Thursday, January 7, 2021

A WINTER POEM


Talking in Their Sleep
"You think I am dead,"
The apple tree said,
"Because I have never a leaf to show,
Because I stoop
And my branches droop,
And the dull gray mosses over me grow.
But I'm still alive in trunk and shoot;
The buds of next May
I fold away
But I pity the withered grass at my root.”

"You think I am dead,"
The quick grass said,
"Because I have parted with stem and blade.
But under the ground
I am safe and sound
With the snow's thick blanket over me laid.

I'm all alive, and ready to shoot,
Should the spring of the year
Come dancing here
But I pity the flower without branch or root."

"You think I am dead,"
A soft voice said,
"Because not a branch or root I own.
I never have died, but close I hide
In a plumy seed that the wind has sown.

Patient I wait through the long winter hours;
You will see me again
I shall laugh at you then
Out of the eyes of a hundred flowers."

1854-1925
~~~


Edith Matilda Thomas was an American author and poet in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Thomas was born in 1854 in Chatham Center, Ohio. She received her education at the Geneva Normal Institute. Thomas gained national attention with her poetry and novels that reflected her interest in Ohio and the Western Reserve. Scribner'', The Atlantic Monthly, The Century and other prominent magazines published her poems. 

Her writings include "A New Year's Masque and Other Poems," "The Inverted Torch," "The Dancers," and "The Children of Christmas." 

Thomas acknowledged the influence of American author Helen Hunt Jackson on her own work.





20 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    And no, not dead, but resting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought so :) The words and picture I took last year spoke to me.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Lucyna, that's a lovely way to put it.

      Delete
  4. beautiful snow and words...love the poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice winter poem :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, makes me happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!