Monday, June 7, 2021

MONDAY RECIPE POST - WILD RICE SALAD WITH CRANBERRIES, APRICOTS AND AVOCADO


This is a gluten-free and vegan friendly recipe, can be served at special holiday meals or any time. You can find the original here at Healthy Seasonal Recipes hosted by Katie. Thank you Katie for a delicious recipe.

Wild Rice Salad with Cranberries, Apricots and Avocado

Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories per cup: 213

2 cups wild rice
3 tangerines, divided
1 avocado, cut in half and pit removed
1 small shallot, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons agave or honey
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped parsley
1 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Place rice in a large saucepan.  Cover generously with water. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer, and cook until the rice is just tender but not mushy, 45 to 50 minutes.

Zest and juice one tangerine.  Segment the remaining two tangerines and set aside.  Add the zest and juice to a blender.  Scoop 1/4 avocado into the blender.  Add shallot, oil, vinegar, mustard, agave or honey and salt.  Puree until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.

Stir the hot rice into the dressing and let cool to room temperature, 35 to 42 minutes.  (If you are preparing this in advance it can made up to this point 2 days before.  Continue with the rest of the recipe just before serving.)

Stir in parsley, pecans, cranberries, apricots and the reserved tangerine segments.  Dice the remaining avocado and gently stir into the salad.


This is one of the meals I transferred from my old blog, but have made it several times since.  It is delicious with many wonderful flavors to enjoy.  I did make a few changes originally. 
 
My local supermarket didn't have any tangerines so I used small regular oranges which I cut into small pieces.

I couldn't find any wild rice and instead I bought two boxes of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mix but didn't use their seasoning packets.  You would have to adjust your cooking time and follow the directions on the box for cooking this rice mix. 

Toasting the pecans made them have a smoky roasted flavor which was yummy.  

Thanks for looking and have a great week.




34 comments:

  1. It is plated beautifully, and is very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, always looking for healthy but tasty dishes :)

      Delete
  2. Looks so interesting! I will be trying this. I would love to be on your blog roll. Oatmealandwhimsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayla, thank you and I will be happy to add you to my blog roll :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Denise,
    What a delicious and healthy meal. Thanks for sharing
    Have a nice week
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria and you are very welcome. You have a nice week also. Hugs from me :)

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    Sounds like a wonderful recipe, looks delicious too.
    Take care, have a happy day and a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you think so. You take care also, and have a great week :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Obrigado :) Fico feliz por você achar que a refeição parece deliciosa. Um abraço e uma feliz semana para você também.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! It would make a perfect summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh denise, this looks and sound so good!! i love the ingredients. i always toast notes when i use them in a recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great dish, I would love to eat it. But, too labor intensive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, I wish I could make you some :)

      Delete
  9. I love anything with rice, seems I can never get enough of it, especially the wild, red, black etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, we enjoy rice in this family also :)

      Delete
  10. I'm gonna try this. A great summer dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so tasty. We enjoy a good rice dish around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, we enjoy our rice around here also :)

      Delete
  12. This has every ingredient I like here, Denise! Thanks -- I can see this on our summer table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Jeanie, thank you so much! Enjoy :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!