Wednesday, August 25, 2021

BACK TO THE FAIRY GARDEN...

 at Meadowlark Gardens.  We were happy to be there again and it was a bit of a shock to realize it was our first time this year.  In fact we were trying to figure out when it was, and we both thought it was sometime last Fall.

The Fairy Garden is in front of the visitor center as you walk out the door and go to your left.  It had a new sign.
I was happy to see a few of the older fairies and friends, and delighted to see the new neighbors in fairy town.
More gnomes have moved in and there were get-togethers to welcome the newcomers.  They were singing...
A Fairy Song
Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire!
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the Fairy Queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green;
The cowslips tall her pensioners be;
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours;
In those freckles live their savours;
I must go seek some dewdrops here,
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
~William Shakespeare~
If you go to this link at Wikipedia, it describes fairies as being "...a type of mythical being or legendary creature found in the folklore of multiple European cultures (including Celtic, Slavic, German, English and French folklore), a form of spirit, often described as metaphysical, supernatural or preternatural." 
At this website you will read that "the Norse versions of the fairies are the wide variety of elves, and the disir that exist in the Teutonic traditions.  The Valkyries could be classified as fairies."
"The Female spirits known as the Disir (pronounced "DEE-sir;" Old Norse, Old Saxon idisi)  are one of the most enigmatic and vexing groups of beings in the mythology and religion of the pre-Christian Norse and other Germanic peoples."

"It was during the time of Queen Elizabeth I of England, where William Shakespeare (1564-1616) had popularized fairies in English folklore, in his play Midsummer Night’s Dream, with the characters Oberon, Titania and Puck (Robin Goodfellow). Earlier than Shakespeare, Chaucer (1342-1400) mentioned that the land of Britain was filled with fairies before the time of King Arthur."
If you pop into Pinterest every now and again, this link will take you to lots of ideas if you are interested in starting a Fairy Garden.  At this point in my life I won't be, but I do enjoy looking at the one next to the visitor center at Meadowlark Gardens.
It's been fun sharing the photos I took there last Sunday.  There will be others from the rest of the garden soon.







48 comments:

  1. A visit to the Fairy Garden is always welcome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful fairy garden. I've never ever seen one in person..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate in that we have one so close Margaret. They are far and few between :)

      Delete
  3. Ooooo! I would love to visit the garden. How enchanting!

    Love, love, love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee, very happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  4. How wonderful. This is the best fairy garden I've ever seen. At one time I had thought of starting one but then I never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I have also thought of it but those days are behind me. I am content to visit this one :)

      Delete
  5. Like yourself, Denise, I have no interest in my own fairy garden, which is good as we no longer have a yard for onw. That said, it was delightful seeing your photos of the ones at Meadowlark Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you enjoyed them Dorothy. I have seen small indoor planters on line where people put a small fairy garden in them. Such a good idea but haven't followed through :)

      Delete
  6. Such a magical garden to enjoy, give creative energy and connect with nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, fun, and MORE fun! I would so enjoy this venture, and no don't spend hour there. My favorite is the old fairy that lives in a shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cute one, I have photographed these shoes and their occupants several times. Thanks Anni :)

      Delete
  8. It is wonderful to see a gem like this fairy garden in the park. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gigi, I always enjoy seeing it, and never fail to stop by when I go to the garden :)

      Delete
  9. Darling fairy garden, Denise. So much creativity. I love thinking that fairies live in my garden, but they have to build their own homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martha Ellen, makes me happy that you enjoy this. I would like to know who put it together as yes, they must be very creative. I expect the fairies in your garden would be happy to build :)

      Delete
  10. oooooh it is just so sweet, enchanting!! it seems you don't hear about folklore anymore!!

    the pig is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more Debbie, and I love the little pig too. In fact, if you look closely at the first photo on the upper right, you will see another little pig with wings :) He also brings me a smile.

      Delete
  11. That fairy garden is just darling. I bet it really enchants the little ones who come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few little ones here Jeanie, always so excited at the fairies. Adults too :)

      Delete
  12. A fairy who uses a wheelchair. Somehow there is something sweet in that. It is a "welcome all", I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you noticed Sandi and I agree. Yes, everyone is welcome, no one is excluded, which is the way it should be.

      Delete
  13. I think fairy gardens are so charming. Almost makes me believe in "little people"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, that's a perfect description :)

      Delete
  14. the blue shoe and blue mushroom are gorgeous. In fact, I have never seen a prettier Fairy Garden! The new sign is very pretty, and the houses! Especially the green roofed one! I did not know about the Shakesphere connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely Ginny and it is one of the best Fairy Garden's I have seen :) It is an interesting connection isn't it?

      Delete
  15. Hello Denise,
    A wonderful tour of the Fairy Garden. The shoe with the curly toe is my favorite.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Eileen. Thank you, you take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  16. What a fun garden something our little grands would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your grands would enjoy Ellen. I have seen several little ones in awe of this garden :)

      Delete
  17. Oh, what a wonderful fairy garden. I have always loved fairies. Through the years, I've collected little fairy items, and one day Nel said that she was going to make a fairy garden in her back yard. So, of course, I gave her all the things I had. She did a wonderful job on it. The fairy garden that you went to is delightful. I love that blue shoe, the green window shutters, the gnomes, and the pumpkins add a special touch.

    Thank you for your prayers for the fires in California. It seems that we have been getting them every Summer, but one of them is a big wild one that has burned many acres. Please continue to pray.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, me too :) Nel must have been very excited when you gave her your fairies for her garden. So glad you enjoyed. I have been following the news, first thing I do when I come down in the morning. Still sending my prayers to you all out there with the hope that your fires will be extinguished quickly.

      Delete
  18. What a lovely tour!
    I have a fairy garden in my terrarium. It gives me joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful Jenn. Have you taken photos of your terrarium? I would love to see them :)

      Delete
  19. What a delightful place. I've never seen a fairy garden before.
    Enjoyed all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you G-Granny G, this is the only one I have seen in our area. It always delights and so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  20. Interesting. I imagine that children enjoy that garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, they certainly do, adults too :)

      Delete
  21. We all need more of what you have filled this post with dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy a visit to the Fairy Garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!