Monday, May 6, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - CHICKEN FRIED RICE - SERVES 4

 

I found today's recipe at Kitchen Sanctuary hosted by Nicky. The recipe was excellent and we will be making it again. The original recipe came from this website. Always encourage going to their blog to see not only notes, tips and photos, but the measurements are metric. I have only used Imperial.


Chicken Fried Rice - serves 4 - calories per portion approximately 477


2 tbsp vegetable oil (we used avocado oil)

1 onion peeled and diced

1 red bell pepper deseeded and finely chopped 

2 cloves garlic peeled and minced

2/3 cup frozen peas

2 cups cooked shredded/sliced chicken

½ tbsp sesame oil

4 cups cooked and cooled long-grain rice

2 eggs

2 tbsp dark soy sauce (we used low sodium soy sauce)

¼ tsp salt

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

3 or 4 spring onions, chopped (for garnish)


Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large wok on medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes until the onion starts to turn soft and translucent.

Add remaining vegetable oil, chopped red bell pepper, garlic, and peas. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring regularly.

Now add chicken and sesame oil. Stir together, then add in the rice and turn up the heat to high.

Use a spatula to mix everything together. This also prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Stir until all reheated for about 5 minutes.

Push the rice over to the side of the pan and crack two eggs in the space. Add a splash of soy sauce to the eggs.

Making sure the part of the wok with the eggs in is over the heat, fry the eggs, giving a mix with the spatula until the egg starts to cook and look scrambled, but is still a little runny.

At this time mix the egg into the rice.

Pour in the remaining soy sauce, sprinkle on the salt and mix it all together.

Add the lemon juice, stir and taste. Add a little more lemon juice if required.

Divide between 4 bowls. Top with spring onions. 


Nikki's notes state that this can be made ahead. She suggests spreading the cooked rice out in a large dish so that it will cool quickly. Then cover and refrigerate for up to a day. 

Important to note do not leave at room temperature as bacteria can grow on cooked rice very quickly.

This being the case, refrigerate very quickly.

Don't store for more than 24 hours in the fridge and thoroughly reheat it. 

Reheat in a wok, over a medium-high heat, moving it around the pan with a spatula, until piping hot throughout. 

You may need to add an extra splash of oil, as the rice will have absorbed the oil whilst in the fridge.

She also says this can be frozen.

Again, cook the rice, then spread it out in a large dish (so it will cool quickly) cover and freeze.

As before, don't leave cooked rice out at room temperature. Bacteria can grow on cooked rice very quickly, so it's important to freeze it as quickly as possible and defrost in the refrigerator overnight (don't store in fridge for more than 24 hours). Thoroughly reheat it in a wok, over a medium-high heat, moving it around the pan with a spatula, until piping hot throughout. You will need to add an extra splash of oil, as the rice will have absorbed the oil upon storing.

Add an extra squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh chopped spring onions on top before serving.

If you have any doubts, please read Nikki's notes at her website.


Changes made:

We added a whole bag of pre-sliced cabbage bought from the supermarket, the type you usually make coleslaw with. This was put into the pan after cooking the onion, along with the other veggies. There was red cabbage in the mix, and I only mention this because I read recently that there are more nutrients which you can read about here. The bag of coleslaw cabbage wasn't bought for this reason, it was the only one available. I seem to be reading more articles on nutrition and health these days.

We used avocado oil instead of the vegetable.

Gregg thought - for our own taste - this dish would benefit from either Thai basil or chopped Cilantro. We like both and I think he has a point.

Gregg did most of the cooking, so he also added 2 tablespoons of Chili Garlic Paste, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 4 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, stirring into the ingredients at the end of the recipe. He is an adventurer, more so than I am, and it all turned out great.

We used low sodium soy sauce.

After adding the sliced green onion for a garnish, I also put a tablespoon of chili crisp on top of mine, drizzling it all over my portion.  

Gregg added a tablespoon of sour cream to his.

From the chili garlic paste to the sour cream, you can obviously leave all of this off if you prefer.

I thought sliced mushrooms would be a nice addition.

I also must remember not to cut the cooked chicken into such teeny pieces. It just about disappeared into the mix never to be found again!  I dislike chunks and suggested to dear other half that I would do the task this time. Afterwards, when we sat down to eat, he said where was the chicken (it was an already cooked rotisserie from the store the day before - we already had one meal and there was a lot of it left). I did go a little overboard and promised to do better next time. Yes I am smiling. My brain was racing that day and that knife was flying. The knife was giving the cutting board a real workout.

There were two meals left for the next day, and it tasted even better. 

I tend to make additions as I think of them, so check back after a couple of days if you are interested in this recipe. 

That's it! If you have any questions let me know in the comment section and I will do my best to answer.












