms and flooding in low lying areas. I get a little leery driving know a big tree could fall in weather like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betsy. We had two large trees cut down out back recently. They were dying and we were advised to get it done Did not want them falling on our house. I love eggs benedict. You have given me the idea to make them. I would like to try making my own crumpets too. Safe week to you also :)

      Delete
  9. Hello,
    I do not care for Spam, it looks good. Maybe another ingredient could take the place of Spam. Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very easy to replace the spam with a favorite of yours Eileen. Thank you, you have a happy new week also :)

      Delete
  10. sounds very delicious denise, i would use corned beef myself, i am not a spam lover!! i like it with the egg on top. i used to make corned beef hash years ado and i always added potatoes to it, i have not made it in a long time!!

    i love cabbage, cooked or not...i love cole slaw!! it's a great vegetable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The corned beef goes well with this Debbie :) I added coleslaw to a meal we had tonight. We both enjoyed it.

      Delete
  11. looksyummy I have the same bottle of chili crisp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know how delicious it is :) We introduced it to our son also, he loves it. Thanks Christine!

      Delete
  12. Ps...just to clarify from your comment at my bird photo blog...it's ocean/gulf water temperature 80° or below (not air temp)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood, thank you for clarifying that Anni :)

      Delete
  13. I think your choice of avocado for the garnish was a good one :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, we love avocados in this house :) All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. This looks very good, Denise. I must admit I have never eaten Spam, but have had a lot of corned beef growing up. I've never bought it though. Maybe that will change soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen :) I remember the cans of corned beef in my mother's pantry but never saw Spam until after I got married and moved here. Gregg introduced me to a Rubin Sandwich, so good!

      Delete
  15. You always make the most delicious dishes, Denise. I use that same brand of oyster sauce. Umeboshi furikake? I've never heard of that, but now I shall have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, so kind of you to say :) I hope you like the furikake. They have other types than the umeboshi.

      Delete
  16. Oh, I haven't had Spam in a long time. These dishes look delicious. It was nice to hear that Jimmy Deans sausage was a favorite in your family too. : ) I love the taste of it, and haven't found anything I like better.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we like Jimmy Dean sausage and it's one of those things that I buy when I come across a recipe. Like Spam, not something we have in the pantry all the time, but I do enjoy it on occasion.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Interesting William :) but then I expect I have some food I haven't tried either.

      Delete
  18. That's fun! I need new ideas for breakfast/brunch so this was timely. We are in love with chile crisp lately and I just read about furikake on the NYT cooking site. Now I definitely have to try it, if they and you both recommend it! ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the look of it Sallie :) Fun that you love chile crisp too. Hope you enjoy furikake as much.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!