Thursday, June 3, 2021

ANSWERS TO YESTERDAY'S QUIZ QUESTIONS

  

In what year was the first-ever Wimbledon Championship held?

1877

On July 9th, 1877, the Wimbledon tournament begins when the All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club begins its first lawn tennis tournament at Wimbledon, then an outer suburb of London.  Twenty-one amateurs showed up to compete in the Gentlemen's Singles tournament, the only event at the first Wimbledon.   The winner took home a 25-guinea trophy.

Tennis has its origins in a 13th-century French handball game called jeu de paume, or "game of the palm", from which developed an indoor racket-and-ball game called real, or "royal" tennis.  Real tennis grew into lawn tennis, which was played outside on grass and enjoyed a surge of popularity in the late 19th century.

You can read more here.


What substance are our nails made of?

Keratin.

Keratin is one of a family of fibrous structural proteins known as scleroproteins, a-Keratin is a type of keratin found in vertebrates.  It is the key structural material making up scales, hair, nails, feathers, horns, claws, hooves, calluses and the outer layer of skin among vertebrates.  Keratin also protects epithelial cells from damage or stress. 

You can read more here.

Added note 6-4-21: Anni from Hootin' Anni's Day Trippin' gave us extra trivia, and I am including part of her comment below.

"Did you know fingernails and toenails are one of the first things to develop in embryos?"

That's very interesting Anni, thank you :)


What was the first state (U.S.)?

Delaware.  Statehood was granted December 7th, 1787.  Delaware, a small Mid-Atlantic U.S. state, sits on a peninsula marked by dune-backed beaches bordering the Atlantic Ocean, Delaware River and Delaware Bay.  In Dover, the capital, First State Heritage Park encompasses 18th-century Colonial landmarks like the Georgian-style Old State House.

Maps of Delaware


And for those who don't come from the US, here it is in relation to the USA map.


A more whimsical version of the state.


State Flower is the Peach Blossom
State Tree is the American Holly
State Bird is the Delaware Blue Hen
and you can see the other symbols for the State here.

An added note 6-4-21, from Inga of Desert Canyon Living.

The following is from the comment section.

"About Delaware, being from Sweden, I would like to add that Swedes established a colony in Delaware in the mid-1600s, called New Sweden. Later, of course, they more famously settled in Minnesota."

I found that very interesting, thanks Inga :)



Which African Country was formerly known as Abyssinia?

Ethiopia.  Ethopia emerged as an empire under the Aksumites, to its current form as the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, as well as the history of other areas in what is now Ethiopia, such as the Afar Triangle.   The Afar Triangle (also called the Afar Depression) is a geological depression called by the Afar Triple Junction, which is part of the Great Rift Valley in East Africa. The region has disclosed fossil specimens of the very earliest hominins; that is, the earliest of the human clade; and it is thought by some paleontologists to be the cradle of the evolution of humans.  You can read more here.

Map of Ethiopa...

and another showing where it is in Africa.



In which European City would you find Orly Airport?

Paris.  Orly is an international airport located partially in Orly and partially in Villeneuve-le-Roi, 8.1 miles (13 km) south of Paris, France.  Orly remains the busiest French airport for domestic travel and the second busiest French airport overall in passenger traffic.  You can read more information here.

Map of Orly Airport...

and one showing where it is located in France.


What is often seen as the smallest unit of memory?

Kilobyte.   The kilobyte is a multiple of the unit byte for digital information.  The internationally recommended unit symbol for the kilobyte is kB. You can read more here.


Thank you so much for joining in.  I enjoy trivia and as I have mentioned before, no pressure and all for the fun of learning, or refreshing our memory.  


 


30 comments:

  1. What a cute little face to see! Well, at least I don't get them ALL wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not, and we know more than we did yesterday :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. It's fun to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Veronica, so glad and yes it is :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I had two correct, Delaware and Orly in Paris. It is good to learn new things. Now, if only my brain could remember the answers, lol. Have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super and indeed it is :) Yes, retaining is getting harder for me too, says I with a smile ;) Happy day and a great weekend to you also :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Isso é ótimo e espero que você tenha gostado do questionário. Um abraço e um feliz final de semana pra vocês também :)

      Delete
  5. At least I got the two I thought I knew right! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great and thanks for joining in Martha. Hope you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  6. i JUST WISH i could retain these answers. if you run the same post questions tomorrow i will not remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but hope you have fun too :) Thanks Sandra!

      Delete
  7. I wondered if it was Delaware. It's a state that doesn't get a high profile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and one day I would love to visit. Thanks William :)

      Delete
  8. Now, if I could only remember this. These are interesting questions and answers. keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red, yes, retaining can be hard. I tend to have to revisit these questions and answers a few times for them to stick. Now come back in a year's time and ask me, lol!

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed these answers...keratin and 1877 stand out in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Christine :) so happy you had fun.

      Delete
  10. Always good to learn new things as you are showing us, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Dorothy, and thank you :)

      Delete
  11. Very interesting post, thank you and also thanks for visitig my blog. About Delaware, being from Sweden, I would like to add that Swedes established a colony in Delaware in the mid-1600s, called New Sweden. Later, of course, they more famously settled in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting information Inger, thank you so much for sharing that :)

      Delete
  12. Well, I didn't do too badly :)
    Great post(s) and interesting to read the answers and information, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed Jan, and thank you. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  13. these are fun and i enjoyed them. did you know these?? if you did, you are incredibly smart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words Debbie. Smart? Well, I am a lot more well informed after I do these quizzes :) Some I know, some I don't but I always love learning even at this stage of my life, and above all I enjoy.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for teaching us, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Kay. With you being a retired teacher, I appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!