48 comments:

  1. I had to smile as I read this. I think I will try it, but with rotisserie chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy it gave you a smile Ginny, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. It looks filling and delicious, and a great way to use up some leftover roasted chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you enjoyed it. Hooray for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Denise that is a very tasty recipe.
    Have a beautiful and creative week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked it Katerina, thank you so much and I wish the same for your week also :)

      Delete
  5. That does look delicious.
    Usually I make my own coleslaw as I always have the two cabbages in the fridge, just small amounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret and that's great. We usually have cabbage in the fridge. A favorite around here :)

      Delete
  6. We make two versions of fried rice, both delicious - one Thai, one Vietnamese. Lots of scope for improvisation in a dish like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both excellent David and a very versatile dish :)

      Delete
  7. i love chicken fried rice and also use smoked sausage sometimes.. the thing is mine looks ugly on the plate and taste delish. you have a talent for 'plating' food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and sausage sounds excellent. I can't imagine anything you do would look ugly Sandra but thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete
  8. I think men are more adventurous cooks than women, judging by the menfolk in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds and looks delicious. I'm impressed by Greg's adventurous additions to the recipe. I'm never quite that brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it all started when he asked me to make Thai food when we couldn't get to his favorite place a few years ago. I asked for help chopping up all the veggies as I was having trouble working with my fingers. After a while he realized how much he enjoyed cooking and from preparing to the actual cooking process :) He's better than I am at being adventurous and the same applied when we were traveling more. We saw a lot of great out-of-the-way places on our road trips.

      Delete
  10. I like that you cook together. That's a wonderful activity. Go easy next time with the knife. I wouldn't want huge chunks, but I do need to see the meat when I eat. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, it's fun. Yes, gotta go easy on the knife, I had a talking to by my safety officer :) And yes, he wants to see the meat too, lol! Have a lovely day too :)

      Delete
  11. The chicken fried rice looks delicious, some times hubby and I cook together.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice that you and hubby like to cook together too.Thank you and you do the same! Love your Monday post picture and the great quote. Thanks for those Eileen :)

      Delete
  12. very interesting dear Denise :)
    to avoid stickiness in rice i add few drops of lemon juice while cooking rice actually
    you made me smile when mentioned about disappearance of chicken in the rice dish lol
    so true so chicken must be cut into medium pieces so can stay visible .
    i would love to add carrot pieces in the dish but i know season is gone
    thanks for the lovely post and beautiful words on my previous post !
    God bless you and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear baili, thank you so much for the tip with the lemon juice and my husband will definitely agree with you on the chicken :) Carrots would be a delicious addition. You are very welcome regarding my comment on your post, we truly need to know our self worth, and you my dear friend are very worthy. God bless you and your loved ones also :)

      Delete
  13. Lubię takie potrawy. Dziękuję za przepis. Dobrego tygodnia życzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo. Jestem szczęśliwy, że Ci się podoba. Tobie również życzę dobrego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  14. I was thinking right from the start that this would be a great way to use leftover Rotisserie chicken ! I too am way more likely to carefully follow a new recipe -- Bill is more adventurous. That said, this recipe really is sort of a template with many possibilities as you say .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You described it beautifully Sallie, so many possibilities. Sounds like you and Bill are like us :)

      Delete
  15. This dish looks really good, Denise. You always have a variety of foods prepared for your dinner each and every day. When I was growing up, my mom never made white rice, it was always brown or Spanish rice, so when I had kids, I made it a lot with my meals. I still love it to this day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the look of it Sheri, thank you :) I like rice also but the only time I ever had it growing up was in rice puddings. Savory rice dishes were unheard of in my family. I only discovered those after coming here when I was 25.

      Delete
  16. I enjoy all your culinary experiments and that you share them. I'm a bit lazy in the kitchen these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, makes me happy you do. There are times we take it easy in the kitchen also. It's sometimes very nice to put what I call our throw-together meals on the table. And we have been out and about quite a bit so have eaten out also.

      Delete
  17. Denise this recipe catches my eye, my taste buds, my love of chicken and it is so easy. You took a great photo of it too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Cecilia, so glad and thank you :) Sending hugs!

      Delete
  18. Pleased you enjoyed it :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  19. Looks very good and sure it tasted even better the first and then the second day, Denise. Those store bought rotisserie chickens are well worth the cost which is only $5 at the local BJs. We always get at least 2 and often 3 different meals out of one and then use the carcass for chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) most definitely! They are great for finishing up with soup.

      Delete
  20. Love your Gregg's additions, especially the peanut butter. I'm impressed with his abilities in the kitchen. What a wonderful way to use a rotisserie chicken. Sounds like a very tasty meal. Thank you for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, he has become a very capable chef :) You are very welcome, glad you liked the look of this.

      Delete
  21. Another great Monday recipe. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley, thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!