Wednesday, January 6, 2021

ANSWERS TO YESTERDAY'S QUESTIONS


Question: What kind of bird is a raptor?

Answer: Raptors are birds of prey, such as eagles and hawks, etc.  You can find a whole list of them here.  You can see them after a short scroll down to the list if interested.


Question: What is unique about the migration pattern of the Arctic Tern?

Answer: The Arctic Tern breeds in the southern section of the Arctic, and winters along pack ice near Antarctica, 11,000 miles away.  The distance it travels is greater than that of any other species of bird.  At this website there are more interesting facts about them.



Question: What is unique about the migration of the Monarch Butterfly.

Answer: The Monarch Butterfly migrates over 2,000 miles from its summer home in the Northern U.S. and Southern Canada, to the mountains of central Mexico.  The most fascinating facts about this story though is that the migrating butterflies have never before been to the southern winter grounds.  The generation flying to the southern winter grounds was hatched in the summer grounds up north.  More interesting facts can be found here.  They are also in decline so this page shows you how we can help.



Question: What do birds dream about?

Answer: According to a 1998 University of Chicago study, birds dream about singing. In fact, when asleep Zebra Finches rehearse songs.  (When they are awake they warble more perfectly.)  

(You can read a more updated explanation here.  There is a longer explanation here.)



Question: Do all dogs bark?

Answer: No.  The Besenji from Central Africa yodels, chortles, growls and snarls, but never barks.





18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know Christine, I couldn't quite wrap my head around that one but thought it was extremely interesting, as was the article I read.

      Delete
  2. My very favorite and the most awesome is about birds and sleep. I read every bit of both your links. They sleep with one eye open! And swifts sllep while flying!!! amazing!! But I would love to know how they got those electrodes in their tiny heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ginny, I thought that was amazing but when you think that AI's will be able to communicate and have conversations with animals and birds, maybe we will be able to ask them ourselves. We won't need Dr. Doolittle :)

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I knew the first three answers, but I did not know that birds dream. It makes sense they dream about singing. I would love to hear a dog yodel. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen and I agree and I would also like to hear that yodeling dog :) Happy day and week to you also.

      Delete
  4. i am not sure i beleive the birds dream, there is no way to KNOW that.. I did know the butterfly but did not remember it until i read it. in other words had heard it but did not remember it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your skepticism Sandra, it seems a bit of a stretch but I loved the thought and who knows? I read about things and then forget, love refreshing later :)

      Delete
  5. How precious to think birds dream about singing! You jogged my memory now about the dog. Now I remember my son telling me that years ago, something he learned in school I suppose. These are always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Martha and that's interesting about the memory the conversation with your son. Thank you, so glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  6. Now I want to listen to birds dream - who knew they dream of songs! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we will all be able to one day Carol :) Me too!

      Delete
  7. "They" can know, how/what birds dream??????????????

    Soooo, can "they" know, what humans dream, without being told? -smile-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your meaning but science has come a long way, reaching only the tip of the iceberg on so many things :) I wonder what our ancestors would have thought about men like Leonardo Da Vinci who drew designs of flying machines? I probably would have understood their skepticism too.

      Delete
  8. I'm so surprised about birds dreaming. Such a lovely thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea too Martha Ellen, which goes to my belief that we are all connected :) across all species.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if everything dreams....these are fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to know and glad you had fun with this read Rose, thanks for going back to look.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!