Wednesday, June 9, 2021

BLUEBIRDS FOUND DURING OUR WALK NEAR WALNEY VISITOR CENTER

Continuing our walk not far from the visitor center at Ellanor C. Lawrence Park (5-21-21), we were sitting on the bench near the kitchen garden. 

and saw something staring at us.
It wasn't long before we saw the nesting box just inside the fenced off area.

We were glad to see more bird activity, and the bench was a perfect place to observe a pair of Eastern Bluebirds going back and forth.  

It didn't take us long to realize that Cicada's were on the menu.  (I've noticed a definite absence of birds at our backyard feeders and was wondering why.  It didn't take long to realize that something else was on their menu.)
It seemed to me that the parents took it in turns to feed their babies...
and were cleaning house at the same time.
Apparently Bluebirds are ground feeders by nature, and I read suggestions about how to normally stock the feeders if you want to attract them.  They like berries and other fresh fruit such as sumac, holly and even raisins.  Above all they are attracted to mealworms. 
Bluebirds are cavity nesters, and often take up residence in tree cavities.  They will also make use of this kind of nesting box.  They like snug boxes with a 4-inch square base and a 1-3/4 inch diameter entry hole.
Every time they came back they had a Cicada in their beak, like the one below just before its final molt.  A bluebird can spot caterpillars and other insects in tall grass at a distance of over 50 yards.
Nesting occurs from March through August.  Only the female incubates the four to six eggs, which she maintains at a temperature of 98 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
This American Robin wasn't too far away.   Early colonial settlers named the American Robin for its resemblance to the familiar but unrelated European Robin, which is smaller but also sports an orange breast and upright stance.  Our American Robin  actually belongs to the thrush family.
We left them in peace and went down to the pond.  Those photos I will share soon.




36 comments:

  1. Your photos are adorable! I did not know how far away they can spot insects, that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny:) I always enjoy my sightings as they are not everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Amazing photos and such pretty birds. I enjoyed them all.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia, I am happy you enjoyed xo :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful things - with incredible eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of the birds. Thanks for the info about the bluebirds. It must have been fascinating watching them feed the babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :) You are very welcome and yes it was, we really enjoyed the opportunity.

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise,
    The Bluebirds are so pretty, one of my favorite birds. Wonderful collection of photos.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I can see why it is a favorite. You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos well done. Sorry I have not been keeping up with blogging or following, just too busy in the garden during the day and in the kitchen when I move inside. I have quite a few photos that I have taken but just no time to blog them, I will get there eventually!
    Meanwhile take care and keep well, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, good to hear that you have been enjoying your garden and kitchen. I look forward to your photos when you have the time. Life needs to take precedence. You take care and keep well also :)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic photos Denise, they are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent photo of the male. they are beautiful and yay for them eating at the cicada buffet. get those bugs while you can, another 17 years before the buffet opens again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra and I have to say I have enjoyed this cicada experience :)

      Delete
  9. Such pretty birds! You have a keen eye and a quick finger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to have shared in your walk, Denise. We never had any luck attracting bluebirds when we lived in VA, so lovely to see this assortment. I smiled after reading Sandra's comment about the cicada buffet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, happy you enjoyed and yes I smiled too :) especially as I saw one of our squirrels enjoying one yesterday :) The noise they make isn't quite as loud today I noticed.

      Delete
  11. Blue birds are a very gentle critter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned a lot. I am not sure we get Eastern Bluebirds in Oklahoma. Wish they did to help clear out the cicadas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad those cicadas aren't any bigger ;) Thanks Yogi!

      Delete
  13. What a fine walk! I long to see a bluebird someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, it is a rare sighting and one I consider a true gift :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!