Monday, June 14, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - MIXED MUSHROOM EGG BAKES - SERVES 4

Today's recipe comes from The Kitchn.  The original recipe can be found here and its contributor is Megan Gordon.  I always suggest taking a look, not only for this recipe but for all the other delicious ones on there.  Also, Megan shares a lot more information on making this dish.

Mixed Mushroom Egg Bakes - serves 4


Butter or cooking spray

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/3 cup minced shallot (from about 2 small shallots - I used 3)

8 ounces sliced mixed fresh mushrooms (suggested: cremini, oyster or shiitake, stems removed before slicing.  I used Portobello and regular white ones)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (I had no fresh thyme so used dried.  Conversion says to use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs to every 1 tablespoon of fresh.  I used 1 teaspoon in total and that seemed more than enough for our tastes.)

6 large eggs

3/4 cup whole milk

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F. Coat 4 (8-ounce) ramekins with a little butter, or use cooking spray instead. Place the ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet so they’ll be easier to move to and from the oven; set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the shallot and sauté until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme and remove from the heat.

Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly between the ramekins. Divide the cheese over the mushrooms. Pour the egg mixture over the top, stopping just below the top of the ramekin.

Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the tops are golden and have puffed slightly and the eggs are completely set, 20 to 25 minutes.


Megan's notes: 

Muffin tin egg bakes: You can make these in regular muffin tins instead. Just be sure to grease the pan adequately so they don't stick and check on them after 10 minutes.

Storage: Cover and refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days.


What did we think?  

big thumb's up from both of us. 

These can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.

I cooked them in the four 8-ounce ramekins recommended, though it was suggested you can use muffin tins.  

We ate two when cooked and cooled a little, and kept the other two in the fridge for the next morning.  They heated up well in the microwave, 50 to 60 seconds was what I liked, but your microwave may need more - or less - depending on the kind it is and how hot you like your food.  Seems a bit too much to turn on the oven just for two.  I don't have a toaster oven but I would think you can use that to reheat them.


Thanks for looking and have a great week.



37 comments:

  1. It looks so yummy! I am copying this and making it for breakfast one morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you like it Ginny :). Thank you!

      Delete
  2. They do sound good. And, since I am the only mushroom eater, they will be a treat just for me (when next he goes away). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue :) Nice to have those treats.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado! Um abraço e uma boa semana para você.

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise
    The egg bakes look delicious, I will try this recipe.
    It is nice to have some pre-made to save for another day.
    Have a happy day and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, so glad :) You have a happy day and great week also :)

      Delete
  5. This recipe is similar to what we did last week, Denise. Ours was a veggie frittata and included zucchini, yellow squash, peppers onions which were cut in small cubes, seasoned with olive oil and herbs and baked. They were transferred into a deep dish pie plate and Beaten eggs and cheese were poured over before baking. And, like you did we also enjoyed reheated leftovers the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful Dorothy :) I will have to try that combination. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. This is an easy comment to make. I don't like eggs but my husband would absolutely love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I am hearing more and more people who don’t like eggs :)

      Delete
  7. Delicious! I make mine almost the same way but usually do the muffin tins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, I will have to try those muffin tins :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoy your Monday recipes Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy, thank you for saying that Ellen :)

      Delete
  9. this is a good one denise, one i will definitely try. it's nice to cook a recipe knowing someone tried it and recommends it!!

    i don't have a toaster oven either and i am always cautious with putting the oven on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful and when you do I hope you enjoy it :) Thank you Debbie, like minds on the oven.

      Delete
  10. This looks and sounds a very nice recipe, many thanks for sharing it here.
    Enjoy your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan. Enjoy your week also and all the best from me :)

      Delete
  11. Well I bet that is tasty. Looks easy enough to make.
    Thanks for sharing Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret, happy you like the look of it. Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. I love egg bakes. This looks delicious and super easy! Thanks, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. my mother like mushrooms a lot dear Denis
    thank you for the tasty recipe
    blessings to you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!